Art on Royal (aka Art Actually) - out of business?

Does anyone know if Art on Royal is out of business? I was on the June 16th cruise and bought a piece at the auction but it hasn't arrived yet. On July 9th, I contacted them via email and they replied that the piece would ship around August 11th.

I emailed them on Aug 19 and also on Aug 21... no answer.

I have tried calling the two numbers on the artactually website, but they ring through as an error ring. I called RCCL and they gave me another number, but I called that number and it says it is out of service.

I am going to call RCCL again tomorrow to see if I can get some straight answers, but wanted to check on here first.

1) Has anyone received their artwork purchases they bought on Oasis on or after June 16th?

2) Has anyone been on Oasis since June 16th and noticed if Art on Royal is still on the ships?

Does anyone know if Art on Royal is out of business? I was on the June 16th cruise and bought a piece at the auction but it hasn't arrived yet. On July 9th, I contacted them via email and they replied that the piece would ship around August 11th.

I have tried calling the two numbers on the artactually website, but they ring through as an error ring. I called RCCL and they gave me another number, but I called that number and it says it is out of service.

I am going to call RCCL again tomorrow to see if I can get some straight answers, but wanted to check on here first.

1) Has anyone received their artwork purchases they bought on Oasis on or after June 16th?

2) Has anyone been on Oasis since June 16th and noticed if Art on Royal is still on the ships?

I don't think RCCL is going to be much help most of the retail concerns on the ships are independent contractors

Art on Royal is absolutely still in business. I'm the art auctioneer on the Mariner of the Seas and I'd be happy to help you connect with the right people.

Normal delivery time for a work of art is 10 weeks, but it could go longer if customs is being a pain..... getting artwork off the ship sometimes isn't as easy as you would think.

You can email me at marcmaggard@gmail.com . Send me your name and the work of art you ordered and any other information that you'd have that would make it easy for me to get the right person to connect with you. Send me your phone number and I'll make sure you get a phone call.

The company is growing fast.... on most RCCL ships now.... most of the growing pains are over now, and things are going great. I'll be happy to get the right person in contact with you.

• 6 months later...

I also purchased art on the 60s and 70s cruise in November 2012. I have not received the art. I have emailed Art on Royal several times and was told that the art would arrive but it has still not arrived. I am now not receiving email replies and the email address in US has changed from artonroyal.com to Info@ArtAtSea.com. I will not buy art from Art on Royal or any cruise art company again. I will not travel with Royal Caribbean again either. They also said that as the art on royal was a contractor it had nothing to do with them. Warning-Beware!!

I also purchased art on the 60s and 70s cruise in November 2012. I have not received the art. I have emailed Art on Royal several times and was told that the art would arrive but it has still not arrived. I am now not receiving email replies and the email address in US has changed from artonroyal.com to Info@ArtAtSea.com. I will not buy art from Art on Royal or any cruise art company again. I will not travel with Royal Caribbean again either. They also said that as the art on royal was a contractor it had nothing to do with them. Warning-Beware!!

Thanks for the warning. I know exactly how you feel. A relative of mine had posters that he wanted covered and took it to a local gallery to do the work. He left it there and there was no response. After the stated date when he tried to call there was no answer. So he went to the store no one was there. Asked around where the owner was still no response. Finally after 4 months the owner just happened to be there but the work was not done :mad:

So while I agree that you are frustrated I was wondering if you tried calling the RCCL Corporate Office after the stated promised delivery date? Perhaps they were backlogged due to the holidays.

I hope you will give RCCL another chance sailing with them. I actually go to the art auctions not to buy but as an educational experience to learn about the art and to meet fellow cruisers who love art. The champagne(sparkling wine) they give is ok and its nice to hear more about the art and learn how the auction works. If I really want a painting I will go to a reputable gallery in my area and buy the artwork and frame.

I sensed that they marked up the price for the artwork and I would take an apprasier with me if I was serious about an expensive piece of art.

Art on Royal is absolutely still in business. I'm the art auctioneer on the Mariner of the Seas and I'd be happy to help you connect with the right people. .....

You can email me at marcmaggard@gmail.com . .

Please answer a question for me If I buy art on a Royal ship why can I not bring it off the ship with me? I would have probably bought two paintings I liked on the Navigator but because I could not take physical possession right then and there I didn't even try to bid on them.

Edited by lady_cruiser

Please answer a question for me If I buy art on a Royal ship why can I not bring it off the ship with me? I would have probably bought two paintings I liked on the Navigator but because I could not take physical possession right then and there I didn't even try to bid on them.

I just sailed a few weeks ago and was able to carry off a couple of great pieces. I have purchased from Art on Royal a few times and have had a great experience each time.

We purchased two pieces of art on our sailing - the first week of December. DH was hoping they would be a Christmas gift. Then hoped for Valentines. NOPE! After many emails and phone calls and promised delivery dates come and gone, our pieces arrived today. They are as beautiful as we remember... just wish we had gotten them in the 4-6 weeks we expected not 3 months.

Park West has had better customer service in our opinion. Wish they were still on Royal Caribbean ships.

Bought five works on Dec 16-23, 2012 Allure of Seas cruise and was told late Feb for shipment. Received email from UPS, packages (2) shipped 3/5/2013 and scheduled to arrive 3/11/13. UPS tried to deliver one on 3/8/13, and retry both on 3/11/13 and 3/12/13. Due to my inability to be home during the full 10:30 am - 2 pm delivery period, I went to their customer center to pick them up (sender required an in-person signing for). Opened the boxes and four out of the five were shipped :confused:. I'll call tomorrow about the missing one (have a receipt). The ones that did ship, look good and packaged well.:D

I just sailed a few weeks ago and was able to carry off a couple of great pieces. I have purchased from Art on Royal a few times and have had a great experience each time.

Thanks. We were told by the person in charge of the auction that it would be shipped. But, if I can walk off with it I'll buy a couple of pieces. We are in the process of remodeling our home and we need to update our art work.

Update from last night's posting: Called this am and after giving my name and explained one painting was missing. She asked which one and before I could tell her the name, she knew the missing one's name and that it missed the pickup from UPS and would ship in 1 1/2 weeks.:p

Edited by drj26

We brought art on voyager of the seas on the Christmas cruise. Told it would take around 6 weeks to arrive 3 months later nothing. In contact with others from our roll call and they have not seen their art either. My sister sailed voyager in November 2012 and guess what after several emails and RC promising to contact within 24 hours (never happens) still no art.

The admin staff at RC are dreadful at responsponding to customers.

I found the auctioneer on the ship wonderful and easy to

Work with. However once you leave the ship the customer service is gone.

It is a shame as the staff on board work really hard and most of the mistakes you read about comes from the onshore office customer service staff.

We are all happy to wait. It would just take an email from RC to keep us informed.

Is anyone else's waiting for art.

Contessa

• 11 months later...

Was on Explorer of the Seas in mid-October. Purchased three pieces. After waiting 10 weeks, I contacted Art on Royal directly. Was told one piece had been off-loaded from the ship and was at the framers (received the piece after 13 weeks of waiting), one piece had been received and was at their framers (it has been 8 weeks since then and still no artwork), and the third piece had not been received from the artist. I waited until week 16 and after four more calls to Art on Royal complaining why one piece was so delayed at their framers and one piece MIA, I decided to email the MIA artist directly. The artist immediately responded and apologized. They had never received any orders from Art on Royal. (The artist was kind enough to send me the piece directly and I paid them myself.) I called my credit card company, disputed the remaining charges and received a full refund.

I was told that Art on Royal laid off all their employees this week. Sound like someone was taking the money from RCL and running with it. No company can be this inept without some shady business going on (just my opinion). I would recommend if you are waiting for art and haven't seen it, you should immediately contact your credit card company and dispute the charge. RCL was very understanding once the credit card company got involved.

November 2012 and this is your first post on CC about this????? Somethings "fishy" here...:rolleyes:

Isn't RCI in the process of switching back to using Park West? I know that Park West was on the Liberty in December.

Park West was on board Vision when we did our b2b last June.

Art on Royal is a thing of the past.

Edited by cruisenfever

Thanks for confirming my doubts about purchasing art on Royal. This makes me feel even less guilty for going to the Art Auctions just to see the art and drink the sparkling wine.

My Cousin who runs an Art Gallery told me not to purchase art on a cruise because of the long time it takes for the orders to be processed as well as customs etc. She said if you like a piece just write down the information and order it from your local gallery.

When they say"This art is exclusive to Royal Caribbean" take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure you can find the same art or something very similar at your local gallery. Also the frame may not fit your room.

I would be very wary of buying art of Royal. I told my Cousin about how if your one of the first bidders and purchasers of the art you get a free dinner with the artist. She just laughed and saird'Thats another selling tactic"

Go for the free Sparkling Wine, sit there for the auction and leave but don't bid especially if you have any doubts.

Remember your Credit Card company will work with you to get your funds refunded. If its a day past the 10 week promise I would be calling my Credit Card Company. I'm sorry but if they did not even call me to say it would be further delayed its as if they never got my order.

I would much rather deal with an art dealer in my town who can work with me to get the pieces by the same artists I saw on board.

One thing I wish they would do is schedule the art auction to end before lunch begins. They would be going over the lunch on sea days in the MDR and would have to stop the auction for the daily announcement from the captain.

They should at least serve Cheese and Crackers to go along with the Sparkling Wine.

When i told my Cousin they advertise it as a Champagne and Art Auction and I told them they admitted to serving Sparkling Wine this is a misnomer as Champagne has to come from the Champagne reigion of France in order for them to advertise it as such. They could say "Wine and Cheese and Art" Social and serve Sparkling Wine. So this was one of the first things that went through my head if they can't even get that they are serving Sparkling Wine and not Champagne and then you buy this expensive art piece that fails to arrive something must be going on.

Edited by travelplus

Hi, I ordered two pieces on a cruise in August, with the promise of 8 - 10 weeks, and still waiting for it to arrive. I e-mailed them early in the New Year and they said it was yet to be shipped from the USA and then framed. Yesterday, I e-mailed them to ask for my money back as I've given up on ever seeing the art. How long can two prints take to be couriered from the USA to the UK.

I have not heard back from them but if I don't hear anything by the end of the week I'll be in touch with my credit card company for their assistance.

I'm on another RCCL cruise in a couple of months time and I feel like entering their auction and saying something in front of everyone!!

An update -- I received a call from RCL today. They told me they have ended their relationship with Art on Royal. If you still have not received your artwork, I would strongly suggest you dispute the charges with your credit card company.

The website for Art Actually is also now down. I'd say that's a "game over" message.

I'm highly suspicious about PW after their little fiasco a few years ago. Just google "Picasso frauds" and you'll start to find out why.

In fairness, I didn't see any "glued in" pieces on Serenade a few weeks ago. Last time I was on Serenade, there were some pictures glued to their frames that still failed to hide the printer calibration marks in the corners. Wasn't pretty.

Hi, I ordered two pieces on a cruise in August, with the promise of 8 - 10 weeks, and still waiting for it to arrive. I e-mailed them early in the New Year and they said it was yet to be shipped from the USA and then framed. Yesterday, I e-mailed them to ask for my money back as I've given up on ever seeing the art. How long can two prints take to be couriered from the USA to the UK.

I have not heard back from them but if I don't hear anything by the end of the week I'll be in touch with my credit card company for their assistance.

I'm on another RCCL cruise in a couple of months time and I feel like entering their auction and saying something in front of everyone!!

Have been waiting 16 weeks for art work to arrive had e-mail shortly after leaving ship in Nov 13 say art work would be sent in 8-10 weeks. Have since e-mailed Art on Royal and received reply saying that the person who was my point of contact had left and someone else was now dealing with my order.

Having not had any more contact started to read what was being written on this forum, have just spoken to RCI who have told me that RCI have broken of all contact with Art on Royal and a contacting anyone who had brought art while on there ships within the next couple of weeks by e-mail or in writing to deal with the situation to off full refunds for any art work not received.

This number may be of use 001 800 256 6649 let it go through the options and it will contact you to a operator who will be able to give you info.