Makeup, comfort etc on an overnight flight

Froufie

A couple of comments to other comments (does that even make sense??):

The "no jet lag" pills. I use them and I truly believe they help me. Yep, the "No Jet Lag" brand. I get them at my local REI store, but Magellans online has them. Be sure to follow those instructions for best results.

As for the comment about bring all the "extras" onboard the flight: my extras don't take up any more space than anything else. I bring one bag onboard, not a roller, usually a daypack. My sleeping pad rolls up into the size of a water bottle and it sits under me, so it's not a big deal. My inflatable footrest takes up the space under the seat, so it's no taking up space other than my own. I set up, settle in, put my headphones on and relax. I've done this on flights where I'm in the fully-loaded cattle car and when I fly Business class. At least I'm not one of those who comes to the flight with their full-size pillow and comforters, 23" rollaboard and the humongous tote that is being passed as a "purse" ;)

I did the no makeup and "travel outfit" look once, and the Rolling Stones were on my flght to Hong Kong. I felt like a dork and was too embarrassed to talk to them, even though they (especially Keith Richards) were very friendly with the passengers and flight attendants. Since then I have taken a little more care with my appearance when I travel, although unfortunately I haven't run into any more rock legends!

Oh my word talk about murphy's law! LOL I bet you looked better than you thought, but I can relate as I'm one of those "classic" traveling style people. Part of my being comfortable is being well dressed even if there's not another soul around.

Hi:) nobody can tell a person how to feel or not feel but sorry you

were so embarrassed that you did not even want to say hello:eek:

Just my opinion, but I am sure they would have said hello to you

without being concerned if you had eye make up on.......

I ran into the Stones in Vienna on Mick Jaggers birthday bash in the hotel we were staying at. The big old security man did not care if I had makeup on or not. Just a bother to get through the crowd and extra layer of security. They checked ID then with the desk every time you went out or in. I did get a really great picture of the tongue poster hanging outside my door on the bannister.

I prefer to keep my celebs on TV or at least out of my way. Now if Prince Harry were running around my hotel might be better than 60 year old Mick Jagger. :rolleyes:

So I am looking for advice and wondering if any of you have any tips for me?

I am very excited to be doing my first Transatlantic cruise in a few weeks and already getting panicky about the packing and preparations.

Wanted to hear from those with experience on what they wear, makeup, etc. on overnight flights to Europe.

I am at the point in my life when leaving the house without any makeup on might frighten some people :eek:- I do of course always want to look my best.;)

I will most like have my hair done that morning so that won't be a problem. So do I wear my makeup on the plane? (flight is at 9 pm arriving london at 7:30 am - connecting to 9:30 am flight to barcelona arriving noon)...

I am planning to wear my black stretchy yoga pants, t-shirt and fleece hoodie - will wear my runners in the airport but switch to comfier shoes for the flight.

Of course at home every night I wash my face/remove makeup/take some supplements, etc....guess that routine won't work on the plane?:p So will I turn up in London looking like crap? Guess I can wash everything off and refresh once I get into my BCN hotel?

I am NOT a good plane sleeper so expect I will be exhausted and have a headache by the time I get there.....might need a teeny tiny nap too?:rolleyes:

Any advise from experienced 'european' travellers greatly appreciated!

Hi Froufie,

We live in Perth, Australia and have flown to Europe quite a few times, which is a long, long flight. I would never dream of catching a flight without my full make-up. Why on earth would I give less respect to something as special as travel as I would to going to the shops? No, full make-up every time. However, in my handbag I always have a packet of make-up remover wipes, and when those lights go off and the snoring sounds start up, it's time to brush the teeth and remove all the make-up, and then slather - and I mean slather - on the moisturiser, including the neck and decollatage area. And as you are approaching your destination, you will certainly be awoken by cabin noises. Now is the time to apply some new make-up, probably just liquid make-up, blush (you will need this), lipstick and mascara. For me, because I am very pale, I always have to use eyebrow pencil as well. If I do use eye shadow at this stage, it's just a pale colour on the brow bone. A dab of perfume finishes things off beautifully. And then, when you are all excited, having arrived in London, and you are slowly moving forward in the immigration queues, pulling your carry-on bag behind you, and you gaze around at people who look, all pale faced and bleary eyed, like death warmed up, you will feel on top of the world, ready to smile and chat to the immigration and customs people, and having no need to hide yourself from people.

The clothes sound great, but don't forget some flight socks to keep the ankles from becoming cankles.

Have a great trip.

Cheers .. Bev

I am 54 years old and I don't usually wear make up on an overnight flight. Moisturizer yes but not makeup. I wear comfy clothes and the tight compression socks too. A friend of mine had a blood clot on a long flight but was ok luckily. I take Ambien also. It allows me to sleep about 4 hours which helps. I, too do not sleep at all until about 8:00 p.m. and then by the next day I'm fine. IMO if you sleep when you get there it will take you longer to acclimate to the time zone.

Have fun!

I travel internationally for business quite frequently, and in my late 50's -- I completely agree with those who have said to forego makeup on the flight. At most, I use a tinted moisturizer, cream blush and tinted lip balm -- anything to combat that dry airplane air! -- then freshen up with a moist makeup remover cloth just before landing. Some good eye drops to combat redness, a little more tinted moisturizer, blush and lip balm, and you will look and feel better than most folks around you. I like Laura Mercier illuminating tinted moisturizer; just put a small amount in one side of a clean contact lens case -- put a dab of cream blush in the other side of the case - and you have a very portable makeup kit!

So I am looking for advice and wondering if any of you have any tips for me?

I am very excited to be doing my first Transatlantic cruise in a few weeks and already getting panicky about the packing and preparations.

Wanted to hear from those with experience on what they wear, makeup, etc. on overnight flights to Europe.

I am at the point in my life when leaving the house without any makeup on might frighten some people :eek:- I do of course always want to look my best.;)

I will most like have my hair done that morning so that won't be a problem. So do I wear my makeup on the plane? (flight is at 9 pm arriving london at 7:30 am - connecting to 9:30 am flight to barcelona arriving noon)...

I am planning to wear my black stretchy yoga pants, t-shirt and fleece hoodie - will wear my runners in the airport but switch to comfier shoes for the flight.

Of course at home every night I wash my face/remove makeup/take some supplements, etc....guess that routine won't work on the plane?:p So will I turn up in London looking like crap? Guess I can wash everything off and refresh once I get into my BCN hotel?

I am NOT a good plane sleeper so expect I will be exhausted and have a headache by the time I get there.....might need a teeny tiny nap too?:rolleyes:

Any advise from experienced 'european' travellers greatly appreciated!

I have been flying back and forth between CA and the UK for the last thirty years. I always

wear my make up. As soon as dinner is over on the flight I use a wipe to remove my makeup and then I put a really good moisturizer on my face. Trust me after a 10 or 11 hour flight your face will thank you, because at the end of the flight your face will not feel tight and dried out.

If you're used to wearing makeup, then wear it. I'm like you - I like to look presentable when I travel. I always carry pre-moistened makeup wipes and use those to quickly wipe my face before putting on a good slathering of lotion before trying to sleep. Also put lotion on your hands and lower arms - super dry air affects every part of you.

I have some really lovely, super fragrant creams and I don't bring those as I know it annoys others on the plane (made that mistake before!).

If you don't like sleeping pills, consider taking a melatonin or "Midnight" pill (available at the drug store). These are herbal and will help you to naturally doze off without a hang over the next day. Best thing about Midnight is they melt in your mouth (no need for water), and they are only effective for about 4 hours - so they're good for the middle of the night. (BTW - when we flew in May I took half a Rx sleeping pill and it did nothing for me. I was too excited to sleep!)

Try to head to the restroom to freshen up about 1.5 hours before the flight ends. The restrooms get super busy in the last hour and you may wind up standing in line.

Enjoy your trip! I'm jealous!!

I have a "travel kit" that is kept in easy reach in my bag. I keep a travel toothbrush and travel toothpaste, trial size solid deodorant, small sample tube of face cream (.5 ounce or less), mini lip balm, nail file, small tube of hand cream (one ounce size from L'Occitane), single use packets of Immodium, Advil, and Zantac, safety pins, pack of tissues, and pre-moistened facial cleanser wipes. FYI, TSA has never questioned these few very small sized "liquids/creams/gels" not being in my 3-1-1 bag. These are the things you will "need" during a flight.

I wear light makeup--no eye shadow or liner which just smear all over. In the morning I use a makeup remover wipe at my seat to remove what's left of it, then reapply some powder, blush, gloss, and curl my lashes.

I wear yoga pants and a tee and a hoodie as well. I bring comfy socks to switch into once the plane is in the air. I also bring a large pashmina, makes a good blanket on the plane and a wrap for chilly evenings.

I bring a neck pillow. I keep mine in a bag with a lavender sachet or soap--the lavender scent is very relaxing, but only you will be able to smell it.

Keep in mind two things. About an hour before landing people will be waking up and the line to use the lav will be long. Don't plan on doing anything more than your business and maybe a 20 second brush of your teeth (bring a bottle of water, the water in the lav shouldn't touch your brush!) and a quick swipe of deodorant. Don't use time in the lav to apply makeup or fix your hair--do that in your seat.

Also there's no guarantee that your hotel room will be available when you arrive. There's a good chance that you won't get into your room until after 2:00 pm or so.

Here's another tip that worked really well for me on my last trip. Two weeks before my trip I began to set my alarm 15 minutes earlier each day. I also went to bed 15 minutes earlier. I ended up on a much earlier time zone, and woke up feeling fully rested at 3:00 am the day my trip started. By the time I got on the plane and had some dinner, I was very tired and fell asleep. I got enough sleep that after we arrived, we checked into our hotel, showered, and went out sightseeing. We did not nap, we stayed awake until almost midnight by choice, we were having fun and not overly tired. We woke up the next morning fully integrated into the new time zone.

One other tip--Mucinex Nasal Spray. Use it on the flight. I swear it helps fend off germs. Since I began using it daily, I have not been sick. And I fly at least a few times a month.

snip...I bring a neck pillow. I keep mine in a bag with a lavender sachet or soap--the lavender scent is very relaxing, but only you will be able to smell it....snip.

This is a really good idea, will use it on our next flight. I always have a small travel bag in my carry on with things needed on board, head ache tabs etc

Sandy in Spain

What sort of ones do you recommend?

Sandy in Spain

I don't like eye masks, I always feel like the elastic is pinching my temples.

My neck pillow came from Brookstone. It's got a satin bottom and a fuzzy plush top. I find it comforting. I also use it as a lap pillow sometimes when I'm reading. It's a bit bulky, but it's one of the few things that I find are worth hauling along as it really helps me get some sleep on a plane.

sleep pillows are really a matter of preference. Kind of like the Goldilocks syndrome - some are too soft, some are too stiff, some are just right. You just have to keep trying until you find one that you like.

I know I can't do the standard U-shape in any format - air, buckwheat, fill, whatever. They don't offer me enough support. I tried a Komfort Kollar from Magellans and it was too "tall" for my neck. I returned it for a Luxe Support Travel Pillow from Magellans and it did the trick. The drawstring that allows me to adjust the level of support around my neck was nice. The longest trip I've used it on was a multi-leg flight Dallas-London-Nairobi and back again. Very comfy the entire trip.

But, again, you mileage may vary on what is comfy for you...

Hi Froufie,

We live in Perth, Australia and have flown to Europe quite a few times, which is a long, long flight. However, in my handbag I always have a packet of make-up remover wipes, and when those lights go off and the snoring sounds start up, it's time to brush the teeth and remove all the make-up, and then slather - and I mean slather - on the moisturiser, including the neck and decollatage area. And as you are approaching your destination, you will certainly be awoken by cabin noises. Now is the time to apply some new make-up, probably just liquid make-up, blush (you will need this), lipstick and mascara.

Cheers .. Bev

Here in the US we are severely limited as to the ounces of liguids & creams we can carry onboard an airplane. All must fit into 1 quartsized clear plastic bag. Any suggestions for moisturizer, liguid makeup, and toothpaste?

I travel internationally for business quite frequently, and in my late 50's -- I like Laura Mercier illuminating tinted moisturizer; just put a small amount in one side of a clean contact lens case -- put a dab of cream blush in the other side of the case - and you have a very portable makeup kit!

What a great idea. Thank you.

Here in the US we are severely limited as to the ounces of liguids & creams we can carry onboard an airplane. All must fit into 1 quartsized clear plastic bag. Any suggestions for moisturizer, liguid makeup, and toothpaste?

You can buy empty travel sized containers and put your favorite brands into them. That said, I get sample sizes of my moisturizer and take those. You can buy travel size toothpaste in any drug store. I don't use liquid makeup, but have never seen one over the three ounce limit.

I like the Wisp disposable tooth brushes, from Colgate - small, you don't need water to use them, and the handle has a flexible pick. I stock up at the dollar store - 4 to a package, for $1.

Here's a link for the same product, at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Colgate-Wisp-Peppermint-16-Brushes/dp/B001TH8Y60

I second that - they are just the best thing to keep in your handbag at all times.

I don't like eye masks, I always feel like the elastic is pinching my temples...snip

Yes, that´s what I´ve found, but some now have velcro fastenings. Some are not just flat like the old days, but looked almost pre-formed giving a space between the mask and your eyes.

Has anyone used these?

I have a blow up neck cushion with a sort of suede finish, but it´s not that comfy. I don´t blow it up to it´s full capacity, but I think it needs some sort of fabric cover. I´ve seen people carrying a sort of been bag neck support, but althoug it might be comfy, it looks a bit bulky and would take up too much space in the hand luggage.

We have a couple of loooong flights to/from Sydney next year, so want to be snug while snoozing. Earlier this year we flew with Virgin and one of their entertainment channels contained a relaxation channel, almost self hyponsis

Sandy in Spain

I´ve seen people carrying a sort of been bag neck support, but althoug it might be comfy, it looks a bit bulky and would take up too much space in the hand luggage.

Mine does, but it is what it is and using it allows me to really sleep as opposed to doing the nod and bob for the entire flight. Due to the sleep factor, I find it worth the extra space and have hauled mine along everywhere. I usually don't put it in my bag, I loop it around the handle. They don't count them as "carry on's."

I like the Wisp disposable tooth brushes, from Colgate - small, you don't need water to use them, and the handle has a flexible pick. I stock up at the dollar store - 4 to a package, for $1.

Here's a link for the same product, at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Colgate-Wisp-Peppermint-16-Brushes/dp/B001TH8Y60

Interesting concept - altho some of the reviews are not that good? And of course have never seen those here in Canada! (I remember finding a 'disposable toothbrush' inpregnated with toothpaste at the kids' orthodontist office - will have to check that out at next appt):)

Also have a couple of those 'foil' packets of toothpaste they provide in the sample basket on carnival cruises - very handy for travel (along with my folding toothbrush) - and yes I NEVER would think of using the bathroom water to drink/rinse (In fact I have read never to drink coffee or tea on a plane as the water is never really 'boiled':eek:)

Loving all the tips by the way - esp the one about 'adjusting' your body clock by going to sleep and waking up earlier a couple of weeks before travel. And I will be using the 'no jet lag' pills as mentioned.

I also have one of those 'smushy' neck pillow things - not an inflatable one so yes it's a bit awkward but will definitely bring it along if it helps me rest!;)

Finding the perfect pillow is definitely the "holy grail" of travelers on overnight flights.

I have tried the u-shaped neck pillows (both inflatable and with the microbeads inside), lumbar pillows, side pillows, etc. Honestly, what works best for me is the standard, airline-supplied pillow. I just carry a small pillowcase from home and put it on the pillow and voila, I'm set. I can use it however I need it, but I find it is most comfortable to me when positioned just about between my shoulder blades (vertically not horizontally). On occasion I have also used it as a lumbar pillow and have even sat on it on one long flight where the padding in my seat seemed to be nonexistent.

P.S. On quite a few aircraft that fly long-haul, the "wings" of the head-piece on your seat can be adjusted to wrap around and cradle your head. This does tend to help with the "head bobble" when sleeping, especially if you further line it with a small pillow.

Finding the perfect pillow is definitely the "holy grail" of travelers on overnight flights. snip...

P.S. On quite a few aircraft that fly long-haul, the "wings" of the head-piece on your seat can be adjusted to wrap around and cradle your head. This does tend to help with the "head bobble" when sleeping, especially if you further line it with a small pillow.

Wings on seats are OK, but I´m too short...they for people about 5ft4+ and I´m only 5ft:(

Sandy in Spain

Wings on seats are OK, but I´m too short...they for people about 5ft4+ and I´m only 5ft:(

Sandy in Spain

Ah! I never thought of that since I'm just over 5'7"!!

Do your feet dangle too? That would definitely be uncomfortable on a long flight...:(

Archived