Who will take a Tux on Voyager??

Having cruised mostly with P&O UK and Cunard recently, I am now well kitted out for "Formal" nights. However, last night we went to our local RSL club for dinner - and I thought for a while that we had entered the public bar of the local pub - so I am wondering what to take on our cruise on RCCL Voyager of the Seas??

I realise that only 1% wear Tuxes on Aussie P&O /Princess ships - and the only experience I really have of Aussies on other ships have been on Cunard ships- both in overseas and Aussie waters, and most did wear Tuxes on those.

So - what to expect on Voyager sailing out of Sydney????

Barry

Having cruised mostly with P&O UK and Cunard recently, I am now well kitted out for "Formal" nights. However, last night we went to our local RSL club for dinner - and I thought for a while that we had entered the public bar of the local pub - so I am wondering what to take on our cruise on RCCL Voyager of the Seas??

I realise that only 1% wear Tuxes on Aussie P&O /Princess ships - and the only experience I really have of Aussies on other ships have been on Cunard ships- both in overseas and Aussie waters, and most did wear Tuxes on those.

So - what to expect on Voyager sailing out of Sydney????

Barry

I haven't been on Voyager, but I suggest you take your tux. We have cruised many times on Princess Australian ships, and estimate that one-quarter of men wear tuxes, and most of the others wear lounge suits. On P&O, I have seen only between two and 10 tuxes on a formal night.

I haven't been on Voyager, but I suggest you take your tux. We have cruised many times on Princess Australian ships, and estimate that one-quarter of men wear tuxes, and most of the others wear lounge suits. On P&O, I have seen only between two and 10 tuxes on a formal night.

Thanks -- but should I take the black one or the white one?? :rolleyes: I got a white dinner jacket as well when I got the black Tux - and haven't worn it yet , because it isn't "de riguer" to wear white in a cold climate, only in the Tropics. I am dying to wear it -- but NZ isn't exactly tropical either.

casablanca7.jpg

Barry

I'm often bemused by what people think they should or shouldn't wear.

If you want to take it and wear it...........DO IT!

Don't let other people dictate what you feel comfortable in. If your comfortable wearing your tux (I like a tux too) then..........DO IT!

Of course, the opposite goes too :p

I'm for the tux. A formal night is a formal night. If you don't have a tux, a lounge suit is fine but if you who don't want to take part in formal night, get out your casual gear and eat in Windjammers, Plantation or Horizons and enjoy your night too.:)

Cheers

Di

I'm for the tux. A formal night is a formal night. If you don't have a tux, a lounge suit is fine but if you who don't want to take part in formal night, get out your casual gear and eat in Windjammers, Plantation or Horizons and enjoy your night too.:)

Cheers

Di

I agree with Di. If you are not prepared to dress up, go to one of the other restaurants on formal night.

Hi ,

I have cruised on RCI a few times .I always take a tux...mainly for Diane like to dress on formal nights and it packs better than my lounge suits....doesn,t crease as much and its more comfortable.

Col:)

Formal nights were a non event on Liberty of the Seas (Europe) last month. The girls dolled up every night, and on Formal nights, even in MDR, most men were wearing open neck shirts and dark pants. A few had a jacket but that ended up on the back of the chair. A couple of men were in tuxedos but only a few in the full dining room.

Makes sense. Very Hot, and Port Intensive cruise ports where most excursions last around 12 hours.

Definitely go the Tux Barry. It's so nice to see people dress up for an occasion. That's something that doesn't happen often enough in Australia these days.... having been to a wedding where some were wearing very casual jeans and their best shirt...:eek::eek:

When we were on Voyager everyone dressed very well on the Formal nights, and I must say it was so nice watching them walk passed as we sat at the Pig and Whistle pub. Some beautiful Tux's and evening dresses were to be seen, as well as the Scots on board looking stunning.. :)

Love it.

Jill:)

That's something that doesn't happen often enough in Australia these days.... having been to a wedding where some were wearing very casual jeans and their best shirt...:eek::eek:

Had dinner in the dining room of our local RSL club a few nights ago - for a while I thought I was in the public bar of the local pub.

:mad:

Barry

• 4 months later...

Just bumping this thread back to the top again -- now that VOS has come and gone a few times out of Sydney, just wondering about the number of men in Dinner suits /Tuxedos on formal nights.

Any reports please??

Barry

On the RCL liberty med cruise last year, while the girls glammed up the guys didn't. I don't get how people have time to dress up formal on time for early sittings when they've been on port excursions. In the med, you return around 6.30 or on one RCL excursion, just 15 minutes before sailaway at 7pm. After the first sitting had started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the RCL liberty med cruise last year, while the girls glammed up the guys didn't. I don't get how people have time to dress up formal on time for early sittings when they've been on port excursions. In the med, you return around 6.30 or on one RCL excursion, just 15 minutes before sailaway at 7pm. After the first sitting had started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes -- but I am more interested to know how it has been on the ship out of Sydney. The passenger mix on a Med cruise will be totally different to that from one out of Sydney

Barry

Thanks -- but should I take the black one or the white one?? :rolleyes: I got a white dinner jacket as well when I got the black Tux - and haven't worn it yet , because it isn't "de riguer" to wear white in a cold climate, only in the Tropics. I am dying to wear it -- but NZ isn't exactly tropical either.

casablanca7.jpg

Barry

a white Tux jacket is acceptable in any climate as long as you were dressed in it before 5.30pm

We were on the Sydney - Hobart cruise with mainly families on VOS in Jan. There were some tuxedos but mostly suits worn though. Generally most made some attempt to dress nicely. There were a few long gowns on the ladies but I noticed most of the ladies did dress well each evening. My husband always takes his tux but dresses it down a little with matt shirts and shiny silk ties. Did a similar cruise last Feb on the Radiance and a large percentage did wear tuxedos. The VOS did not dress to the formal standard of the QE but the average age was probably 30 years younger on VOS. My advice is to take your tux and wear it. Interestingly there is also a formal hire shop onboard VOS.

Archived