Cruise is 9/10/12 DH Lost Passport

Grannygirl21

One of the couples that is going with us on the Triumph out of Galveston to Cozumel just informed his wife that he cannot find his passport or BC. He was born on a military base in Germany. We are sailing in 2 weeks. I think I know the answer to this but is there any thing he can do?

If not, does Carnival allow her to take someone else on the cruise? Will it cost extra $$?

Thanks

You should be able to get an emergency replacement passport issued in that timeframe, you'll have to pay an expediting fee, but it can be done. Good luck!

But...If he doesn't have the old passport for ID, isn't he going to need the birth certificate that he can't find, either? EM

He will need his proof of US citizenship in order to get a new passport issued, even as an emergency. Likely he was issued an FS 240, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, but there are other State Dept. citizenship documents he could have had. (The German BC is useless as a US citizenship document.) If he cannot find the passport, Consular report or obtain a duplicate soon, the wife can change her travel partner, but there will be a fee, usually $50.

Other proof of citizenship is the social security card and any military record if you have been in the military. I have used my DD214 before and they accepted it.

Last effort is to contact your congressman for help. (S)he has an office in your area that would be more than happy to help. That is one of the reasons they are there for. I have used mine one time and it works.

I'm sorry, but neither a social security card nor proof of military service (dd214) are acceptable as proof of citizenship; both are available to non-citizens who are living in the US legally with a green card.

It may be that your records were accessed using those documents and your citizenship was obtained from those records, but citizenship cannot be ascertained just from having a social security card or a dd214. Since the 2009 full implementation of WHTI, rules are much more exacting.

If he was born in a U.S. military hospital in Germany, he would have been issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. (I used to prepare these documents at a U.S. Consulate in Germany). Here's how he can get another one: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_825.html

Unfortunately, I would be surprised if he could obtain it before the sailing date. But contacting the office of your U.S. Representative could help. (I also used to work for a U.S. Representative and we tried to assist on these kinds of issues as well. We weren't always successful, but we tried.)

Since he had a passport, they can look that up.

I recently had to get another one issued since I couldn't find mine, but had obtained my birth certificate (several copies) prior. Made an appointment at a post office and had the new one in about 18 days, standard processing.

In this case, you might have to visit a passport office. I think they want proof of travel within 14 days. I almost went that route a few months earlier. I wasn't sure if a cruise would be proof enough, so was considering a refundable international air ticket for them to see.

Try the following link for lost or stolen passports http://www.uspassportnow.com/services/LostStolenPassport/Rush

Also, there is a Passport Office located in the Mickey Leland Federal Building. The location is 1919 Smith St #400, Houston, TX

(877) 487-2778 () ‎ · travel.state.gov

I vote for going with whatever IDs you can obtain to the passport office.

You will also need a passport photo with you to give to them at the window.

The problem is that the man in question has NEITHER a passport NOR a birth certificate (in his case, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad). If he had been born in the U.S., he could present secondary proof of citizenship in order to obtain a passport, but since he was born overseas, according to the Department of State website, he would have to present all of the following as "secondary proof of citizenship: Your foreign birth certificate (translated to English), Evidence of citizenship of your U.S. citizen parent, Your parents' marriage certificate,

a statement of your U.S. citizen parent detailing all periods and places of residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.

Since the man in question is not likely to have all of those documents, his only means of showing proof of citizenship is to obtain a copy of his Consular Report of Birth Abroad. It would simply be a waste of his time to go to any passport office without it.

Can he get to a Federal Building? Does he have a copy of his passport?

You only need a copy of your passport (possibly not even that) to replace a stolen/lost passport abroad. Why should it be more difficult in the US?

Funny story-

The InLaws are returning from the NYE 2006 cruise on the Paradise in Long Beach. FIL's passport number is flagged as stolen and was replaced in the UK. He's in CBP limbo for several hours until they are convinced he is telling the truth and his number was reported stolen in error.

At the same time DH is able to convince Carnival to allow him to sail, on the very next sailing, with his hospital BC. DH had no problems getting back in the country.

Archived