Checked Luggage inspection

JYD Hawkeye

Never cruised before. I was interested if checked luggage gets inspected, x-rayed, or anything else ? Do they only inspect your checked luggage if they catch you with something in your carry on bag or is it just random ? With 1000's of people trying to get on a ship, seems like it would be hard to check large numbers of peoples luggage. How hard is it really to just put a bladder, flask, or shampoo bottle of liquor in your' checked baggage and get away with it ? Do you duct tape the checked baggage around the zipper to keep handlers out of it ? If you do duck tape it, does it draw more attention to the guys who check luggage for banned items ?

Never cruised before. I was interested if checked luggage gets inspected, x-rayed, or anything else ? Do they only inspect your checked luggage if they catch you with something in your carry on bag or is it just random ? With 1000's of people trying to get on a ship, seems like it would be hard to check large numbers of peoples luggage. How hard is it really to just put a bladder, flask, or shampoo bottle of liquor in your' checked baggage and get away with it ? Do you duct tape the checked baggage around the zipper to keep handlers out of it ? If you do duck tape it, does it draw more attention to the guys who check luggage for banned items ?

Every bag is checked and x-rayed.

Do not put anything of value in a checked bag.

As for duct tape or locks, I never do.

Luggage gets checked just as it does when you fly -- it's xrayed, examined, etc. And if they're suspicious, whether you duct tape it closed or not, they'll open it and inspect the inside. If they find something, your luggage never makes it to your cabin -- you are called to come claim it, and show them what they're suspicious of.

Lots of people smuggle liquor in their luggage. Many (not all) of them are caught. When they're caught, the smuggled booze gets confiscated and discarded.

I never pack anything of serious value in my checked luggage, don't smuggle booze or anything else, and have had luggage inspected, locked or not. So yes, it does happen.

All checked luggage is x-rayed -- same type of machines just like at the airports.

Also when you enter the terminal -- you will go through security and everything you have with you that you are carrying onto the ship will be x-rayed. Same type of machine as in the airports.

We just use the TSA locks and never put anything of value in our suitcases.

Yes I lock my suitcase. And many times it has been opened and inspected. The locks are cheap and I do not care if they break them open. It is just to discourage fleeting hands. You can pick them up at a Dollar store for 2 for one price.

I agree that you should never put anything of value in your checked luggage. Costume jewelry can sometimes be very expensive so beware. You should have plenty of room in your carry own.

I also will put heavy items in my carry on. Otherwise my large suitcase is always over the 50 lb limit.

Hope this helps.

LOCK any suitcase that is not in your possession. They will go thru an xray...they have no need or right to paw thru your things...so lock your bags!

Never, ever put anything of value in your checked luggage....that stuff should be in your possession at all times.

There is no weight limit of import on the ship....but if you're flying, that's who will dictate how much your bags can weigh!

I'd assume our bags are x-rayed, but we've never had them opened by a cruise line. I always thought (from reading here on CC) that if they wanted to inspect your bag, they called you to the "naughty room" and had you open it.

We always lock our luggage as well. Personal preference.

Everything is X-rayed how carefully we never know and there is always reports of things getting by. However if you are thinking of liquor they are likely going to spot it unless it is in something like Shambooze or the Rum Runner product. Frankly, i never lock our bags, just use cable ties to keep the zippers from coming undone; everything of value is in our carry ons

Suitcase locks do not keep thieves out of the bag. If they want into it, they will open it easily. We use zip ties only to be sure the zippers don't open by accident.

All checked luggage is x-rayed as indicated by the other posters.

Some cruise lines will hold a suitcase that seems to contain 'contraband' and will require the guest come to a specified area to claim it. They will open it in the presence of the owner to inspect the suspect item(s).

We saw this from our balcony a few years ago. This is the liquor that was found in carry-ons. The blue barrel in the background, of the 2nd photo, was also filled plus we saw a table with more bottles as we were walking through the terminal prior to boarding the ship.

Someone at our Meet and Mingle told us that they had to go down to the "naughty room" to retrieve their luggage (they had an iron in their luggage) and they had several tables there with every type of container people though would make it through inspection but didn't.

So if you want to smuggle hope the best and expect the worst.

liquor2.jpg

liquor1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
the smuggled booze gets confiscated and discarded.

Our first cruise with Royal Caribbean we had a bottle of champage that got through. We didn't even realize we couldn't bring it! Our second cruise with Royal Caribbean we decided to try to get some wine and Bailey's Irish Cream through. We got caught and called down to the naughty room, however they returned our full bottles to us on the last night of the cruise.

With Carnival my husband put his bottle of wine into his checked luggage by mistake instead of in his carry on (one bottle of wine per person in the carry on is allowed on Carnival.) They, too, saved our wine and delivered it to our cabin on the last night.

I've put two bottles of wine in my checked bags on every cruise. I've never had my wine confiscated and therefor have never been called down to "The Room" to open my luggage, my luggage has always been delivered to my cabin.

One time I bought some rum from the boutique on board, as expected it was kept until the last afternoon, then my cabin attendant delivered it to my cabin.

Last cruise out of Southampton, the xray machines for the checked bags seemed to be on the dock even before the bags were given to Princess staff. (I was looking from a distance, so could be wrong.) The guys running the machines had the uniform of the port authority and not Princess.

This could vary by location on the planet too as the ship must comply with local law for each port it is in. Once at sea, it makes the rules. I can not quote the fine print of my cruise contract, but I bet it says something about them having the right of search.

For me, I can save perhaps $10 on a good bottle. Even if I get to keep and drink it, I may have to spend an hour of my time 'negotiating' its freedom. I have burned the savings in stress during MY vacation.

LOCK any suitcase that is not in your possession. They will go thru an xray...they have no need or right to paw thru your things...so lock your bags!

Never, ever put anything of value in your checked luggage....that stuff should be in your possession at all times.

Suitcase locks do not keep thieves out of the bag. If they want into it, they will open it easily. We use zip ties only to be sure the zippers don't open by accident.

It amuses me to know that some people actually think locking their luggage makes it more secure. It does not. Watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI In less than a minute, the author opens and reseals a suitcase with a common pen, all without leaving a trace. I tried it when I first saw this video. I was successful on my first try. A thief could open your suitcase in just a few seconds, feel around for anything valuable, and reseal it without raising attention to himself.

I myself believe that the more robust the lock, the more attention the suitcase will receive, since it will appear that something valuable is inside that needs protecting. Don't be fooled by false security.

They don't just X-Ray the bags. There is a pretty good chance that a dog will be around to give'em a sniff. The dogs aren't there to find crappy beer.

They CAN open your bag without your permission or presence. We returned from a trip and were missing a mobile made of little shells. We did realize it was a no-no. There was no note in the suitcase, the thingy was just not there. We do not know whether the ship, customs or a thief took it but we don't have the thing.

Get TSA Padlocks - Everyone has a key!

We put small locks on bags just so the zippers do not accidentally open during travel, also to slow down a possible thief so he/she will move on to an easier bag

I take the locks off at the port so my luggage will be checked out and up to our suite ASAP

Also, on NCL, they don't allow cruisers to come to the "naughty room" until late in the evening. Again, I do not want to wait for my cruise clothes!

We put our Cheap Laptop (sorry no cheap beer) into a checked bag at the port once - actually had a note that the bag was inspected

• 2 weeks later...

We got called to the naughty room and wasted an hour of our cruise waiting around in line. We didn't have any contraband, so they basically interrogated and berated us for nothing. No "sorry for taking up your time." Wouldn't even tell us what they saw that evoked suspicion. Sigh. Guilty until proven innocent.

Archived