Fascination Man Overboard 8-27-12? (MERGED THREADS)

ThinkingWoman

I'll put my two cents worth in because I work with this and I have personal experience in it too.

No compassion for someone that is in such mental anguish they can think of nothing else they can do to get relief from the pain except to destroy themselves? Just wow!!

Most suicides have nothing to do with anyone except for the person doing it, it's not to get back at someone or hurt another, it's because they can't take the pain.

My nephew had PTSD from the military, killing someone was something that ran through his brain all the time, he couldnt' sleep or function, so he drank, which created more depression and more dependence on substances, so add addiction to PTSD and severe depression.

He was inpatient after a serious attempt to hang himself, he was detoxed, and had therapy, medications. But then out in the real world things fell apart for him and he hung himself, quietly in the middle of the night at a lake. He didn't want to hurt anyone else, but just couldnt' take the pain anymore.

I work with people that are suicidal almost every time I go to work and they are not selfish or bad, they are people in mental anguish.

For those that we can help to get better it's a huge accomplishment.

For those that cannot find pity and a prayer in your heart for someone that commits suicide, I'm sorry for you.

God does tend to show us not to let our pride make us too big for loving one another. Or Karma is another way of putting it if you don't believe in God.

Prayers to the man I hope he doesn't hurt anymore

Carole

\

Very well stated, compassionate post.

Callous, unfeeling person here (I suppose).

I cannot comprehend why this is of any interest whatsoever to anyone not directly involved with the person or his immediate family.

It's just morbid curiosity and it turns my stomach.

Why does anyone here need to know what happened? It's no one's business!

I'm sure everyone also slows down to get a good look at wrecks on their way home, too. :rolleyes:

I would rather people know the truth, rather than jump to assumptions. You don't agree?

By the way, you're not calling me callous and unfeeling, are you? :confused:

I get the feeling it does appear there is more to this story...who knows fight broke out he got pushed over...maybe he was so hurt about something it may not be suicide....guess we wait to find out so sad.....

You are actually on the right track.

And not to get too morbid' date=' but unless you die on impact, you wouldn't die instantaneously. That's a good long time to think about what you did and what's about to happen, before it happens.

Sad story for this person and his family.[/quote']

Just my luck, I'd be treading water for hours waiting for a shark to have me for lunch. :eek:

And I'm not joking.

As a licensed counselor I will tell you that when people decide to commit suicide they are not going through any mental anguish at the time. Individuals who suffer from a mental illness decide to committ suicide once they come out of their depression. They do this because they do not want to ever be in previous situation where they were depressed, feeling hopeless or experiencing some other symptoms of mental illness. When a person is showing signs and symptoms of mental illness they are not most times not able to make choices or put a plan together, they are mostly fixated on the moment. Once they get out of that state is when they have the energy and mental capacity to make decisions on taking their own life. Now that is not to say that a small percentage of individuals don't committ suicide during an episode of symptoms, but it is rare.

As a licensed counselor I will tell you that when people decide to commit suicide they are not going through any mental anguish at the time. Individuals who suffer from a mental illness decide to committ suicide once they come out of their depression. They do this because they do not want to ever be in previous situation where they were depressed, feeling hopeless or experiencing some other symptoms of mental illness. When a person is showing signs and symptoms of mental illness they are not most times not able to make choices or put a plan together, they are mostly fixated on the moment. Once they get out of that state is when they have the energy and mental capacity to make decisions on taking their own life. Now that is not to say that a small percentage of individuals don't committ suicide during an episode of symptoms, but it is rare.

That makes a lot of sense in light of the only person I've really known who killed herself. She suffered from mental disorders and was going through an extremely bad depression where everyone was concerned about her. Then she had a terrific week, was laughing, having a great time with family, and seemed very normal and then took her own life. It was so totally shocking because everyone thought she was better and would pull through =(

Go back to class. You'll do ALL the victims a service. BTW, it's not a GSW, it's a person WITH a GSW.

Suicide is not always well planned but can be a very impulsive act, one if not successful, the person is glad didn't work when they get the help they need.

Too many of us on this board have been personally affected by this horrible act that bores a hole in your heart that no amount of anything can close.

At least Im man enough to admit I have limitations and I dont know everything.

Ive been affected by it as well and everyone has their own way of coping with death and dying.

BTW once any of those injuries happen..... I hope they become a patient not just a person.;)

When we were on the Disney Wonder in 2009, a passenger jumped off of a CCL ship-cannot remember which one, but our ship pulled him to safety. He was drunk and had been in a fight with his GF, told her he would jump she said go ahead and he did.

Pray they find this passenger just as we did and he is ok. The guy who we rescued was worn out when they rescued him and he was only in the ocean for an hour or so.

The big question is whether this individual had issues going on, got heavily intoxicated and became impulsive. Let's not forget that a large number of people suffering from a mental disorder also have a co-occuring disorder such as substance abuse or dependence.

my best friend thought the world would be better without him this past dec 23rd, for 4 months before this, those of us that loved him did everything humanly possible to help him... If it could be legally done we did it, forced hospital stays, family, interventions, police even to the extent of calling his doctors....

I have come to realize the choice he made was his and his alone.. I also come to realize why he did it, or how he did it, or what any letters had to say that he left behind, is no ones business.

When you are as mentally sick as he was nothing in the world makes sense

The pain that was caused to his family members or his friends, at times is unbearable,

I feel for this man family and I know what they are going to go through. People are going to ask for details or make comments that should of never been made. there will be a lot of Assuming and Presumming and rumours.. it is no one business. All of these can only hurt the family more than what they are already going through, if they leave children behind it only gets worse, adults seem to talk infront of thier children thinking thier children don't understand, they may not understand it all but they also misinterupt what you are saying and repeat what they think know to those children left behind. Support the family with compassion..

Best advice i took though this whole thing was to go to a support group because I was so dam angry and yes I am still angry

I look into his childs eyes everyday and know I will make every effort to stay in this childs life as her father was a really good man, and when the time comes i will answer her questions, she was only 6 months old when this happend, dad was 50.

be kind to the family, and just a reminder what you even write here on CC, the family could read it someday.. Google the name of the ship and suicide.

Im sorry for your loss. I say this with the utmost respect..... You are a better person than me. Ive never understood Psych.

Give me a GSW or tibfib fx or a ruptured AAA or even a mass casualty situation, I know exactly what to do. When it comes to mental issues I have no clue.:o

And I totally understand the jokes, with stressful situations you need to joke, we do it at work too. Just hate to hear anyone say they don't have pity for another. Most suicides are not out of selfishness, but out of complete hopelessness.

Thanks for responding to the emergencies, you guys are the on the front lines of the healthcare system and are very much appreciated!!!

Carole

. Most suicides are not out of selfishness, but out of complete hopelessness.

Carole

As usual I agree with you 100%. Hopelessness, mental or emotional imbalances, PTSD...there could be a dozen reasons and all of it amounts to someone who is for wahtever reason, not in a healthy frame of mind. To me instances such as this are just a reminder to be thankful for physical AND mental/emotional health as well.

Callous, unfeeling person here (I suppose).

I cannot comprehend why this is of any interest whatsoever to anyone not directly involved with the person or his immediate family.

It's just morbid curiosity and it turns my stomach.

Why does anyone here need to know what happened? It's no one's business!

I'm sure everyone also slows down to get a good look at wrecks on their way home, too. :rolleyes:

Nope you are not callous or unfeeling~you just lack the curiosity that some people have~it makes neither one of us right just human in our own way!

The family has been notified. As I said earlier, it's still under investigation, so I'll avoid reporting some of the alleged (and crazy!) details leading up to it, but it appears he grabbed a life ring and jumped while running away from security.

As a result, Fascination has been forced to skip it's planned port in Key West due to the search efforts.

Cliff hanger! DO tell!!

The family has been notified. As I said earlier, it's still under investigation, so I'll avoid reporting some of the alleged (and crazy!) details leading up to it, but it appears he grabbed a life ring and jumped while running away from security.

As a result, Fascination has been forced to skip it's planned port in Key West due to the search efforts.

Man...you're really building this up! Don't forget about us once you're able to spill the beans. :)

Archived