Fascination Man Overboard 8-27-12? (MERGED THREADS)

ThinkingWoman

People who are severely depressed, are so ill at that time, that they cant see or feel anything beyond the despair and hopelessness they feel at the moment. I know that it often appears to others to be a selfish decision, but if you havent been there, you just cant know how helpless and hopeless these people feel. I have known someone who committed suicide, and my first reaction was shock of course, but anger came next, and it was not until I learned more about the illness that I could begin to understand. The priest described his illness as an untreatable emotional cancer.

Would that be before or after they stopped grieving? At what time would they start making jokes about it?

How do you know he was stupid? He could just be mentally unbalanced, but I guess you are one of those CC posters that can read between the lines and knows all the answers.

....please refer to post # 54. ;)

Im not excusing the jokes but the bottom line is, if the guy had lived (do we even know for FACT he is dead yet?) he would have been called an idiot by 99% of the people here if what Im hearing is true.

There was a report not long ago of someone bailing off a RCI ship while it was docked in Cozumel and was captured by Mexican authorities and most everyone here slammed him, called him names and said he got what he deserved. Why? Only because he lived through it?

If the guy was trying to commit suicide and succeeded, then yes, its a tragedy. If he was running from ship security, grabbed a life ring and bailed off the ship, not so much and he certainly isnt the sharpest knife in the drawer. Im gonna wait for all the facts though before commenting any further.

I feel bad for his family though.

Sorry if anyone is offended, but this is (by some reports) not a case of a depressed man taking his life. This is a case of someone being stupid and trying to evade security. People committing suicide do not grab life-rings before jumping overboard.

I avoided commenting on this thread while it was thought to be a suicide, which is a horrible thing. But I cannot, nor will I, ever excuse people for their gross acts of stupidity. :rolleyes:

Agree!

No one is debating whether it was a stupid thing or not. I certainly hope none of you making poor taste jokes EVER lose someone close to you who does something stupid. I fortunately have not. But it doesn't mean I can't have compassion for at least the family of this man. And I am CERTAIN the security person who saw it happen is most likely traumatized and not making jokes. Nor would the captain, crew or passengers. I'm all for humor - clever, smart aleck, bawdy, sophomoric, all kinds. But to make stupid jokes on the DAY someone has died while people are being impacted by it is abhorrent. There are some posters on this site who seem to ONLY make snarky comments and never actually CONTRIBUTE.

few people remember those who's job it is to literally clean up these sort of scenes and then get to notify the family. yes, it's their job but after several years it takes it toll.:(

I just saw this reported on our local TV news CBS channel 47 out of Jacksonville, it was a DUH moment for me..... this happened practically right off our shore. Since security was apparently present and a chase in progress I'm guessing this passenger didn't want to be caught with contraband.............

My condolences to the family, what a shame that what had the promise of a great vacation turned so horribly wrong.

No one is debating whether it was a stupid thing or not. I certainly hope none of you making poor taste jokes EVER lose someone close to you who does something stupid. I fortunately have not. But it doesn't mean I can't have compassion for at least the family of this man. And I am CERTAIN the security person who saw it happen is most likely traumatized and not making jokes. Nor would the captain, crew or passengers. I'm all for humor - clever, smart aleck, bawdy, sophomoric, all kinds. But to make stupid jokes on the DAY someone has died while people are being impacted by it is abhorrent. There are some posters on this site who seem to ONLY make snarky comments and never actually CONTRIBUTE.

You are so right! The family and crew deserve more than snarky jokes.

Sherri:)

Some bad news folks......"Nobody gets out of here alive".....no matter that all you may ignore we all will someday meet the same fate.......but hopefully not as inane as jumping off a ship with a life ring around your waist:D......oh....er......:(:(

(I hope that helps)................................................te he, sincker sincker......:D

Wow.

Sorry if anyone is offended, but this is (by some reports) not a case of a depressed man taking his life. This is a case of someone being stupid and trying to evade security. People committing suicide do not grab life-rings before jumping overboard.

I avoided commenting on this thread while it was thought to be a suicide, which is a horrible thing. But I cannot, nor will I, ever excuse people for their gross acts of stupidity. :rolleyes:

I "did not" say it "was" a depressed man taking his life. I said that is what first came to my mind, just as some people though it was someone who had too much to drink. That was before I read Aquahound's account of what really happened. The key word in my first post was "thought."

If it was just a jerk trying to avoid security, and he is found, I would hope he was forced to pay for the search & rescue costs.

I dont think he will be found

Latest update about an hour ago

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/carnival-fascination-passenger-jumps-cruise-ship/nRLjR/

Archived