Fascination Man Overboard 8-27-12? (MERGED THREADS)

ThinkingWoman

Doesnt make sense. The ship just left port last night. What could have been so bad to make him do that

I know Carnival has made cutbacks but its not worth jumping overboard

What doesn't make sense to me is why ANYONE would want to kill themselves by jumping off of the ship. If you survive hitting the water, you'll literally die while regretting that decision until you finally drown because you can't tread water anymore. There are much easier ways to off yourself if you really want to do it.

What an incredibly ignorant statement to make! I'm sure you thought you were being clever, but to make a joke of someone's suicide just makes you look ridiculous.

My thoughts go out to the man's family, who are no doubt devestated.

Nothing wrong with a little gallows humor.

When a person is at the point of committing suicide, they are no longer thinking logically. Whether it be a mental illness, an incident that they simply couldn't handle or anything else... a healthy, logically thinking person does not commit suicide... So no amount of trying will help you to understand "why"... there's no logic in that state of mind.

I understand people's anger at the selfishness of suicide and the pain it inflicts on their loved ones... but please try to understand that a person who jumps off a ship to their death is in an incomprehensible amount of pain as well. And insulting them or making inconsiderate comments about the person who committed suicide only adds to the pain of his/her family... It certainly does not help them.

Renee'

I'll put my two cents worth in because I work with this and I have personal experience in it too.

No compassion for someone that is in such mental anguish they can think of nothing else they can do to get relief from the pain except to destroy themselves? Just wow!!

Most suicides have nothing to do with anyone except for the person doing it, it's not to get back at someone or hurt another, it's because they can't take the pain.

My nephew had PTSD from the military, killing someone was something that ran through his brain all the time, he couldnt' sleep or function, so he drank, which created more depression and more dependence on substances, so add addiction to PTSD and severe depression.

He was inpatient after a serious attempt to hang himself, he was detoxed, and had therapy, medications. But then out in the real world things fell apart for him and he hung himself, quietly in the middle of the night at a lake. He didn't want to hurt anyone else, but just couldnt' take the pain anymore.

I work with people that are suicidal almost every time I go to work and they are not selfish or bad, they are people in mental anguish.

For those that we can help to get better it's a huge accomplishment.

For those that cannot find pity and a prayer in your heart for someone that commits suicide, I'm sorry for you.

God does tend to show us not to let our pride make us too big for loving one another. Or Karma is another way of putting it if you don't believe in God.

Prayers to the man I hope he doesn't hurt anymore

Carole

\

My prayers go out for the family, crew and other passengers. This is a terible thing to happen to anyone on that ship, obviously especially for the man's family.

This seems to happen so often on Carnival Ships and I actually feel bad for Carnival. I have sailed Carnival and had a lovely cruise both times, the jokes are not funny....... but it is an unfortunate coincidence that this happens over and over on Carnival ships.

I am on cruise critic every single day and every time I click on a man overboard story it is a Carnival ship......I know it has happend on others, but it primarily has been happening on Carnival over the past 3 years ...........just a terrible wast of a young life.....

I wonder if those people who jump off a ship suddenly decide to do that or if they board the ship already thinking about it. Sad, scary thoughts go through my head when I hear these things. :(

And not to get too morbid, but unless you die on impact, you wouldn't die instantaneously. That's a good long time to think about what you did and what's about to happen, before it happens.

Sad story for this person and his family.

I'll put my two cents worth in because I work with this and I have personal experience in it too.

No compassion for someone that is in such mental anguish they can think of nothing else they can do to get relief from the pain except to destroy themselves? Just wow!!

Most suicides have nothing to do with anyone except for the person doing it, it's not to get back at someone or hurt another, it's because they can't take the pain.

My nephew had PTSD from the military, killing someone was something that ran through his brain all the time, he couldnt' sleep or function, so he drank, which created more depression and more dependence on substances, so add addiction to PTSD and severe depression.

He was inpatient after a serious attempt to hang himself, he was detoxed, and had therapy, medications. But then out in the real world things fell apart for him and he hung himself, quietly in the middle of the night at a lake. He didn't want to hurt anyone else, but just couldnt' take the pain anymore.

I work with people that are suicidal almost every time I go to work and they are not selfish or bad, they are people in mental anguish.

For those that cannot find pity and a prayer in your heart for someone that commits suicide, I'm sorry for you.

God does tend to show us not to let our pride make us too big for loving one another. Or Karma is another way of putting it if you don't believe in God.

Carole

\

Thanks, Carole.

I hope that some of the mean spirited comments are uttered out of nervousness with the situation and not out of a diminished heart.

I know there is a lot of assumption going around right now, but this story has a lot more to it that will come out in the coming days. This does not appear to be pre-planned. There was an alarming chain of events that ocurred aboard. I can't share much right now becuase it is under investigation, but I will be happy to share details a little later.

What an incredibly ignorant statement to make! I'm sure you thought you were being clever, but to make a joke of someone's suicide just makes you look ridiculous.

My thoughts go out to the man's family, who are no doubt devestated.

I agree!!

I know there is a lot of assumption going around right now, but this story has a lot more to it that will come out in the coming days. This does not appear to be pre-planned. There was an alarming chain of events that ocurred aboard. I can't share much right now becuase it is under investigation, but I will be happy to share details a little later.

Please let us know as soon as you are able. Thanks.

Carole

\

Im sorry for your loss. I say this with the utmost respect..... You are a better person than me. Ive never understood Psych.

Give me a GSW or tibfib fx or a ruptured AAA or even a mass casualty situation, I know exactly what to do. When it comes to mental issues I have no clue.:o

We had a 'jumper' on our last CCL cruise. He jumped from the Serenity deck, as we were at the exact midway point between CA and Hawaii.

Passengers were wonderful...concerned, empathetic and I was happy to be a member of the human race in those moments.

The jokes and comments DID fly around, however they all started AFTER the guy was pulled back aboard alive. Most of that was just a release for people. You can imagine how horrific it is to be in the middle of the ocean and know that someone is out there.

Im sorry for your loss. I say this with the utmost respect..... You are a better person than me. Ive never understood Psych.

Give me a GSW or tibfib fx or a ruptured AAA or even a mass casualty situation, I know exactly what to do. When it comes to mental issues I have no clue.:o

Er Doc or surgeon no doubt. Lots of skills, not much in the bedside manner dpt. Be nice to your nurses,they help your patients more that you know:)

Your remark was just typical medical "black humor", so no need to beat yourself up over it.

We don't know why it happened. All we can do is express sympathy for for the young man & his family.

Callous, unfeeling person here (I suppose).

I cannot comprehend why this is of any interest whatsoever to anyone not directly involved with the person or his immediate family.

It's just morbid curiosity and it turns my stomach.

Why does anyone here need to know what happened? It's no one's business!

I'm sure everyone also slows down to get a good look at wrecks on their way home, too. :rolleyes:

Go back to class. You'll do ALL the victims a service. BTW, it's not a GSW, it's a person WITH a GSW.

Suicide is not always well planned but can be a very impulsive act, one if not successful, the person is glad didn't work when they get the help they need.

Too many of us on this board have been personally affected by this horrible act that bores a hole in your heart that no amount of anything can close.

Archived