Using I Pads on Princess

wilkij

:confused:Anyone know whether I can use my I Pad on the cruise liners. Seem to see lots using them in the atrium? Did they just pick up ships wi fi? or do they have to pay for it ? Need help on this as I 'm surs lots use internet .

Am going on the Emerald January to Caribbean and want to take I Pad to keep in touch.

Thanks Jan and Steve:confused:

:confused:Anyone know whether I can use my I Pad on the cruise liners. Seem to see lots using them in the atrium? Did they just pick up ships wi fi? or do they have to pay for it ? Need help on this as I 'm surs lots use internet .

Am going on the Emerald January to Caribbean and want to take I Pad to keep in touch.

Thanks Jan and Steve:confused:

iPad, iTouch, smart phones, computers or any device that connects to the rest of the world electronically does so with a cost. Think of the ship as an internet service provider and you pay, per minute, to connect.

Most people use their device with the Wifi feature shut off except for those times when they want to actually connect to the web. Many connect, download email, disconnect, answer email offline and then connect again to send their email response. "Surfing the web" for any length of time can get rather expensive.

Enjoy!

Thanks, I know how to sign off in the computer room while we're cruising, but I forgot that the iPad is always looking for a signal. That "ping" for a new email means it's active even when it appears to be off. I've only had mine for a month or so, and now I have to figure out how to turn the wifi off completely. DH will have to do the same with his Nook.

If you do a search here, I think you will find a number of threads giving the "ins and outs" of using Ipads on Princess

That answer would apply to just about any question asked on Cruise Critic. I find Google a fast and efficient method. I googled the OP's topic and quickly got past CC threads on the subject. Make sure you type iPad and not I Pads or you may get some unexpected results.

Thanks, I know how to sign off in the computer room while we're cruising, but I forgot that the iPad is always looking for a signal. That "ping" for a new email means it's active even when it appears to be off. I've only had mine for a month or so, and now I have to figure out how to turn the wifi off completely. DH will have to do the same with his Nook.

If you put your iPad in airplane mode (set the slider to on) it will turn off the active WiFi, you do so by selecting you settings icon and it should be the first item listed... You can also turn you WiFi on and off using the WiFi setting in the settings. Just as a further note you can set your iPad to ask you before you log onto another network (This may not be an issue as much on the ship but in public situation you want to know who's WiFi you are using for information security)...

So the simple answer is yes you can use your iPad on ship, I do it all the time and I use the airplane mode to make sure I am only on WiFi wen I want to be.

If you put your iPad in airplane mode (set the slider to on) it will turn off the active WiFi, you do so by selecting you settings icon and it should be the first item listed... You can also turn you WiFi on and off using the WiFi setting in the settings. Just as a further note you can set your iPad to ask you before you log onto another network (This may not be an issue as much on the ship but in public situation you want to know who's WiFi you are using for information security)...

So the simple answer is yes you can use your iPad on ship, I do it all the time and I use the airplane mode to make sure I am only on WiFi wen I want to be.

I agree with this. Put the iPad in Airplane mode before leaving the US. Otherwise, you could be charged for data downloads from push notifications that you're not even aware of. In your settings, turn off push notifications. These are the automatic updates that some apps use. For instance, weather.

Once on the ship, when you want to use the ship's WiFi, turn on just the WiFi. The iPad will search for the WiFi which will have the ship's name. Select it and go to the Internet icon. The log-in page for the Internet package you've bought will pop up. There's no free WiFi on the ship so you'll need to purchase a package. The first time you log in, you'll be able to select the package you want.

I have a first gen I-Pad. On both the Golden and Ruby, I was troubled by the way it seemed to constantly drop the wi-fi signal Probably won't be taking it on our upcoming cruises as I have recently purchased a Dell ultrabook that seems to work great.....

Bob

I agree with this. Put the iPad in Airplane mode before leaving the US. Otherwise, you could be charged for data downloads from push notifications that you're not even aware of. In your settings, turn off push notifications. These are the automatic updates that some apps use. For instance, weather.

Once on the ship, when you want to use the ship's WiFi, turn on just the WiFi. The iPad will search for the WiFi which will have the ship's name. Select it and go to the Internet icon. The log-in page for the Internet package you've bought will pop up. There's no free WiFi on the ship so you'll need to purchase a package. The first time you log in, you'll be able to select the package you want.

Thank you so much this was really helpful:) jan and steve

I have a first gen I-Pad. On both the Golden and Ruby, I was troubled by the way it seemed to constantly drop the wi-fi signal Probably won't be taking it on our upcoming cruises as I have recently purchased a Dell ultrabook that seems to work great.....
Bob, me, too. I now use just my iPhone and if I really need a bigger screen, use the Internet Cafe. I use my iPhone for 90% of my Internet (including CC) now and plan to get the new iPhone 5 next month. I'm just hoping it's out in time before I leave. Then, I plan to get the new iPad mini in October or November, when it's finally released.

Bob, me, too. I now use just my iPhone and if I really need a bigger screen, use the Internet Cafe. I use my iPhone for 90% of my Internet (including CC) now and plan to get the new iPhone 5 next month. I'm just hoping it's out in time before I leave. Then, I plan to get the new iPad mini in October or November, when it's finally released.

Gazelle has a pretty good deal if you want to sell your old iPhone or iPad. I locked in $285 until October 1 for my iPhone 4S. I understand Apple is announcing the new iPhone on September 12 with delivery on September 21. I go on a cruise on September 26. Hopefully, it will all workout. I got my iPad 3 in Honolulu last March when the Sapphire pulled in on the day it was released.

http://www.gazelle.com/

Gazelle has a pretty good deal if you want to sell your old iPhone or iPad. I locked in $285 until October 1 for my iPhone 4S. I understand Apple is announcing the new iPhone on September 12 with delivery on September 21. I go on a cruise on September 26. Hopefully, it will all workout. I got my iPad 3 in Honolulu last March when the Sapphire pulled in on the day it was released.

http://www.gazelle.com/

Thanks, I heard about that offer. I'm giving my old iPhone 4 to my sister who has a very basic free phone now. I'll check this out for my iPad.

Bob

I had this issue seldomly on the Emerald last winter, but every 2 minutes or so on the Island last week. I learned that I didn't have to actually log in again...just went to Settings and once again chose the Island Princess network, and I would be back on again. But it seems these things vary from ship to ship.

My laptop, OTOH, had no trouble staying on WiFi.

What you state applies to the iPhone but not the iPad. An iPad won't roam out of the US unless you buy and international roaming plan on it.

Pam;

Is the new I-Pad suppose to be a smaller one.....?

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

On a cruise I also find myself using the iPhone most of the time except for the New York Times app and reading books so I was also thinking of getting a mini iPad when it comes out to take with me when traveling and leaving the larger iPad at home. The mini should be good sized for book reading and the Times. The iPhone is a little small for long stretches of book reading.

But it is perfect for long stretches of book listening while on a beach!! And quite sufficient for getting caught up with Downton Abbey episodes (as I did on our recent cruise). It's a marvel, this thing is.

I am not much of a book listener. Tried it. I do use for music and podcasts. I prefer to read books. I even get paperbacks just for the beach.

What you state applies to the iPhone but not the iPad. An iPad won't roam out of the US unless you buy and international roaming plan on it.

This might true for one with a cell plan. The ones I've seen that have cell plans roam just like the cell phones. If the IPad doesn't have a cell plan or if it isn't configured for one, it will pick up WIFI anywhere.

Is the new I-Pad suppose to be a smaller one.....?
From what I've read, it's supposed to be about 7.7". Guess we'll know in a couple of months. If you go to Mashable or Engadget, they have lots of articles on the iPhone 5 (which will have a larger screen but be thinner than the current iPhone) and the rumors about the iPad mini.

Archived