Port review: Olso, Aarhus, Berlin Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm on Emer

Hi Guys,

I though I would post some information on the Baltic Cruise I have just done. All the information that I gained from other forums was really useful so I thought I would repay.

I have just given the information of what we did and how to get to each of the sites – I have also given you the link to the tourist information websites

I am a very much DIY sight seeing person so most of the ports we did ourselves apart from Berlin and Saint Petersburg. We did do a lot of research before hand so that we knew that we did not waist precious time in ports

We were on the Emerald Princess 19th August 2012 - 30th August 2012

OSLO

We contacted the tourist office and they sent a small booklet of all the different things to see in Oslo with their opening hours. http://www.visitoslo.com/en/

We were in Port 10-6:30 docked in front of Akershus Fortress

We bought an Olso Pass from the tourist information at the cruise ship terminal. This gave you entrances to the museums we wanted to see and free transport on the water taxis. We walked to the city hall which was about a 10 minute walk away We got the water taxi over to Bygdøy – located on Peir 3, ferry 91 (don’t worry there was a sign over the pier saying Bygdøy). As were had an Olso Pass we did not have to pay – I think it was 50 Norwegian krone on the boat (I think it was cheaper from the ticket machine but as I had the city pass I did not look out for this).

The ferry ride is a 5-10 mins, we got off at the first stop – there is a walk to the museum straight up the hill and takes about 10 mins. We spent about 30-40 mins in this museum. I would suggest that you do this first as when we left there were about 3-4 coaches arriving just as we were leaving and it was becoming packed. There is a shop I paid in Norwegian krone I don’t know if they took Euros.

The other 2 museums on the Island (The Kon-Tiki and Fram Museum – The Polar Ship Museum) are a short walk or bus ride away. You have 3 chocies to get to the museum walk back to the ferry for one stop, get the bus: No.30 > Bygdøynes or walk. We decided to walk as there was no bus in sight. The museums are opposite each other. Both were intresting. The Kon-Tiki has 2 of the ships that were used. The Fram museum has the polar ship which you can go on it also has a polar simulator. We had a drink at the café at the Fram museum – they had the price in Norwegian krone and Euros but you got a poor exchange rate.

We got the ferry back to the main area of Olso, by city hall. We walked to city hall just to have a quick look inside – it was free to get into.

We then decided to look around the Akershus Fortress. We went to the Resistance Museum and the castle. We then headed back to the cruise ship.

The cruise ship terminal information sells stamps and postcards and there was a postbox outside. We got on board around 4:30pm.

We did not see any of the shops advertised in Euros and everything was priced in Norwegian krone

AARHUS

Docked 12-6:30 in central piers.

We emailed the tourist office and they send thought a map and a booklet of what you can see in Aarhus.

http://www.visitaarhus.com/international/en-gb/menu/turist/aarhus.htm

We docked in one of the central piers in town. It was about a 10-15 minute walk into the main square. We went to the cathedral. Near the cathedral on the square, there was a small Viking museum.

We then headed to Den Gamble By – we walked to this – so did quite a lot of other people on the cruise (after the 1st day you get given a canvas bag so you can easily spot other cruisers). It took about 15-20 mins walk. We spent most of the day here and left about 3:30pm

We walked back into the city and went to the church of our lady – we just about made it as the church shut at 4pm. We then headed back to the cruise ship and was on borad at around 5pm.

I can’t remember where I got the stamp for a postcard from but all around the town there are post boxes.

I did not see any shops that took Euros and in Den Gamble By they only advatised the price in Danish Krone

BERLIN

We did a ships excursion as it was going to be hard for us to do it ourselves for Berlin. We did the concentration camp and the Berlin city drive. The train ride was 2hr 50 mins and we had a short drive to the camp. The concentration camp was very interesting and our guide was very good and describing each area. We spent around 1hr and ½ around the camp. We were driven back to the city for a traditional German lunch. Lunch was quite late (about 2:30pm).

We then had a quite city drive seeing the main sights where we had quick photo stops. We got back on the train for the 3 hour train ride back to the cruise ship.

We did not have any time for shopping due to the tight schedule.

TALLINN

Docked 8-5 in the old city harbour

We contacted the tourist office and were sent a map and a book about the different sights.

http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/eng

By the cruise ship terminal. They sold some souvenirs there also sold stamps, postcards and had a postbox.

We walked into the old city (about a 10 min walk). There was a shuttle bus offered for this. We went up to the castle first, there are some view points looking down onto the city. We did most of the churches and sights in the city. We managed to get onto the tour of the Bastion Tunnels. Normally you have to book but we managed to tag on the end of a group (the first one started at 11am).

We had lunch in the town square in under the city hall – we spotted the sign saying ‘worthy elk soup’ for 1 euro. We also got a roll (which was like a pasty with different flavours) and a drink for 4 euros – it was the cheapest we saw.

We also did the city museum which was very interesting. There were lots of tourist shops selling many souvenirs.

We walked back to the ship and we onboard around 4:00pm.

SAINT PETERSBURG

We did a 2 day ship excursion. We were one of the first groups of the cruise ship so it only took ½ hour. They put all the princess excursions in the theatre area and all the independent excursions in one of the dinning rooms. There was 2 gangways – one for the princess excursions and the one for the independent groups (they let the independents off on a first come first serve). Russian immigration only let 50 people off each gangway off at a time to be processed.

We first did the Peter and Paul fortress and then the canal cruise. On the Canal Cruise we were given Russian champagne. Next was The Hermitage to our surprise you were allowed to video and take photos without flash. It was packed in this museum. But then there were 6 curise ships in and at we were here at a weekend at we were told that many Russian school children go on trips at the weekend.

We had a Russian Lunch (if you are a vegetarian you will need to tell Princess upon booking as there was not a choice) we had Russian Vodka and Champaign and water.

Next was a tour of St Issacs and a trip to a souvenir shop – as it was the government run one they took Euros as well as Russian Rubles. There was also shops at the cruise ship terminal just before you go back though immigration. In these shops they take dollars, Euros and Rubles

Immigration was quick they stamp your passport to say that you are leaving – don’t worry about this if you are going in for a second day – they will just look at the stamps and check your excursion ticket. It did not take long – it was more the queuing to get to a booth

We did not take an evening excursion as we thought that we would be tired from the days sight seeing . The princess had put on a show where they got local a local group of Russian signers and dancers. The show lasted for about 40-45 minutes and was very enjoyable.

Day 2

Immigration did not take long again – they check you excursion ticket, that you have the stamps in your passport and of course the photo that looks nothing like you.

We drove to the Perterof Palace which was 1hr ½ drive out of the city. It was really busy here. They would not allow rucksacks or coats into the Palace and you had to check them into a cloakroom. Just be prepared to queue here. We were told about each of the different rooms that we went in – you are not allowed to video or take photos in here.

We had a tour of the gardens before watching the main fountains being turned on. This was packed and there was a very large crowd. We were warned to keep our bags in front of us. We found out from the people that we sit with at dinner that someone was picked pocketed. He had had his wallet stolen – but it was in his jeans back pocket.

We had a drive back to the city – a lot of people slept on the way back into the city. We had lunch this time we had a choice between Vodka and champagne. We also got some water.

Next was Yusupov Palace where Rasputin was murdered.

We then had a tour of the Church of the Spilled Blood.

Immigration was very quick all they checked was that you have had the exit stamp in your passport.

In the evening there was some senice cruise past an old Soviet Navel base – you go past it very close and you can see the old soviet boats/buildings. You also get to sail through the Saint Petersburg dam (it closes when there is bad weather forecasted).

HELSINKI

Docked 7-3:30 in Hernesaari (commercial port).

We sent off to the tourist office and got various leaflets and a map of the city. http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/

We resorted to getting the shuttle bus into the city centre. The public transport has changed and you need to get a bus and then a tram into the city.

We started with the tram 3B/3T ride around the city - its cost 2.70 Euros for a 1 hour ticket. This will last you for the whole trip as long as you don’t get off. You also get to see the outskirts of Helsinki.

We then had a boat rode around some of the islands around Helsinki – this lasted 1hr ½ and cost 20 Euros. We were on the 10:30 tour. The commentary is in Finnish, English, Swedish and Dutch. They then have some leaflets in other languages. These boats go from the market square. When we go back there was a craft market with various things – handmade and they typical tourist things (magnets, postcards, keyrings)

We then went to Senate Square and the church (there are lots of steps to walk up to go inside the church). We went to the city musum which was free to get into – it was not what we thought so we decided to go to the rock church. There were a few tourist shops here too

We walked to the station which is very impressive building before heading to the rock church, there were a few tourist shops by the church too. There were a few tour groups from our ship too.

I got a stamp from the ship and posted the postcard in one of the postboxes on the senate square. I asked in one of the shops where there was a postbox as I was unable to find one for a while.

Be warned Helskini is a very expensive city – they said that 5 euros wont get you much to eat.

We got the shuttle bus back to the port – there were a few shops selling some more touristy things.

STOCKHOLM

Docked 8:30-3 at Stadsgården 167.

We did not get any information from the tourst office as they wanted so stupid price for the postage (about £6). We printed most of the information out and used goggle maps http://www.visitstockholm.com/en/

This was the most chaos I have seen with people trying to get off the ship just as it docked. People were pushing and shoving as everyone wanted to get the first water taxi over to the Vasa Museum which opened at 8:30.

We decided that we would go to Galma Stan (the old town). We ended up walking as there was lots of quing and pushing to get tickets for the water taxis. The Stockholm port said that it was only a 20 min walk to the old town, however it was a 45 min walk. It is quite flat but it was still a long way.

We got into Galma Stan. There are lots of cobbled streets in this area. We went to the Stockholm Cathedral where the Kings and Queens of Sweden are crowned. Next we went to the Royal Palace the ticket you but get you in to see the crown jewels, royal apartments, the Tre Krono museum and Gustav III’s Museum of Antiquities. You were not allowed large rucksacks into the different buildings in the royal palace. In the shop they took Euros as well as Swedish.

We walked over to the island with the Riddarholmen chuch where all the kings and queens are buried. We got to see some of the tombs.

We then wondered around Galma Stan. There were lots of shops selling tourist items as well as some different things. We found a hand made chocolate shop – they took Euros but the exchange rate was not that good. I don’t know if other shops did.

We walked back to the cruise ship and went to get some food on the shop – these were the longest ques I have seen on the ship – I think due to the short length in port everyone had skipped lunch.

Just be warned this country is expensive.

COPENHAGEN

As we had an evening flight (16:30) we had a debark tour of Copenhagen. This was so that princess would not drop us at the airport at 9am in the morning. We opeted for the debark tour with photo stops. We stopped at the Little Mermaid, a statue of a princess and 4 bulls, the royal palace. At the Royal Palace we were lucky enough to see the changing of the guards – there is markings on the ground where they walk – however don’t stand too close as the guards do walk outside of them – I was shouted at in Danish and promptly shoved out of the way.

We then stopped at the merchants area (where most of the pictures of Copenhagen are taken of)

We were then driven to the airport – we still had 4 hours to waist – there is a shopping area but it is mainly duty free and clothes shops with a few restaurants. There are no fast food restaurants and few seats.

Hope this helps out those of you that are going on a Baltic Criuse and that I have not bored you to death.

Edited by emilywood85

TALLINN

Docked 8-5 in the old city harbour

We contacted the tourist office and were sent a map and a book about the different sights.

http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/eng

By the cruise ship terminal. They sold some souvenirs there also sold stamps, postcards and had a postbox.

We walked into the old city (about a 10 min walk). There was a shuttle bus offered for this. We went up to the castle first, there are some view points looking down onto the city. We did most of the churches and sights in the city. We managed to get onto the tour of the Bastion Tunnels. Normally you have to book but we managed to tag on the end of a group (the first one started at 11am).

We had lunch in the town square in under the city hall – we spotted the sign saying ‘worthy elk soup’ for 1 euro. We also got a roll (which was like a pasty with different flavours) and a drink for 4 euros – it was the cheapest we saw.

We also did the city museum which was very interesting. There were lots of tourist shops selling many souvenirs.

We walked back to the ship and we onboard around 4:00pm.

I'm assuming this is where you ate?

C35CD519-0035-45D3-8FCE-EA72E271CEE3-6252-0000051DA813122B.jpg

I saw the sign and I just couldn't help but take a photo!

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes that is the sign of where we ate in Tallinn.

The train ride to Berlin was ok - there were toilets on the train. The journey there was quite interesting but that was due to the fact we were sitting opposite an interesting couple and chatted most of the journey.

On our curise ship there was a buffet breakfast from 6am so we had food before we got on the train - I would suggest that if you have the option to do this do as you dont get your 'snack pack' for ages and its only a muffin.

as to the DIY - most of the ports were easy, it took alot of research a planning to work out what we were going to do/how to get there and approx time we would spend in the places we were going to visit.

The only suggestion I would make is if you dock in the same place in Stockholm as we did try to get a bus/boat as it is quite along walk into Galma Stann

Thanks for the review. Brought back lots of great memories. We also requested maps/info from the tourist offices and certainly helped in planning DIY excursions. Wish we had more time in Stockholm - the Emerald Princess left rather early. We chose to see Berlin for 3 days as part of a pre-cruise land trip. Glad we made this decision, as we wanted to see the sights at our own pace. Flight from Berlin to Copenhagen (on Air Berlin) took only one hour.

We were also on this cruise. A great resource is Rick Steves book Scandinavia. It lists lots of websites for getting more detailed info on transportation, museum , etc.

We used SPB Tours for 3 cities, St Pete, Berlin, and Tallinn. All were well done with St Pete being the best.

For Berlin, we took a bus from the port to Berlin, a 3 hr drive with a potty break halfway. We met the tour guide in Berlin and drove around the city for 6 hours with many stops. Lunch was at a cafe near the Holocaust Museum (not included in tour price).

In Tallinn, we had a 3 hour guided walking tour which was very informative and fun. Afterwards, I had the elk soup, pastrie and beer for 5 euros - cheap and good! Though many do a walking tour of Tallinn without a guide, I highly recommend it. You get so much more info about the city, life today, and history.

In St. Pete, we did SPB Tours' Deluxe Tour -details on their website. Everyone in our group raved about.

In Oslo, we did the Hop On Hop Off bus which worked well. We toured the Viking Ship Museum and the Fram Museum, the later being my favorite.

In Helsinki, you can walk to the tram station, maybe 10 minutes. Follow the blue line on the pavement. We bought day passes, 7 euros each. We transferred to the #3 Tram and toured the inner city that way. We downloaded an audiotour from Helsinki;s public transit website which was helpful though a little hard to keep in synch with the stops.

Edited by patrickmoran

• 3 weeks later...

Immigration did not take long again – they check you excursion ticket, that you have the stamps in your passport and of course the photo that looks nothing like you.

An immigration officer once told me that if someone looks like their passport photo, they're almost certainly too ill to travel :D

JB :)

• 1 year later...
reading this again make me want to return on this cruise

thanks for this review! very informative. I'm about to take the Royal Princess Baltic cruise in August 2014. So looking forward to touring all of these ports.

Just curious… what were the temperatures like in August?

Thanks!

When we go back there was a craft market with various things – handmade and they typical tourist things (magnets, postcards, keyrings)

Are there any places to buy men's polo shirts in the ports? Maybe with logos, flags or colours of the various countries?

• 3 months later...
t

Just curious… what were the temperatures like in August?

Thanks!

I wore jeans and t-shirt and a cardigan for most of the week (I also packed a pack-a-mac - just in case - this was helpful in Tallinn when an unexpected shower hit). Berlin was a lot warmer though I was in Jeans and wish I wore leggings or a skirt.

Are there any places to buy men's polo shirts in the ports? Maybe with logos, flags or colours of the various countries?

I know where we docked at Oslo there were some shops which sold some t-****s but I am not sure what they had on it. I think the Tallinn tourist shop near where we docked may have had some. Not sure on the others I am afraid