RCL - MCO>Port Canaveral cut-off times

airboss1998

My daughter and her fiancé are going on the Freedom September 23. Someone else 'gave' them tickets to Orlando and back, and the airline just changed their arrival time in Orlando (now 12:41pm, instead of 12:30). The travel agent says they're too late to use the RCL transfer. On their return to the airport, their flight leaves at 12:05 pm and again the agent says their flight is too early.

Unfortunately, the person that gave them the tickets has been no help in changing flights, so they're somewhat stuck with them. Any thoughts on whether I need to buy them new tickets (considering I'm paying for a wedding, don't really want to spend more on tickets), or just be a nice dad and pay for transportation. Based on my experience out of Orlando and Port Canaveral (unless the ship is late coming in), can't imagine these flights will be a big problem.

Thoughts? Or suggestions for transfers?

Thanks. I'm hoping I can calm one of their logistical fears, and make the honeymoon a great cruise!

that is cutting it too close...it's about 45 minutes to an hour to Port Canaveral...that makes it 1:45...add in getting luggage and waiting for the car service/shuttle...that tacks on another 45 minutes making it 2:30.....if the ship sails at 4 they have to be CHECKED IN AT THE TERMINAL at least 90 minutes ahead or risk being denied boarding...

either call and try and get the airline to change the flight (though it is not that big a change....the airline will likely make you pay to change it. if they change it, the difference has to be longer than ~15 minutes (closer to a couple hours) for them to NOT charge..) chances are they will say no changes..

i would suggest getting new tickets...ASAP

as for the flight BACK..too early for transfers and likely too early even with express walk off and a car service waiting... i would not book a flight back before 3.....

Posted in another thread about the trip back to the airport, but then saw this one too...

If the flight to Orlando was changed by the airline, I would call them and politely tell them the times do not work based on your continuing travel plans after the flight. United changed our connection in ORD to less than 30 minutes for our flight out, called the customer service line and they ended up changing to another flight for us.

At first United tried to charge us the change fee, but I reminded the agent that THE AIRLINE changed the flight times and our original flights were booked because the flight times worked. I was able to point out another flight that did work and they gladly changed it for us.

Again, good luck to you and the honeymooners!

Juan

#1--The Freedom of the Seas departs on September 23rd at 4:30 pm. They will need to be checked in and on board by 3pm--2 hours and 20 minutes from the time their plane arrives. When we took a cruise out of PC in May, it took us 1 hr 45 minutes from the time we touched down to the time we were on board the ship. In our case, we were able to quickly de-plane; we had no checked luggage; we waited less than 10 minutes for our shuttle; and the shuttle did not wait for any other passengers and did not make any stops along the way. If your daughter and her fiance are equally lucky (and don't have checked luggage), they can make the ship with this later arrival time. If there are ANY "glitches", then it doesn't look good.

#2--The ship is scheduled to arrive back at 6am. It has been awhile since I cruised on RCCL, but I understand their self-debarkation is quick. If they can be off the ship by 8am and can arrange direct transportation to MCO, they can be at the airport by 9:30 am. That should give them plenty of time to catch their 12:05 pm flight. But, again, it all depends on RCCL's self-debarkation plan, no checked luggage, and a good transportation option. (We debarked at 8:30 am and were at MCO at 10:00 am). I think this could work out OK.

#3--But, of course, the larger question is, "If you are paying for the wedding, why would you pay for new airline tickets?" Isn't that the responsibility of the groom or the couple?

If someone would have asked I would have said you should never fly in the day of the cruise. A flight delay or cancellation can mean missing the ship. 12:45 arrival is way too late. To much risk. You must be checked in 90 minutes prior to the cruise. They must change their flights.

The departure time is also too early.

Keith

If someone would have asked I would have said you should never fly in the day of the cruise. A flight delay or cancellation can mean missing the ship. 12:45 arrival is way too late. To much risk. You must be checked in 90 minutes prior to the cruise. They must change their flights.

The departure time is also too early.

Keith

Thanks, Keith, that's good advice. However, I didn't ask what they should have done, I'm trying to solve the problem they already have.

#1--The Freedom of the Seas departs on September 23rd at 4:30 pm. They will need to be checked in and on board by 3pm--2 hours and 20 minutes from the time their plane arrives. When we took a cruise out of PC in May, it took us 1 hr 45 minutes from the time we touched down to the time we were on board the ship. In our case, we were able to quickly de-plane; we had no checked luggage; we waited less than 10 minutes for our shuttle; and the shuttle did not wait for any other passengers and did not make any stops along the way. If your daughter and her fiance are equally lucky (and don't have checked luggage), they can make the ship with this later arrival time. If there are ANY "glitches", then it doesn't look good.

#2--The ship is scheduled to arrive back at 6am. It has been awhile since I cruised on RCCL, but I understand their self-debarkation is quick. If they can be off the ship by 8am and can arrange direct transportation to MCO, they can be at the airport by 9:30 am. That should give them plenty of time to catch their 12:05 pm flight. But, again, it all depends on RCCL's self-debarkation plan, no checked luggage, and a good transportation option. (We debarked at 8:30 am and were at MCO at 10:00 am). I think this could work out OK.

#3--But, of course, the larger question is, "If you are paying for the wedding, why would you pay for new airline tickets?" Isn't that the responsibility of the groom or the couple?

Thanks. We're going to call United and complain, since they changed, albeit slightly, the booked flight. I've done this cruise before and I don't think the return will be a problem. As for #3, that's a good question. They're poor newlyweds, ugh.

Posted in another thread about the trip back to the airport, but then saw this one too...

If the flight to Orlando was changed by the airline, I would call them and politely tell them the times do not work based on your continuing travel plans after the flight. United changed our connection in ORD to less than 30 minutes for our flight out, called the customer service line and they ended up changing to another flight for us.

At first United tried to charge us the change fee, but I reminded the agent that THE AIRLINE changed the flight times and our original flights were booked because the flight times worked. I was able to point out another flight that did work and they gladly changed it for us.

Juan

Thanks, Juan, VERY helpful. We'll give that a try.

Juan

Thanks to you, juan, did this successfully - got their arrival moved up two hours! We'll all breath a little easier!

Thanks to you, juan, did this successfully - got their arrival moved up two hours! We'll all breath a little easier!

Glad it all worked... Hopefully we will see the newlyweds onboard. Have them signup for the Meet and Mingle. As I'm sure you saw, there is a huge group of 130+ us. Some (us included) are new to the group but it's always nice to have some 'friends' on board.

Juan

Archived