The Oceania ships...

Rotterdam

I've been looking at the ships of Oceania...and look forward to booking a cruise shortly. My question pertains to the "R" Class ships(the older, smaller ships). a couple of years ago my partner & I did a 16 day Panama Canal cruise on Azamara - a sister ship to Oceania's older ships. The size of the ship was refreshing but the decor(I think they described it as "English Countryside". I found it a bit over the top(especially in 90+ degree heat) and something left over from the 1980's ala Crystal Carrington.

I see the Oceania pictures of these ships still show the same decor as Azamara - is Oceania planning to update / redecorate these ships in the near future? The 2 new ships are absolutely beautiful.

I'll choose the cruise based on itinerary but I would prefer not to be cruising on "Brideshead Revisited at sea".

Thank you for your input!

I do not understand what the decor has to do with the heat :confused:

They do have A/C inside the ship

Oceania has upgraded some of the decor in the cabins

Maybe try one of the O class ships, has the same small feeling with better decor ;)

Lyn

A lot of us like the understated decor of the R ships. More like visiting a wealthy uncle's country home than Disneyland. Luckily there are ships and cruise lines with different decor to suite all tastes.

You may want to evaluate your plans as along with the decor the ships have different amenities/activities that other lines. Most people on Oceania are happy to sit around and visit, read a book and enjoy a laid back atmosphere that goes along with the decor.

They cruise for the food, ports and similar fellow travelers.

If you are looking for a more active lifestyle other lines may suit better.

The O ships are a bit more "decorated" but still subdued compared to other lines.

Everyone has an opinion and it is their right. We love the 'R' ships as they are. To us, some of the new larger ships seem artificial with all the glitzy decor. However, we can have a great time on any cruiseship, no matter what the decor.

I am sure you will find your niche.

May there be many happy cruises in your future.:)

If you did not care for the Azamara ships' decor, you probably will not care for O's R ship decor as it is slightly more traditional. Azamara used lighter colors and more contemporary touches during the Quest/Journey refits.

When I worked for Oceania, there were no plans to substantially change the decor as a lot of money had already been invested in the furnishings and artwork.

IMO, the decor and ambiance, with all the dark woods and Empire/Edwardian detailing is what makes these ships little gems. They are still my favorites to this day.

Marina and Riviera are decidedly more progressive and it sounds like you would enjoy them and look away from the two small ships.

Tim

If you are looking for the small ship intimacy you enjoyed on Azamara I do not think you will find it on O's newer larger ships. My opinion!! Stick to the R ships. I cannot say I could even describe the decor on the R ships but it is understated

If you did not care for the Azamara ships' decor, you probably will not care for O's R ship decor as it is slightly more traditional. Azamara used lighter colors and more contemporary touches during the Quest/Journey refits.

When I worked for Oceania, there were no plans to substantially change the decor as a lot of money had already been invested in the furnishings and artwork.

IMO, the decor and ambiance, with all the dark woods and Empire/Edwardian detailing is what makes these ships little gems. They are still my favorites to this day.

Marina and Riviera are decidedly more progressive and it sounds like you would enjoy them and look away from the two small ships.

Tim

Off subject but didn't I see you quoted in Time magazine a week or two ago?

Long time no see, Timothy!

Lord Willing and the Crick DOES rise, we're hoping to sail with you soon.

Say hi to Mr. & Mrs Hondorner for us ;)

Maybe we should have an O reunion on the Riviera. Don and Betsy were using their best persuasive powers on me and it wouldn't take much arm-twisting for me to sail on her. Especially now that it would be an actual vacation and it's my boss' favorite cruise line!:D

Tim

Maybe we should have an O reunion on the Riviera. Don and Betsy were using their best persuasive powers on me and it wouldn't take much arm-twisting for me to sail on her. Especially now that it would be an actual vacation and it's my boss' favorite cruise line!:D

Tim

Stu and I are planning a reunion for fall 2013 so wait until we pick an itinerary..

Jancruz1

The size of the ship was refreshing but the decor(I think they described it as "English Countryside". I found it a bit over the top(especially in 90+ degree heat) and something left over from the 1980's ala Crystal Carrington.

Incongruous

A bit like Log Cabins in Miami ;) (WDW excluded )

I found it a bit over the top(especially in 90+ degree heat) and something left over from the 1980's ala Crystal Carrington.

Who remembers the catfight between Crystal and Alexis [Morell Carrington Colby Dexter -- yes, I was a fan] that ended with them falling into the swimming pool?

A replay of that scene beside an R-ship pool -- there's an idea. Maybe Leslie Jon or whoever could even find a way to incorporate it into the daily trivia game. :eek:

I'll choose the cruise based on itinerary but I would prefer not to be cruising on "Brideshead Revisited at sea".

Not unless you want to hear a stuttering Anthony Blanche call the captain "a naughty boy". :rolleyes:

Cudos for your sense of humor...

I take it the R ships have not been refurbished as far as decor is concerned...the new ships remind me of the OCEANIC & The Italian Line ships of the 1960's......chic / simple elegance.

After studying design / architecture along w/ my interest in classic oceanliners - when I travel I do look at the makeup of a hote / ship...smart design can be sophiticated, beautiful, functional & comfortable without looking like a theme park...I like the Ritz Carlton designed hotels over Four Seasons....the new Oceania ships are more appealing than the new Seabourn ships....to each their own!

Not unless you want to hear a stuttering Anthony Blanche call the captain "a naughty boy". :rolleyes:

Cudos for your sense of humor...

I take it the R ships have not been refurbished as far as decor is concerned...the new ships remind me of the OCEANIC & The Italian Line ships of the 1960's......chic / simple elegance.

After studying design / architecture along w/ my interest in classic oceanliners - when I travel I do look at the makeup of a hote / ship...smart design can be sophiticated, beautiful, functional & comfortable without looking like a theme park...I like the Ritz Carlton designed hotels over Four Seasons....the new Oceania ships are more appealing than the new Seabourn ships....to each their own!

You're quite correct - the ships owned by Oceania, acquired from the Renaissance bankruptcy, have not been refurbished to any material degree. Due to the excellent design, by John McNeese, little needed to be done other than to continue with their outstanding workmanship.

Your use of the phrase "simple elegance" was spot on. I will presume that Horndorner, Stan&Jim and Tim Rubacky will agree!!

On opening this post I felt that there would be news of an "improvement" to the "R" ships. Heaven forbid we loose the elegance in favour of the neon effect of so many other lines and ships. We are returning to Oceania next week after a long absence and are so looking forward to finding things as we remember them.

On opening this post I felt that there would be news of an "improvement" to the "R" ships. Heaven forbid we loose the elegance in favour of the neon effect of so many other lines and ships. We are returning to Oceania next week after a long absence and are so looking forward to finding things as we remember them.

I believe the headboards & the bedside lighting have changed ...

no more dread switch in the middle of the headboard

when someone accidentally hits it in their sleep :eek: & wakes you up in the middle of the night when all the lights flash on :eek:

I believe the headboards & the bedside lighting have changed ...

no more dread switch in the middle of the headboard

when someone accidentally hits it in their sleep :eek: & wakes you up in the middle of the night when all the lights flash on :eek:

Lyn,

you are correct. During the 2010 and 2011 dry-docks, all of the staterooms and Penthouses received new tufted headboards, new Wenge walnut paneling, new lighting and updated upholstery.

I would frequently wake up in the middle of the night or early morning and be totally befuddled as to how the lights got left on.

It wasn't until 2005 or 2006 that I discovered the "mystery" light switch. :o

Tim

It wasn't until 2005 or 2006 that I discovered the "mystery" light switch. :o

Tim

I was woken up several times by someone who will remain nameless

and has a tendency to wave his arms around in his sleep & hit the switch :eek:

For a split second you wonder who is in the cabin with you :D

Lyn

Archived