new name for the veendam?

CtheW0rld

I suggest the name of: My-most-wonderful-cruise-memories-dam!

The only cruise I shared with my late mother was on this wonderful ship. The crew was so wonderful to my mother in her wheelchair. The matre'd came to the dining room entrance every night of our cruise and wheeled my mother to our table!

Also a couple of years later our first and only cruise where all 5 of us sisters did a cruise together!

I know there are terrible reviews on this ship, but to me she will always mean happy memories of my family!!!!

I bet HAL loves this thread. What an asset some of you are.

You'll slam their fleet,but want obc after final payment has been made and the price has gone down. You'll also want to be upgraded from a rudder cabin to the penthouse. Goood luck:)

Wakepatrol, I object to your comment. I neither asked for an obc after final payment, nor did I ask for an upgrade. I asked for no compensation for a voyage on the Veendam that was far below acceptable standards. If you have read previous comments, other Cruise Critic passengers also accepted what they received without asking for compensation. Maybe some of us are just a bit ticked off about having spend limited vacation time and resources on a shabby holiday. You want further details, just ask!

BTW, I didn't notice that posters were slaming the fleet as you suggested, but I did note that there was a common thread regarding recent comments about the Veendam.We can't all have imagined the same things going wrong on the ship! - Several reports from passengers in various cabin categories on different voyages - do you think we are making it all up? Well, no matter to me personally - take from it what you wish. Hopefully, things will change and experiences will improve.

And good luck to you too. Regards, S.

You'll slam their fleet,but want obc after final payment has been made and the price has gone down. You'll also want to be upgraded from a rudder cabin to the penthouse. Goood luck:)

the truth hurts sometimes. it's a shame that hal management has allowed the veendam to deteriorate to the point that this thread came into existence.

the truth hurts sometimes. it's a shame that hal management has allowed the veendam to deteriorate to the point that this thread came into existence.

It is interesting that the Veendam has drawn so much interest and negative comments. It's not that every other ship in the HAL fleet is perfect, they're big complicated machines and in some respects it's amazing there aren't more problems. Speaks to the expertise and hard work of not only HAL's crews and staffs but actually the majority of cruise lines. Of course, other than than sauna-like conditions in our cabin and in the MDR on our Veendam cruise there also was the service and food issues. Why the Veendam and our cruise had those issues I can't say. Seems inconsistent with the HAL ethic and model but it happened. Having read through this thread and thinking about the other threads, reviews, and comments it's kind of hard not to get the impression that somehow for whatever reason or reasons the Veendam seems to have more than her share of problems.

While in the process of describing us HAL cruisers and particularly those booked on Veendam, please include those who are paying about $1,200 per diem and get no OBC. Let's be accurate if we're going to be descriptive.

Thanks. :)

I am very disturbed reading all the comments about Veendam as we and our friends really want to do the itinerary we have booked but we don't want to spend all that money and have an awful experience with malfunctioning mechanical systems and a falling down dining room ceiling etc It is discouraging and I really don't know whether we should avoid a cruise we were so excited to see offered and it's a one time only for next year. They haven't done it for the last 2 or 3 years.... who knows if they will again?

I have to wonder if the complaints beyond the a/c issue simply breed more discontent about other things on the ship. If you are unhappy about one thing, your mind starts wondering "what else is wrong?" and perhaps folks simply begin to pick up on other issues that normally they would not think twice about...its about a tolerance level.

Its a big reason why two people can have vastly different experiences on the same ship at the same time.

It is interesting that the Veendam has drawn so much interest and negative comments. It's not that every other ship in the HAL fleet is perfect, they're big complicated machines and in some respects it's amazing there aren't more problems. Speaks to the expertise and hard work of not only HAL's crews and staffs but actually the majority of cruise lines. Of course, other than than sauna-like conditions in our cabin and in the MDR on our Veendam cruise there also was the service and food issues. Why the Veendam and our cruise had those issues I can't say. Seems inconsistent with the HAL ethic and model but it happened. Having read through this thread and thinking about the other threads, reviews, and comments it's kind of hard not to get the impression that somehow for whatever reason or reasons the Veendam seems to have more than her share of problems.

As I read this thread, I think back to the numerous complaints and dissatsifaction with Zuiderdam within the last six months. There seemed to be lots of problems on that ship for a while but lately those complaints have ceased.

I think it might be different for Veendam because of the aft mess they made and perhaps the conditions make it likely Veendam's issues won't be solved completely....... maybe ever? No one wants to go to a ship knowing the kind of things that continue to happen to a number of cabins.

How to know if it will happen to 'your' cabin? Sigh....

It isn't okay. It isn't defensible. It shouldn't continue to happen. IMO

I am very sure these sort of comments are making me no friends but it is how I see it.

I have to wonder if the complaints beyond the a/c issue simply breed more discontent about other things on the ship. If you are unhappy about one thing, your mind starts wondering "what else is wrong?" and perhaps folks simply begin to pick up on other issues that normally they would not think twice about...its about a tolerance level.

Its a big reason why two people can have vastly different experiences on the same ship at the same time.

This would be accurate if only the complaints were more than two. A/C and water leaking is the only real problems repeatedly mentioned.

The ship looks good for the most part, as my review stated. It's got no really worse wear and tear than any other 16 year old vessel. The problems are the two things you can't see - HVAC and piping.

When people on all different decks and aft and fore complain about A/C, it's a legitimate problem and not nit-picky. When the main galley floods and delays embarkation by hours, then on that same cruise there are floods/leaks on many floors, it's not nit-picky.

I too take offense to the post saying we are seeking OBC or anything. We received a free Pinnacle lunch which we didn't ever ask for in return. We simply want the situation resolved and it did not happen.

As I read this thread, I think back to the numerous complaints and dissatsifaction with Zuiderdam within the last six months. There seemed to be lots of problems on that ship for a while but lately those complaints have ceased.

I think it might be different for Veendam because of the aft mess they made and perhaps the conditions make it likely Veendam's issues won't be solved completely....... maybe ever? No one wants to go to a ship knowing the kind of things that continue to happen to a number of cabins.

How to know if it will happen to 'your' cabin? Sigh....

It isn't okay. It isn't defensible. It shouldn't continue to happen. IMO

I am very sure these sort of comments are making me no friends but it is how I see it.

Since we have no interest in the larger ships I've not paid a lot of attention to reviews or threads about the Zuiderdam but obviously that's not good. The other reason I focus on the smaller R and S ships is that as much as I love them I also know they're starting to get a little long in the tooth so to speak. Certainly HAL has and continues to spend a great deal of money on keeping them as fresh and as up to date as they can, or at least economically can, but the truth is sooner or later they'll start to leave the fleet. I have no crystal ball so I'm not going to venture a guess when that might be and can only hope it'll be years and years.

There have been numerous issues.

1.) the rust occurring in light fixtures over the MDR that requires a net to protect people from falling fixtures.

2.) the use of fans/dehumidifiers to remove moisture from carpets in rooms when water mysteriously soaks the carpets from unknown origins.

3.) the failure of air conditioning to function properly in cabins and area's of the ship.

I'd really like to see a list of all the 'issues' that have been noted by passengers on the Veendam in the last year. Maybe HAL needs to have a Honey-Do list for the Veendam since they seem to be turning the other cheek! As much as we have sailed HAL in the past.......throwing good money after bad reviews is not my idea of 'vacation'.........at least not on the Veendam!

There have been numerous issues.

1.) the rust occurring in light fixtures over the MDR that requires a net to protect people from falling fixtures.

2.) the use of fans/dehumidifiers to remove moisture from carpets in rooms when water mysteriously soaks the carpets from unknown origins.

3.) the failure of air conditioning to function properly in cabins and area's of the ship.

I'd really like to see a list of all the 'issues' that have been noted by passengers on the Veendam in the last year. Maybe HAL needs to have a Honey-Do list for the Veendam since they seem to be turning the other cheek! As much as we have sailed HAL in the past.......throwing good money after bad reviews is not my idea of 'vacation'.........at least not on the Veendam!

The ones you mention would be a good starting point for that Honey Do list.

I am going to make a suggestion that the problems the Veendam are experiencing may be related to workmanship issues at the time she was built. I sailed on her when she was just less than 2 years old and I recall seeing minor issues at the time (i.e. caulking around the bath tub that was loose and needing replacement already). I remember wondering at that time if she had been constructed as well as she ought to have been.

I am going to make a suggestion that the problems the Veendam are experiencing may be related to workmanship issues at the time she was built. I sailed on her when she was just less than 2 years old and I recall seeing minor issues at the time (i.e. caulking around the bath tub that was loose and needing replacement already). I remember wondering at that time if she had been constructed as well as she ought to have been.

I've always considered the HVAC and plumbing issues probably poor design but then again poor design poorly constructed is double trouble. :eek: I don't know that the Ryndam, one of our favorites, has HVAC issues but I know from personal experience she has had plumbing issues from very early....like six weeks after going into service which my first cruise on her.

Over the years we have sailed on the Veendam several times, always with good service, good food and few difficulties. I did not like her post-renovation looks, and was unsure of how I'd like being on board during our Antarctica cruise last January - but was again impressed with good service, good food and no complaints. We tried the new lanai cabins and were very pleased. And, of course, the cruise itself was spectacular. Don't miss an Antarctic opportunity because of griping about this ship!

Glad you had a good trip.......that's nice. Did you enjoy the net in the MDR during meals? The fact that it isn't fixed is disconcerting. No----this is not griping.........that's rather a petty comment when people are citing their experiences with damp floors, fans/dehumidifiers, temperature control failures. Glad you enjoyed your trip. You 'lucked out' and didn't have to deal with what many others have faced on this ship. :eek:

I really want to go ...

Most of these issues are exaggerated. We were on ms Veendam for 22 nights in April, and have plans to be back on this ship next year. We actually were in a stateroom with an air conditioning issue (only an issue when we hit Panama). A great deal of the ship has been refurbished and is in great condition, and looks just like Maasdam (except for the aft pool).

I thought someone had started a thread to point out specific cabin numbers with issues (along with dates). Maybe someone can find it.

I think that thread would be a lot more helpful than some of these posts because it would point out specific issues to management, and let others know which staterooms they might want to try to avoid.

If others know your cabin number they may be able to assist with more specific information.

Archived