new name for the veendam?

CtheW0rld

After our cruise on the Veendam in 2007 where our cabin never got below 80 degrees....and that's the coolest it got, not the hottest, I'd call her the Saunadam. Of course that was the cruise where they appeared to be cleaning out the food locker and we had meatloaf as a major dinner entree three nights so maybe the Meatloafdam. Oh by the way....we're in no hurry to cruise the Veendam again. :D

I sincerely hope you are kidding about the meatloaf!

After our cruise on the Veendam in 2007 where our cabin never got below 80 degrees....and that's the coolest it got, not the hottest, I'd call her the Saunadam. Of course that was the cruise where they appeared to be cleaning out the food locker and we had meatloaf as a major dinner entree three nights so maybe the Meatloafdam. Oh by the way....we're in no hurry to cruise the Veendam again. :D

that would be an insult to meatloafs everywhere.

Out of respect for Her Officers and Crew and all who will or have sailed on Her. I will continue to refer to Her as the MS Veendam.

Thanks for that comment aliaschief! I am doing a South America cruise from Valparaiso to Rio on the Veendam in December. This will be my first HAL cruise and I am excited about it. It's disappointing to read all of the negative reviews. Oh well, I plan to have a great time and make the most of any difficulties that I may encounter.

Agree -- to get to the root of the air coniditioning and plumbing problems, she would have to be in dry dock for months. And that is costly.

Agree! Those plumbing problems have continued to go on for so very long. Getting to the root is no easy solution. :o

Only hope people don't allow an unfortunate experience on Veendam to keep them from taking other HAL cruises.

Note: Not HAL cheerleaders ... our favorite cruiseline is Princess. Still, we have and hope in the future to cruise from time to time on HAL. :)

LuLu

Our first HAL cruise was on the Veendam to Alaska in 2008 right after it's "Signature of Excellence" refitting. We had no complaints, none of the ships in that class on HAL are "wow" ships but they are fine for what they offer, quality cruising without the crowds.

We think Veendam's older sister, Maasdam, to be a WOW ship.

We find her elegant, just the right size, great crew, wonderful art, lots of things we love about Maasdam and have sailed her about 34 cruises as proof. :)

Maasdam is about 3 years older yet we think her great! :)

The Veendam is my very first 'dam' ship...and perhaps because I have no experience on another HAL ship for comparison I can't find anything wrong with her.

My husband and I thought she was a beautiful ship...perfect size and of a style that never made me feel like I was on a floating resort but a true ship and cruise.

We loved all the public spaces we experienced. We did not spend any time in the Retreat but perhaps that is because we sailed in early May when the temps on deck out in the open air were still a bit chilly when underway.

We loved her so much that we can't wait to try another HAL ship.

We think Veendam's older sister, Maasdam, to be a WOW ship.

We find her elegant, just the right size, great crew, wonderful art, lots of things we love about Maasdam and have sailed her about 34 cruises as proof. :)

Maasdam is about 3 years older yet we think her great! :)

Couldn't agree more. Wild horses couldn't get us on the Veendam again but we'd cruise the Maasdam again in a heartbeat. It's no secret that we had a not so good cruise on the Veendam which was really a shame as we love and prefer the R and S class ships. Our favorites are the Ryndam and Maasdam, both S class, and the Volendam which is an R class.

Couldn't agree more. Wild horses couldn't get us on the Veendam again but we'd cruise the Maasdam again in a heartbeat. It's no secret that we had a not so good cruise on the Veendam which was really a shame as we love and prefer the R and S class ships. Our favorites are the Ryndam and Maasdam, both S class, and the Volendam which is an R class.

Glad to hear the good comment about Ryndam since she's our next ship to sail. I too had an awful cruise on Veendam, but I love Maasdam and have been on her 3 times in the past few years.

Glad to hear the good comment about Ryndam since she's our next ship to sail. I too had an awful cruise on Veendam, but I love Maasdam and have been on her 3 times in the past few years.

The Ryndam was my first HAL cruise back when she was first introduced to the fleet. A few years later she was our honeymoon cruise ship and we've been on her a couple more times. She will always be our sentimental favorite. :)

Archived