new name for the veendam?

CtheW0rld

Brokendam? Junkendam?

Truth is, I did the Bermuda run two years in a row and never had a problem with the Veendam. Sure, she does not have the "wow factor" of the newer ships, but for her age she is in good shape. YMMV.

Going to drydock doean't mean the structural problems will even be addressed. It could be a cosmetic-only drydock. To really solve the major problems more money will be needed to be spent than I imagine HAL intends to do.

Agree -- to get to the root of the air coniditioning and plumbing problems, she would have to be in dry dock for months. And that is costly.

How about Rottendam?

Sail, as to the retreat on Rotterdam, maybe they realized as soon as Veendam set sail that the water was sloshing out over the poolette and when they did the refit for Rotterdam they corrected those issues. Just a guess.

After our cruise on the Veendam in 2007 where our cabin never got below 80 degrees....and that's the coolest it got, not the hottest, I'd call her the Saunadam. Of course that was the cruise where they appeared to be cleaning out the food locker and we had meatloaf as a major dinner entree three nights so maybe the Meatloafdam. Oh by the way....we're in no hurry to cruise the Veendam again. :D

The next scheduled dry dock should come around Nov 2013.

It's going to have to be a long one if they want to get it right, I suspect. Having said that, we had zero problems on her in May. We thought she was a lovely ship. Go figure.

Archived