Cruising with just a "carry-on".

celbercrz333

Recently I thought about our first cruise last fall. We took a bus to the NYC port and left from there. This time we are flying from Baltimore to Miami. It suddenly occurred to me that we might make it to Miami and our luggage could go to New Zealand! So my question is this, has anyone cruised with only their carry-on? Just what should I put in my new, larger carry on that I purchased this morning? I figured going to Nassau, I'd need a bathing suite, nightie, medicine, some toiletries and a change of clothes. Now I know this is only a 3 nighter and Carnival does have a self-serve laundramat on board. Am I missing anything?

--Joanne

Celebrity Zenith 10/2003

coming: Carnival Fascination Fall 2004

I've done a 3 nighter with a carryon suitcase and garment bag. No problem. You just have to make sure your carryon is the right size for the airline. Check out their size requirements at the airline's website.

13 cruises so far - RCCL, Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, NCL, HAL (we were on the last cruise of the wonderful Norway, still have my room key)

Caribbean Princess 5/15/04

Be brave...live free!

celbercrz333,

Sorry to interject, but...How do you go through all that trouble just for a 3 night cruise? This would be a tease to me. I apologize if I sound abrasive so please excuse me. I could be missing something here, so forgive me.

JCruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2004;4;25;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CRUIZ'IN & BOOZ'IN IS WHAT WE'RE CHOOZ'IN

I've done 7-12 day cruises with nothing more than a carry-on. (Well, I think I had a camera bag once or twice.) I choose my clothes very carefully, use the self-service laundry and don't buy a lot of stuff. Four dress shirts and six ties that will match any of them, for instance. I like traveling light and not waiting at the carousel to see which comes first: My bags, or Christmas.

It doesn't sit very well with the Alert Security Staff at the airport. They seem to think a 62-y/o white guy with nothing but a carry-on bag looks just like a terrorist bent on flying an airplane into a skyscraper. At least, that's about how I've been treated.

Put "Cruise Critic" in e-mail subject line: tomcarten@hotmail.com

Taking a 3 day cruise may just be a teaser-- I am going on a cruise for a weekend- Friday and coming back Sunday morning on the Legend. Its an affordable way to check out other ships.

I agree that a weekend cruise is just a teaser though- as long as you got something else on that back burner it isnt too bad.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

BaumD ... you talkin' to me? If so, here's the tomc packing blueprint for a 10-12 day cruise (I don't pack that many ties for a 7):

6 sets of necessaries (undies, socks, golf shirts). Wash five on Day 6 in the self-serve laundry, repeat on Day 9 or 10. Four dress shirts and 6 ties that match any of them, ditto on the laundry. Wear a suit coming/going, pack spare trousers. Pack a light jacket, bb cap, rain cap, binoculars, toiletries, 35mm camera.

I don't buy anything on the trip (money is an issue; I have to book cheap and travel cheap), so I don't have to budget any space for that.

Put "Cruise Critic" in e-mail subject line: tomcarten@hotmail.com

Serene,

We do have something on the back burner. Half of our vacation is the cruise to Nassau from Miami. After arriving back at Miami, we are going back to the airport, renting a car and going up to Ft. Lauderdale for a few days. So this is a nice combination cruise/land trip.

Joanne

Celebrity Zenith 10/2003

coming: Fascination Fall of 2004

• 7 years later...
Recently I thought about our first cruise last fall. We took a bus to the NYC port and left from there. This time we are flying from Baltimore to Miami. It suddenly occurred to me that we might make it to Miami and our luggage could go to New Zealand! So my question is this, has anyone cruised with only their carry-on? Just what should I put in my new, larger carry on that I purchased this morning? I figured going to Nassau, I'd need a bathing suite, nightie, medicine, some toiletries and a change of clothes. Now I know this is only a 3 nighter and Carnival does have a self-serve laundramat on board. Am I missing anything?

--Joanne

Celebrity Zenith 10/2003

We booked a cruise from Alaska with our friends a couple of years a go. My friend told me how she had taken a trip with her friend to South American and took only a carry on bag and a large bag for personal effects. So I tryed it. We were going up a week early renting a Motor home to see Alaska R V ing. Welll the trip was great. I packed everything we needed in a carry on that included three black evening tops with evening Pant . Wore my jeans and took another pair for camping.Bathing suits ect ect ect. We both took carry on and a large bag for Med and junk. We had more than enought clothes. The last stop R V ing I washed our chothes. We meet our friends and borded the ship. HOW EVER We picked up sweat shirts, Jackets, little gift items for our Family. Last stop before turning in The RV was a stop at Wal Mart to buy a duffal Bag to get it all home. As soon as we were on board we gave the room steward Waynes Suit to be pressed. I works fine Just don't shop. :):):):)

Dee and Wayne loving to Cruise.

We're doing a two week Med cruise next year (with a couple days on either end in Europe) with only our carryons. We'll each have a roll on, plus a "small personal item" like a day pack or tote bag. I often do 10 day business trips with just my roll on. I pack smart with dual purpose clothing that will mix and match, limit the shoes, and hand wash/send laundry out as needed.

I have done cruises carry on only. Even a cruise on a luxury cruise line. Usually when I cruise I plan to start my cruise at the end of business travel so that I save on air fare for part of my vacation. It can be done, but you have to plan carefully and shop wisely.

On the homeward flights I check as much as possible to make my travel easier.

It doesn't sit very well with the Alert Security Staff at the airport. They seem to think a 62-y/o white guy with nothing but a carry-on bag looks just like a terrorist bent on flying an airplane into a skyscraper. At least, that's about how I've been treated.

I am sorry, but I disagree about security. Whenever I visit my mom in Florida, I just take a carry on. I have never been hassled, and I am the same demographic as you.

I would love to know how anyone can take a cruise over a few days and take only a carry on now? Where do you pack things like mouthwash, toothpaste, liquids of any kind? There is no way I could get enough in that little plastic bag to get through security for a cruise of any lenght over a few days.

I would love to know how anyone can take a cruise over a few days and take only a carry on now? Where do you pack things like mouthwash, toothpaste, liquids of any kind? There is no way I could get enough in that little plastic bag to get through security for a cruise of any lenght over a few days.

Of course this is an issue. We usually check one medium bag each (free for us) and so the larger bottles go in the checked bag.

But, we sometimes do go with just carryon, for instance when we traveled with 7 grandchildren, not on our 'free luggage' airline, and didn't want to pay 9 bag fees. Here's what I do when this comes up.

First of all, it's surprising how much you can stuff in that little bag you are allowed, and can usually use some of my husband's bag too, as he doesn't take many liquids. I buy as many of the essentials in 3oz. or travel sizes as I can. I already know, for instance, that a travel size toothpaste will last me at least 7 days.

I also decide, just for the cruise, to leave some of the normal things I use home; ie mouthwash (altho a 3 oz size lasts me 7 days, I don't want to use up my quart size bag space for it). I take the minimum of cosmetics and face creams and plan on using the ship's shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion. If I have room I add some travel size products, just in case--for instance, some ships don't have conditioner.

We also usually fly in one day early and go to a local store to buy anything we have to have in larger sizes, such as suncreen, use as much as we need on the trip and then (though it hurts) discard anything left over before our flight.

It helps not to be super picky about products and to be willing to downsize. For instance, at home I use 2-3 different face creams most days, or more. On a cruise, I bring just one all-purpose cream. I don't bring all my vitamins and supplements either; I figure I'll survive a week or two without them.

It takes some planning and practice, but it can be done.

• 3 weeks later...

In April I took a 4 day cruise plus 3 days travel with only my carry on and a large purse. I was traveling with my MIL and SIL and therefore didn't have my husband's bag to use.

It helps that I use mineral powder makeup. I brought liquid shampoo, conditioner, body wash, toothpaste, small sunscreen, moisturizer, and several other things. I also had 3 or 4 pairs of shoes.

I even managed to bring back 8 pairs of sandals for my family. One thing that really helps is rollling clothes. I packed them normally going out and filled my bags fairly full. Rolling them coming back allowed space for all of the shoes I bought. I couldn't believe the difference.

DH and I have done a 14 day cruise with a 2-day pre stay with just carry-on's! It can be done!

To me the most important thing is - ask yourself while you're packing, "Am I REALLY going to wear this?" If there is any doubt - leave it out.

We go to the local drugstore and buy all our beauty products before the cruise. I always make sure I book a hotel for our pre-night(s) that has a drugstore within walking distance. DH likes for there to be a Starbucks nearby too. LOL

--Joanne

Celebrity Zenith 10/2003

I can't go away for the weekend with just a carry-on! Good for you to be so organized.

Have fun!

I've done a 30 day cruise with only carry on luggage - it helps that we drive to the cruise port so liquids aren't an issue. Planning to do our upcoming 45 day cruise with only carry on luggage. Our carry on luggage is 2 rolling bags each plus I carry a beach bag and DH carries a briefcase. I've never wished I had carried more.

I've done a 30 day cruise with only carry on luggage - it helps that we drive to the cruise port so liquids aren't an issue. Planning to do our upcoming 45 day cruise with only carry on luggage. Our carry on luggage is 2 rolling bags each plus I carry a beach bag and DH carries a briefcase. I've never wished I had carried more.

I realize this probably isn't acceptable as airplane carry on anymore, but it was when we flew into Vancouver for our Alaska cruise. After that cruise we used this same luggage for an additional 5 weeks - 2 week visit in the Vancouver/Powell River area followed by a 1 week train ride seeing the Canadian Rockies then on to Toronto and finally 2 weeks in Michigan before heading home.

Archived