Tendering into Capri?

crzrr

Heard from a friend who just got off of the Quest that instead of anchoring off of Capri and tendering in, they had to anchor off of Sorrento for two nights instead of one. This meant taking the ferry to Capri. Not a huge deal but we have a private excursion booked on Capri and need to allow "ferry" time if this is the case. My friend said that the Italian authorities do not want Azamara using their own tenders. Does anyone know anything about this, such as was this a one time thing or will it be the policy going forward? She said that AZ allowed people who booked AZ excursions to cancel but, if they did not, the cost of the excursion increased by the amount of the ferry (@ 30 euros). Part of the appeal of this cruise was the ability to tender in to Capri. As I said, no big deal, but want to be prepared.

Sue

Heard from a friend who just got off of the Quest that instead of anchoring off of Capri and tendering in, they had to anchor off of Sorrento for two nights instead of one. This meant taking the ferry to Capri. Not a huge deal but we have a private excursion booked on Capri and need to allow "ferry" time if this is the case. My friend said that the Italian authorities do not want Azamara using their own tenders. Does anyone know anything about this, such as was this a one time thing or will it be the policy going forward? She said that AZ allowed people who booked AZ excursions to cancel but, if they did not, the cost of the excursion increased by the amount of the ferry (@ 30 euros). Part of the appeal of this cruise was the ability to tender in to Capri. As I said, no big deal, but want to be prepared.

Sue

I hope not as we are due there in 3 weeks time on the Journey and it would spoil it some what.

If it helps I have just this minute checked on ******************** and the Journey is currently anchored off of Capri and is due to set off for Civitavecchia in 2/3 hours time.

I pressume therefore that there is no problem in General and maybe this was a one off because of other reasons. I hope so anyway.

As I recall Sorrento is one of these ports where due to local requirements, the ships must use the port tender company and not their tenders -Santorini is another

We have tendered into Sorrento twice using the Azamara tender, the last time was 2009 if the above is correct it must have been a recent change

We have tendered into Sorrento twice using the Azamara tender, the last time was 2009 if the above is correct it must have been a recent change

I read there had been a change - something to do with Italian Unions - but I cannot remember where I saw that.

I certianly hope we tender into Capri. We have already been there twice and I was looking forward to not having to take a ferry there. We were in Sorrento overnight in 2010 on the Quest and we used the tenders. I really don't want to overnight in Sorrento again.

Last July we were on the Quest , due to tender in Capri as first port of call.This was changed to Naples the reason given being a safety issue.The weather was windy & the seas choppy which made tendering difficult.In Capri they have to use local tenders & the captain didnt have the same faith in them as he had in his own crew.Our second port of call was Sorrento , the weather was only slightly better ,but we tendered using the ships tenders. The rise & fall of these boats was quite large at times & the assistance of the crew very necessary .We shall be in Sorrento again next month & I am hoping to get the ferry to Capri

Last July we were on the Quest , due to tender in Capri as first port of call.This was changed to Naples the reason given being a safety issue.The weather was windy & the seas choppy which made tendering difficult.In Capri they have to use local tenders & the captain didnt have the same faith in them as he had in his own crew.Our second port of call was Sorrento , the weather was only slightly better ,but we tendered using the ships tenders. The rise & fall of these boats was quite large at times & the assistance of the crew very necessary .We shall be in Sorrento again next month & I am hoping to get the ferry to Capri

We were on the Quest last July and tendered in to Capri using local tenders. The boats were open, there was a slight swell and the journey was frankly dangerous. Captain Carl Smith was very unhappy about this situation and asked the local authorities to reconsider and allow Azamara's tenders to be used but they refused.

We were doing a back to back and were due to call in to Capri again but Captain Smith decided to arrange a berth in Naples for safety reasons.

I can understand that cruisers will be disappointed if the ship decides to berth along the coast in Naples or Sorrento for safety reasons but from my own personal experience this is the best course of action.

Enjoy your time on the beautiful Amalfi coast

Hi, triplestar, do you think we have enough time to visit Capri on our last day in Sorrento when we are due to depart for Rome at 4 PM? We have no plans to go to the Blue Grotto. (We plan to visit the Archaeological Museum in Naples the first full day in Sorrento.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We too have been tendered by Az. into Sorrento three times.

Last time was 2011

Just returned from the 01/SEP Journey cruise...we did use local tenders in Capri and it was quite rough. I understand there were some injuries none serious. The captain stated they offered just to pay the local tenders and use the ship's tenders but the port said no.

You have to listen to the crew of the ship and let them help you on and off. The last tender ride back to the ship yesterday was amazing... With the local tender operator playing That's Amore on the radio and the passengers signing along in the beautiful blue med with Capri as the back drop.....priceless.

I was on Journey last week and we anchored off Capri and tendered into the Marina Grande. Azamara must use the tenders provided by Capri, not their own tenders. They look like overgrown row boats compared to Journey's tenders. But...they get you there. As to a change of plans involving 2 nights off Sorrento, I cannot say definitively. However, the seas force changes. We were told that we could not anchor off Sorrento because of choppy seas. The captain said phooey and we went to Sorrento instead of to Naples where we were to be diverted. Early in our cruise we also could not go to Portovenere and so anchored off La Spezia and got to Portovenere by hook and by crook. For me that meant a public bus. An interesting experience. By the way, Azamara used their own tenders at Sorrento.

Just returned from the 01/SEP Journey cruise...we did use local tenders in Capri and it was quite rough. I understand there were some injuries none serious. The captain stated they offered just to pay the local tenders and use the ship's tenders but the port said no.

You have to listen to the crew of the ship and let them help you on and off. The last tender ride back to the ship yesterday was amazing... With the local tender operator playing That's Amore on the radio and the passengers signing along in the beautiful blue med with Capri as the back drop.....priceless.

Kathy...there was a couple from Australia on the one boat and saw an injury first hand...she said it was the fault of the Italian operating the boat...he was rushing people off and one lady got her leg caught between the boat and the ramp to the ship...the guy from Azamara pushed the boat away or her leg would have been crushed...also one man got his hand cut and had to have 22 stitches. I don't think that incident could be blamed on anyone...some people don't understand boating safety. As for us, we did not have any problems on their boats. We were just so happy to be there. :D:D

I'm already looking at cruises for next year...would love to do a back to back cruise so it would give us more time...and more time to relax.

We were on the 8/29 Quest sailing and the captain chose not to tender at Capri, but to remain tendered in Sorrento for two nights. Also the cruise before ours did not tender at Capri. The weather did not appear to be too bad. I believe for safety AZ is being cautious and not using Capri's tender service,and we had no problem with that. We caught one of the first tenders to Sorrento, walked to the hydrofoil station and caught an early boat to Capri. 30 EU pp and a half hour ride.

We were on the 8/29 Quest sailing and the captain chose not to tender at Capri, but to remain tendered in Sorrento for two nights. Also the cruise before ours did not tender at Capri. The weather did not appear to be too bad. I believe for safety AZ is being cautious and not using Capri's tender service,and we had no problem with that. We caught one of the first tenders to Sorrento, walked to the hydrofoil station and caught an early boat to Capri. 30 EU pp and a half hour ride.

Yikes! 30 Euros per person each way!!:eek:

Believe me folks.....that price will seem a bargain compared to the horrors of using the local Capri boats!

Captain Carl makes a very sensible decision to go to Sorrento. We were on the same cruise as Spursgirl......I will never forget jumping from the rail of an small open boat with nothing to hold onto, rough seas and an 18 year old lad piloting the boat, taking about 20 attempts to even get his boat anywhere near Quest! :eek: If not for the wonderful Azamara crew, who seemed to float in air to catch us all, most of us would have been in the sea. And my 80 year old mother had to do this as well!

Captain Carl had tried everything he could to persuade the Capri authorities to let Azamara use their own tenders, but the Capri authorities would not agree.

So now I think it is very common for Azamara to go to Sorrento instead and advise passengers to get the Hydrofoil over to Capri.

And if you think the Capri Hydrofoil tickets are expensive, just wait until you buy a coffee and ice cream there! :D

It is a very beautiful place though......were it not for the hordes of tourists!

When you click on the share button, there are 4 options to copy and paste..not sure which one to choose.

I just click on the picture then right click and copy the picture then paste it to the post. I'm not sure what 4 options you are talking about. I don't use the share button.

Archived