Celebrity San Juan Policy

neverbeenhere

On embarkation day, Can I drop my luggage off in my stateroom, then hit the town for the night?

For the night? If you are sailing on Summit and she leaves at 8:30 then

you need to be back to the ship at least 1 hour before she sails.

So yes, you can board & go out for the day but as for hitting town

for the night? I don't think that would be the best idea.......

Unless I am misunderstanding the question.

The plan is on at 1ish and back on by the horn. Muster on the morning of day 2

Hi, they might have a 2nd muster but I have sailed from San Juan

before and there was a Muster the night the ship sailed.

I am just giving you my opinion....I would not chance "hitting the

town" for the night.......

Thanks Lois - I couldn't remember the name of the pier that is used for embarkation -- but I know that you can't walk to anything from it!

No problem:)......and you are right, I would never walk anywhere

from this Pier...definitely not "pedestrian friendly":eek:

You can walk across the road and watch the GA aircraft come and go....but for OSJ you do need a cab. It is only a 15-20 minute trip and there should be lots of cabs coming and going, but, ah you know the rest, others have warned and I am sure there is now a muster drill before sailing. I cannot image it any other way after the Costa disaster

Won't a Taxi be only $ 10 to $15 to Old San Juan each way?

Yes, about that much. Just wanting to make you aware of all the

details...only trying to help.

When you first said you want to "hit the town for the night".....sounded

like you didn't realize it would not be for the night......just remember

to come back to the ship on time for sailing and they are pretty

strict about the timeframe.

You will drop your luggage curbside when you first arrive at the pier before even going into the check-in building. It will be deliverred directly to your stateroom. So there is no need for you to even think about "dropping off luggage in your stateroom". It is delivered there directly from the curb.

You could also just place a luggage tag on any "non-valuable" carry-ons and leave them curbside with the porters too. There is no limit I know of as to how many pieces you can have delivered from the curb directly to your stateroom.

Staterooms are usually ready for occupancy around 1pm. At that time you can get in there and place any valuables in the room safe before heading off to Old San Juan.

Have sailed 2x from San Juan and have done this both times. Plan to go into town in the mid-afternoon, look around and have an early dinner (around 5 -5:30 pm). Short cab ride back and you are on-board to stay around 7pm. It's very easy and fun.

Just know for sure what time you must be back on board and give yourself plenty of time to make it!

Enjoy!

You probably won't have access to your cabin until at least 1:00pm-1:30pm. I would try to leave for the night. Not a good risk-reward. But, it's your call. Have a great cruise.

Hope you meant, "I would NOT try to leave for the night";)

On embarkation day, Can I drop my luggage off in my stateroom, then hit the town for the night?

The rule is you have to be back on board at least 90 minutes before the ship is scheduled to depart. Plus, you need to check the time of the muster drill. You must be back on board for that, so if it's scheduled for 5:30, you have to be back on board by that time. So, no going out for the night.

Another note.......

You must have a photo ID in addition to your sea pass.

If you want to see San Juan sparkle stay on deck during the sail away around El Moro. That should take the place of any excitement you think you might miss on shore.

If at all possible make sure you make the first muster drill. There's nothing worse than an early start to your first morning onboard. We had to do this once and a whole group came in their jammies!!!!! Some because they thought it was really cute and some because they were rousted from their cabins.

OP, If I'm reading you correctly this is your first cruise. If so be aware that your luggage will be delivered to the hallway closest to your cabin door, not inside your cabin. It can also take hours to show up, even after sail away.

Enjoy San Juan and have a great cruise. The southern Caribbean is diverse and addictive.

The rule is you have to be back on board at least 90 minutes before the ship is scheduled to depart. Plus, you need to check the time of the muster drill. You must be back on board for that, so if it's scheduled for 5:30, you have to be back on board by that time. So, no going out for the night.

Actually if you've already checked in for your cruise and have your seapass photo done you only need to be back on board 30 minutes prior to sailing like the it would be for a port call. Concerning the muster drill they will have another one, usually the next morning, for those who miss the typical 5 or 5:30PM one because of late arriving or touring. We've sailed out of SJ six times and have done this at least twice.

Another note.......

You must have a photo ID in addition to your sea pass.

If you want to see San Juan sparkle stay on deck during the sail away around El Moro. That should take the place of any excitement you think you might miss on shore.

If at all possible make sure you make the first muster drill. There's nothing worse than an early start to your first morning onboard. We had to do this once and a whole group came in their jammies!!!!! Some because they thought it was really cute and some because they were rousted from their cabins.

OP, If I'm reading you correctly this is your first cruise. If so be aware that your luggage will be delivered to the hallway closest to your cabin door, not inside your cabin. It can also take hours to show up, even after sail away.

Enjoy San Juan and have a great cruise. The southern Caribbean is diverse and addictive.

Yep, it certainly is.

Archived