Veendam failed latest cdc inspection

As Salacia said, it would really be nice to get a real response from HAL rather than a pro forma response. I just read the response from Cunard when the QM2 received a score of 84. It was also an "aberration" and managers and staff will be retrained, etc.

HAL, we expect more from you than that kind of response. We are not fools and spend good money to take cruises. Don't treat us as such or you will lose your best customers.

Why did it take so long to respond? Do you think we will just go away and let it die with that kind of a response? You only responded now because it went viral.

And as Salacia said, "it's too little too late".

Terrri

I don't think they responded to CC........they responded to the article in USA today and fired off a response as soon as possible in as many places as possible. Why else would you see it show up on the day of the article, but not for the 260+ comments on CC? It's just another place to CYA.................:(

Definately no hiding now....just saw this on CNN Headline News. Uh oh, problems. I wanted to add that I was on the Statendam in April and found the ship to be in bad need of repair and freshining. Carpets were coming apart at the seams and could cause a tripping problem. Really needs help.

It is really all over the news now. CNNat the airport this morning had a story about it. Maybe it will cause management to take a look at the opps. of this ship and address issues with other of their ships. This I only hope will be good for Holland America and they will turn this into a positive. However, until I see changes reported on this board, I will not book a cruise with HAL.

I'm surprised at the venom some posters are continuing with on this thread. I'm the last person that would be called at HAL cheerleader but I think there is a choice to be made. If you are that put off by HAL then vote with your feet. I know I have in the past and found that I really do enjoy Princess as well. I've also tried Celebrity and I'm not impressed. If I was upset as some on this thread I certainly wouldn't be putting another dime into the HAL coffers. I just want to mention that I sailed on the Veendam on April 22/12 so it's not like I can't understand.

We were on the Veendam sailing the week after she failed the CDC inspection (we didn't know at the time, not that we would have had any recourse).

Overall we did enjoy our cruise but that is only because we made the best of some crappy circumstances.. We are sooo disappointed with HAL and are most likely done with them. We spent over 3K just to set foot on the ship and spent the week either too warm for comfort or in a full out lather, damp bedding because the cabin was so humid, etc..

I will give one example of an unsanitary practice we observed on the Veendam.

The Lido buffet has two drink stations (as most ships do). One station was shut down the entire week, broken, we assumed.

The other was manned by ONE crew member who was STINGILY doling out ice from a large plastic tub. Not unsanitary, just time consuming and annoying.

BUT, there were several times throughout the week that the giant tub of ice was left unmanned, with the plastic scoop just sitting on top of the ice, for people to get themselves. I can only imagine how many hands inadvertently touched that ice/wet scoop (dripping down into the ice, etc..)... BLECHHHH!

Read thru some of the reports....

Site: Recreational Water Facilities-Fecal/Vomit Accident Log Violation: The records for the fecal accident on 27 December 2011 did not indicate whether the stool was loose or formed.

:eek::eek:

Spicy turkey burritos now off the menu. :p

Maybe now with all that has been said (here and on the news and in print) HAL will sit up and take notice. Once the TA's stop booking they will see that this must be corrected. To answer the question does HAL read CC? All you need to do is read the PR quote! I think our voice has been heard.

pretty sure you will notice that the Prinsendam got a very HIGH mark at their last inspection:D:D Most HAL ships do - this is a very big anomoly Ruth Ann:eek: (sorry for the thread drift)

I am surprized the Veendam got a low score...we sailed on it twice, a 30 Day and a 10 day, and thought higly of the food, cleanliness, and crew morale. Then on the Prinsendam Oct-Nov 2011 we were flabergasted at the poor state of cleanliness in the Lido, the sub-standard serving line equipment, and the overall poor presentation of the Lido food products. After 7 different HAL ships we have cruised on, the Prinsendam was hands-down far inferior to other ships in the Holland Fleet. This was our first time on the Prinsendam, and although the Pricendam does have nice cabins, the public areas were far less than we had anticipated, especially since the ship is touted as the "flagship" of HAL Lines. If any ship actually

warrants a low score in the food service area, it is the Prinsedam, not the Veendam. Veendam may have been found lacking once, but the Prinsedam will really disappoint you in the Lido area.

Yup--headlines on newsprint and tv and then the correction report magically appears. Timing IS everything..............geesh HAL. You are NOT making me feel better if it takes such huge portions of humble pie to get you to come to the table!

Terrific responses have been posted to the HAL PR post. I just rechecked the VSP site, there is still no corrective action report filed and the listed score remains 77, a failing grade.

:confused: What is the HAL PR post and where is it?

Could you post a link?

Thanks.

(I don't know what it is or how to find it.)

I am surprized the Veendam got a low score...we sailed on it twice, a 30 Day and a 10 day, and thought higly of the food, cleanliness, and crew morale. Then on the Prinsendam Oct-Nov 2011 we were flabergasted at the poor state of cleanliness in the Lido, the sub-standard serving line equipment, and the overall poor presentation of the Lido food products. After 7 different HAL ships we have cruised on, the Prinsendam was hands-down far inferior to other ships in the Holland Fleet. This was our first time on the Prinsendam, and although the Pricendam does have nice cabins, the public areas were far less than we had anticipated, especially since the ship is touted as the "flagship" of HAL Lines. If any ship actually

warrants a low score in the food service area, it is the Prinsedam, not the Veendam. Veendam may have been found lacking once, but the Prinsedam will really disappoint you in the Lido area.

Wow - how can two cruises just a few days apart be so different? I'm not a Lido fan, but I was very impressed with the Prinsendam's Lido as was dh.:) The public rooms are smaller of course - it's a smaller ship. We enjoyed them - perhaps I was prepared for the worst fearing it was a small ship? not sure. But the food was very good when we were onboard including the Lido. I found the choices wonderful in the buffet. Hopefully it will be the same when we are onboard next time;)

Yup--headlines on newsprint and tv and then the correction report magically appears. Timing IS everything..............geesh HAL. You are NOT making me feel better if it takes such huge portions of humble pie to get you to come to the table!

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps it takes awhile to write, have reviewed and submit the corrective action report to CDC; then they have to review and respond then the report must be posted on the website. This the Government, nothing happens quickly ;)

Archived