Which ships can sail under the Harbour Bridge?

We are cruising on the Oosterdam for Christmas and have just discovered that our cruise finishes at Barangaroo, Darling Harbour.

I thought the Oosterdam was too high to sail under the harbour bridge, so which ships can sail under the bridge?

Edited by Australian family

We are cruising on the Oosterdam for Christmas and have just discovered that our cruise finishes at Barangaroo, Darling Harbour.

I thought the Oosterdam was too high to sail under the harbour bridge, so which ships can sail under the bridge?

The Ship Clearance of Sydney Harbour Bridge is 49 Metres.

Could not find any Air Draught (height between highest point of ship and Summer Water Line) figures for Oosterdam except her draught of 7.9m, however, she is a sistership to Zuiderdam which has a draught of 7.8m and height from the keel of 57.83m giving an approx air height (draught) of 50m. Assuming that Oosterdam is similar (both being Vista class ships) then she would be 1m too tall for the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Maybe Baz might have the answer?

Sydney Ports have her going to wharf 5 and White Bay so she must fit under the Harbour Bridge

Now heres a thought...

When we sailed on QM2 we were told Glebe Island.

Thats where we checked in and were then taken to the ship at Garden Island.

Perhaps , passengers will be checking in at Wharf 5,or Whites Bay and then be taken to the ship moored in the harbour somewhere?

We sailed under SHB on Regal Princess (now Pacific Dawn) so Pacific Dawn can ! Also sailed under on Sun Princess and Pacific Princess. However last cruise, Arcadia - Vista Class ship, we did not have to go under the bridge, we had 'pole position' Overseas Passenger Terminal.

finetuneit Yeah, I'd say she'll dock at Garden Island or drop anchor and tender passengers to Wharf 5 Barangaroo. That's what happened when my parents sailed on QM2 and it said docking at Wharf 5.

Today 12:15 PM

Time will tell....

but from memory one of the Celebrity ships was listed as Barangaroo one year , and all the passengers were ferried to the ship , which was tied up at Athol Buoy.

I have just spoken to Holland America and they were very helpful and told me that the Oosterdam would only possibly get under the bridge in low tide.

The consultant actually rang me back and said that the allocation of berths is upto the Port Authority, and that it can even change on the day when the pilot boards the ship.

He informed me that the ship would probably berth at the OPT or possibly Garden Island (which clarification is still been sort about which ships will berth there).

He said there is extra ships arriving in Sydney this year. Which is obviously causing a lot of juggling by the Port Authority.

I think it is BS about it fitting under the bridge. The reason being is that I know for certain that Orinana has a height from waterline to funnel tip of 54.84m and 49.98m to top of foremast which makes it too tall to fit under the harbour bridge. The Oosterdam is taller than Oriana. To begin with the Oosterdam has one extra passenger deck above Oriana. It certainly does not have a short funnel and mast and my guess is that the Oosterdam is taller than Oriana a ship that we know for certain is too tall to fit under the bridge at 54.84m.

The Ship Clearance of Sydney Harbour Bridge is 49 Metres.

Could not find any Air Draught (height between highest point of ship and Summer Water Line) figures for Oosterdam except her draught of 7.9m, however, she is a sistership to Zuiderdam which has a draught of 7.8m and height from the keel of 57.83m giving an approx air height (draught) of 50m. Assuming that Oosterdam is similar (both being Vista class ships) then she would be 1m too tall for the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Maybe Baz might have the answer?

Even with these figures it make it highly unlikely it will fit under the bridge. The ship will enter Sydney harbour in need of fuel and water and is likely to be high in the water. It is not coming in fully laden with tanks to the brim and weighed down. With the bridge clearance of 49m it certainly will not fit under.

The Sydney Ports website does not list any ship berthing at the OPT on January 2nd, so hopefully the Oosterdam will berth there.

Disembarking by tender would be a hassle.

the Crystal Symphony is at OPT from the 1st january until the 2nd january

I have just spoken to Holland America and they were very helpful and told me that the Oosterdam would only possibly get under the bridge in low tide.

The consultant actually rang me back and said that the allocation of berths is upto the Port Authority, and that it can even change on the day when the pilot boards the ship.

He informed me that the ship would probably berth at the OPT or possibly Garden Island (which clarification is still been sort about which ships will berth there).

He said there is extra ships arriving in Sydney this year. Which is obviously causing a lot of juggling by the Port Authority.

Thank you for posting this information.

Where is Garden Island in relation to the OPT?

Our E docs for 7 November Oosterdam Cruise are now available. This is a copy and paste.

PIER INFORMATION

Overseas Passenger Terminal

ms Volendam sailing 2012: Oct 21

ms Oosterdam sailing 2012: Oct 24, Nov 7 & 21, Dec 5 & 19

ms Oosterdam sailing 2013: Jan 12 & 26, Mar 3, Apr 13

Wharf 5 – Barangaroo

ms Amsterdam sailing 2012: Nov 11

ms Amsterdam sailing 2013: Feb 15

ms Volendam sailing 2012: Nov 24

ms Oosterdam sailing 2013: Jan 2, Feb 6

White Bay Terminal

ms Oosterdam sailing 2013: Mar 16, Nov 23 & 24, Dec 22

ms Volendam sailing 2013: Oct 20 & Nov 23

Doesn't help with disembarkation information.

We sailed under the bridge a few years back on the Superstar Leo (Star Cruises). I remember the captain saying we had a half hr corridor to get under/through, and the clearance was approx 1m.....I swear it looked like the funnel was scraping....so exciting with everyone onboard going "Whoa" at the same time. In the middle, they blasted the horn, smoke and all, and we all had a huge laugh re the cars above. Oh, that was a great cruise, great ship!

We sailed under the bridge a few years back on the Superstar Leo (Star Cruises). I remember the captain saying we had a half hr corridor to get under/through, and the clearance was approx 1m.....I swear it looked like the funnel was scraping....so exciting with everyone onboard going "Whoa" at the same time. In the middle, they blasted the horn, smoke and all, and we all had a huge laugh re the cars above. Oh, that was a great cruise, great ship!

How big a ship is the Superstar Leo.

Imagine what it would have been like if you were climbing the bridge when it went under and the smoke.

Imagine what it would have been like if you were climbing the bridge when it went under and the smoke.

Leanne, I think it is called the Norwegian Spirit now. It is 76800gt, approx 2000 passengers with capability of 2800 passengers, 879ft long, 14 decks....and the layout/fittings etc are stunning. I can send you a copy of our dvd if you want, just email me. The dining was via choice of numerous restaurants ie chinese, japanese, steakhouse, french, normal formal, buffet etc. Best shows I have seen yet on the seas. The list goes on.....

Jen

Its a similar size to the Sun class operated by Princess. Exactly the same number of decks out of the water. The funnel height would have to be short like the Sun class.