In 5 weeks I will be cruising through the Mediterranean (Rome/Civitavecchia, Messina Sicily, Kudasai/Ephesus, Piraeus/Athens, Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos, Naples), and was wondring if someone could please share locations of FREE WI-FI?

Also, I plan to dowload Viber & Skype. Does anyone have any reccommended apps for iPhone/iPad while cruising abroad? We would much rather spend our money on sights in these countries than in fees for data usage if at all possible, but we realize there are times where we will need to contact others.

Lastly, what are your experiences with Wi-Fi in Italy? Do we need a password? How is this obtained?

Any web resources that I can use so that I can plan out where and when I can access free wi-fi?

• 2 weeks later...
In 5 weeks I will be cruising through the Mediterranean (Rome/Civitavecchia, Messina Sicily, Kudasai/Ephesus, Piraeus/Athens, Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos, Naples), and was wondring if someone could please share locations of FREE WI-FI?

Also, I plan to dowload Viber & Skype. Does anyone have any reccommended apps for iPhone/iPad while cruising abroad? We would much rather spend our money on sights in these countries than in fees for data usage if at all possible, but we realize there are times where we will need to contact others.

Lastly, what are your experiences with Wi-Fi in Italy? Do we need a password? How is this obtained?

Any web resources that I can use so that I can plan out where and when I can access free wi-fi?

Try WEFI dot com-they list free wifi locations as well as apps for your Iphone or Android.

Otherwise McDonald's or Starbucks, or as mentioned above, the crew always no where the free or cheap wifi connections are

• 9 months later...

I am just about to go on my 3rd cruise. One thing puzzled me, especially last year is the charge for WiFi and given the charge how expensive it is. I would have thought if hotels and cafes do it it would be a given that it was inclusive on a cruise ship assuming it was installed (which it clearly is). The cruise line I was on charged multiple 10s of pounds per hour. Are there special reasons why they must charge or is it blatant profiteering?

. Are there special reasons why they must charge or is it blatant profiteering?

Two reasons -

a) Because they can;

b) Because it costs them more.

The first reason is the more significant one. As long as people feel that they need to be in constant contact w everyone (what did they do before the internet?), the cruise companies will charge a lot for the service.

DON

Archived