Walkie Talkies

Best bet is higher powered GMRS UHF units (Cobra CXR825, Midland GXT1000VP4 etc.).

Even at 5W (the maximum any of these radios will do), UHF going through several bulkheads on ship will seriously degrade any signal from one radio to the other. Your best bet is to just make up a schedule or have an idea where your friends/family will be during the day. I'd hate to see someone waste 90$ on "SUPER AWESOME HIGH POWERED UHF" that is just going to disappoint them on ship, when that money could be going to more important things. Like drinks.

There was one couple that had their walkie talkies on at dinner and I was about to strangle them. Im not one to be bothered by small things because hey, this is your vacation too, but to have "beep, static, 'um...hey ajfbtjsksjftldbdjskfnfbfj', static, 'brisisgrbtlsoa', static, beep" over and over again while eatting dinner is insanely annoying. They turned them off te second night thankfully

I'm also curious about this. Our RC rep actually suggested that we bring them. He brings them to keep in touch with his 3 kids. He also told me where he got the best deal, AND asked me the next time I talked to him if I had gotten them yet.

We have a child with Type 1 diabetes who we may or may not leave in Adventure Ocean for a little bit during the evening. He recommended we bring them and give one to the people working in there, just in case they needed to get in touch with us.

I'm also curious about this. Our RC rep actually suggested that we bring them. He brings them to keep in touch with his 3 kids. He also told me where he got the best deal, AND asked me the next time I talked to him if I had gotten them yet.

We have a child with Type 1 diabetes who we may or may not leave in Adventure Ocean for a little bit during the evening. He recommended we bring them and give one to the people working in there, just in case they needed to get in touch with us.

Your RC rep is woefully misinformed. UHF radios are meant for 'line of sight' communications (The "30 mile" idea is based on one radio at the top of a mountain and the other down in a valley with a clear line of sight from one to the other). Transmissions on these frequencies are hindered by just about anything in their path, and the numerous number of bulkheads in the ship that your transmission will have to go through will seriously degrade the signal.

Aside from practicality, are you going to expect an AO staff member to take care of your child AND keep up with your walkie talkie? Imagine if multiple parents went with this same advice and now they have a number of radios to try to keep associated with each child and deal with the incessant bleeps and static likely to be emanating from each radio. If AO needs to get in touch with you, they can have you paged on ship. No need for the walkie talkie.

Aside from practicality, are you going to expect an AO staff member to take care of your child AND keep up with your walkie talkie?

Yep. If there is an emergency with my child, I personally could care less if someone is bothered by beeping....and there's the momma bear!

Yep. If there is an emergency with my child, I personally could care less if someone is bothered by beeping....and there's the momma bear!

And again, if there's an emergency with your child, the ship has a PA system that AO can get an alert out to you quicker than trying to call you on a walkie talkie that you may or may not be in range to receive the message. I believe momma bear will be more upset if there's an emergency with your child and you didn't find out until much later because AO was trying to call you on the walkie talkie for ten minutes before finally paging you over the PA.

I get about 4 phone calls from his school every day. He's there for 6 hours. He's high. He's low. Someone brought cupcakes.

I'm seriously curious about why someone would be offended or disturbed by me having a walkie talkie. Maybe it would be better if I didn't let him go the kids area so I don't disturb anyone with my beeping?

If he feels low and needs to be checked, would you like the ship to page me?

If he feels low and the AO staff can't contact you on the walkie talkie, wouldn't you want the ship to page you?

The reality is that these cheap walkie talkies are not magical devices that will work 100% of the time, or in my experience, even 50% of the time on cruise ships. Even buying the more expensive models don't help because no amount of money will cause them to violate the rules of RF and attenuation. Being on the Monarch may provide you some respite because of the smaller size of the ship, just don't be surprised if it doesn't work out like you think it will. Keep your ear open for the PA.

I get about 4 phone calls from his school every day. He's there for 6 hours. He's high. He's low. Someone brought cupcakes.

I'm seriously curious about why someone would be offended or disturbed by me having a walkie talkie. Maybe it would be better if I didn't let him go the kids area so I don't disturb anyone with my beeping?

I think you have a somewhat unique situation and having a way to reach out or be reached should a situation arrise shouldn't bother anyone - at least it wouldn't bother me. I think many complaints - at least with me - would be as described with kids running around "chirping" the walkie talkie simply as a talking device or some other form of use that is not necessary or disturbing to passengers. In my particular response I was more commenting on the "hide and seek" post as well as uses other than to check in to locate someone or - as in your case - more of a "lifeline" so to speak for your reassurance. Again, your case is not the typical use that most people are referreing to, IMO.

Best bet is higher powered GMRS UHF units (Cobra CXR825, Midland GXT1000VP4 etc.). And for all those pretentious requests for you to reconsider, give me a break. This a CRUISE SHIP after all - 3000 people packed together like cattle and eating like it too (and I love cruising, been on 15 and going again in December). Anyone who thinks they paid for the peace, quiet and exclusivity of a week at an expensive secluded resort is tripping. What's next, no bikini's or drunk people or loud music at the pool, cause it may offend some? People need to lighten up and go with the flow. Buy your walkie talkies and enjoy your cruise.

PS - My suite on my Bermuda cruise this May came with its own cell phone......which would OH MY GOD wait for it.....ring in public!!!! Armageddon, I know. So just think, the cruise line thinks communicating electronically with others in your group to be a privilege worth charging extra for, not a nuisance to others

We use our GMRS UHF UNITS,They work fair on board.But great when you go off the ship. MRS Caribbean Sailor does her shoping i walk around and relax.We stay in touch and i get out of the shopping.I Never cruise without them,we always keep the conversations short. :) :D

My only comment to you would be that you do not get a false sense of security by having the radios. Have a back up plan for being reached as it will most likely be needed.

If he feels low and the AO staff can't contact you on the walkie talkie, wouldn't you want the ship to page you?

The reality is that these cheap walkie talkies are not magical devices that will work 100% of the time, or in my experience, even 50% of the time on cruise ships. Even buying the more expensive models don't help because no amount of money will cause them to violate the rules of RF and attenuation. Being on the Monarch may provide you some respite because of the smaller size of the ship, just don't be surprised if it doesn't work out like you think it will. Keep your ear open for the PA.

Mine worked at least 90% of the time on Freedom. They cost about $30 each. I would think with a decent walkie talkie you should be close to 100% on Monarch.

We use our GMRS UHF UNITS,They work fair on board.But great when you go off the ship. MRS Caribbean Sailor does her shoping i walk around and relax.We stay in touch and i get out of the shopping.I Never cruise without them,we always keep the conversations short. :) :D

They're fantastic off ship, and even up on deck where you've got far less things in the way of the signal, just when folks are separated within the ship is where it gets dicey, and folks should have a backup so they aren't just looking like a crazy person talking louder and louder into a radio :D

My only comment to you would be that you do not get a false sense of security by having the radios. Have a back up plan for being reached as it will most likely be needed.

Exactly. Have a contingency in place. Or maybe take some time with your family and test the range so you know about how far away you can be before you're out of range from AO, and keep that in mind when your child is with them!

Mine worked at least 90% of the time on Freedom. They cost about $30 each. I would think with a decent walkie talkie you should be close to 100% on Monarch.

I can just about guarantee you've been relatively close to one another when you've keyed up. It's just a fact that a measly 5 watts UHF is going to have trouble propagating through more than a couple of bulkheads, of which there are many on these ships. People simply shouldn't get the impression that it's going to work flawlessly and rely on them. Off ship and even up on deck, they'll work good to great. But separated within the ship, you've got a good likelihood of missed/garbled calls. Have a backup plan.

Of course! I would hope that they would. I also hope to avoid having to interrupt the whole entire ship just for my situation....and of course, I hope to not have any kind of situation at all! I hope I never have to hear from them. In reality, my husband and I rarely ever leave our kids with anyone anyway - so if we do leave them in there, I can't imagine us being gone very long!

They're fantastic off ship, and even up on deck where you've got far less things in the way of the signal, just when folks are separated within the ship is where it gets dicey, and folks should have a backup so they aren't just looking like a crazy person talking louder and louder into a radio :D

Hope that off the ship you are only using GMRS radios in US ports and territories. Generally they are not approved for use in other countries.

Have you contacted the cruise line to find out if they will accept him under these conditions? They are not like his teacher who has experience with his condition.

Bob

We use UK non licensed radios on board and generally find them excellent. They are multi channel units with around 80 channels and sub channels within those, so no problem with overheard conversations even on the Freedom class ships.

The best bit? They have a vibration alert facility so no annoying squawking.

A bit of training for the youngsters in volume control and away you go.

Henry :)

Has anyone used two way radios on a cruise? If so are there any problems you run into? Any tips? Last cruise we were on we found we needed walkie talkies since we're not in our cabins to get messages. Did you find interferences with other walkie talkies people?

Had a blast on the Freedom ots western Caribbean. 7 of us now we re thinking Alaska which maybe 9 or more. I love going with a bunch of people. Someone is doing something fun.

Brenda

Arizona :D:D

Yes, we either bring a set and we are always considerate which you must be because they aren't as clear as a cell and people do abuse them. We find it an asset b/c my daughter sleeps in and she can locate us when she wakes up. Or if at port and we do seperate things returning seperate times, we can locate each other. If we are sailing with other family members we just use them in similar cases. We don't use them just to say, "hey""""". You'll find that multiple people use them and often you'll have to change channels to find one not in use.

What I find some people REALLY abuse is going to the online center and skyping as loud as can be.

I can just about guarantee you've been relatively close to one another when you've keyed up. It's just a fact that a measly 5 watts UHF is going to have trouble propagating through more than a couple of bulkheads, of which there are many on these ships. People simply shouldn't get the impression that it's going to work flawlessly and rely on them. Off ship and even up on deck, they'll work good to great. But separated within the ship, you've got a good likelihood of missed/garbled calls. Have a backup plan.

I can guarantee you are wrong and what I said is fact based on actually using them. Cobra microtalk. They even come with lithium rechargeable batteries.

I was on Monarch OTS last week and I used Skype everyday to to talk to my family.. I have never had any problem using Skype on either my iPhone or iPad on any Royal Caribbean ship.

Kathleen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We use UK non licensed radios on board and generally find them excellent. They are multi channel units with around 80 channels and sub channels within those, so no problem with overheard conversations even on the Freedom class ships.

The best bit? They have a vibration alert facility so no annoying squawking.

A bit of training for the youngsters in volume control and away you go.

Henry :)

Able, I'm curious. I assume you had to program these yourself. If so, what frequencies were you using. I'm thinking of buying a couple of those Chinese radios you see on Ebay for use on my next cruise, though I'm not sure what frequencies I'd program them to. Anyway to do private messages on this board?

Archived