Please Sell Me On Anytime Dining......

SNJCruisers

Have had late dining for the majority of my previous cruises and my GF drops hints now and then that she wants to possibly try ATD. I like the consistency of having the same waiter and assistant waiter and having the same table mates for dinner. I feel that ATD would be like open seating in the MDR is for breakfast and lunch, it's OK, but not the same service that you get at night when they know after the first night that you like iced tea instead of water in your large glass.

So, veterans of ATD, please convince this cruise veteran why we should switch in January on our upcoming cruise on the Breeze. Thanks.

My BF and I tried YTD last week on the Splendor. I was a little annoyed because I had early dining but when we saw our sign & sail cards, it said YTD. We decided to give it a shot because it's easier to get a private table for 2 that way. We went to dinner every night at 5:45, requested the same table by the window with the same waiter. If we didn't get the window we still got a table for 2 with the same waiter. We happened to LOVE the people that served us so YTD didn't seem any different than early dining. Even though we did go at 5:45 every night, we had the flexibility of going later if we wished. In regards to the iced tea situation, there was a couple who requested iced tea the first day and they had a pitcher waiting for them every night. Our waiter was probably the most popular because we were surrounded by familiar faces the whole cruise. To be honest, I don't know what we'll do next time. I really liked both options and would recommend them to others. I think it's worth trying out to see if you like it or not. You're never going to really know unless you try it yourself. Have a great time!

My BF and I tried YTD last week on the Splendor. I was a little annoyed because I had early dining but when we saw our sign & sail cards, it said YTD. We decided to give it a shot because it's easier to get a private table for 2 that way. We went to dinner every night at 5:45, requested the same table by the window with the same waiter. If we didn't get the window we still got a table for 2 with the same waiter. We happened to LOVE the people that served us so YTD didn't seem any different than early dining. Even though we did go at 5:45 every night, we had the flexibility of going later if we wished. In regards to the iced tea situation, there was a couple who requested iced tea the first day and they had a pitcher waiting for them every night. Our waiter was probably the most popular because we were surrounded by familiar faces the whole cruise. To be honest, I don't know what we'll do next time. I really liked both options and would recommend them to others. I think it's worth trying out to see if you like it or not. You're never going to really know unless you try it yourself. Have a great time!

What was your waiter's name? I'll be on the splendor in Nov and I'd like to request him.

We love YTD! Always have gotten a booth for the 4 of us. We have requested the same waiter each night and got it, even when we went at different times of the night. Love the fact that we don't have to go at a set time and can go whenever we are hungry.

We will not book a cruise unless we are guaranteed to have Your Time Dining! We love it!

You can get a table for 2 OR if you meet folks on the cruise you like you can arrange to meet them at dinner(if they also have YTD) and eat with them.

You can request the same wait staff each night if you like them and IF you don't like them then just tell the maitre d your probs and you'll be seated somewhere else!

It seems that the folks who do not like YTD have had trouble with wait staff BUT they never mention it to anyone and it never gets resolved. We have learned that suffering in silence is not fun and complaining here on Cruise Critic does not help to fix issues.

you should try it to see if anytime is for you.

We have tried it 3 times.. and for the reasons you mentioned is why it is not for us.

On our last cruise-- i was amazed at the number of people who booked any time dining but were standing at the door before it opened at 5:45. If you want to eat that early why no book traditional.

The dining room was full before 6:45-- so if you went about 6:30 you would have to wait til one of those tables turned over.

I like the waiter to get to know our likes and dislikes-- it ws nice having our drinks sitting at the table as soon as we sat down.

Getting the same waiter is easier if you go at exactly 5:45 (which defeats the purpose of anytime) but we were a little late getting to the dining room by 5 minutes and we lost the table to another party.

my hubby and i did it to get a private table for 2 next to the window (silly me, it was always pitch dark so i couldn't see anything). we only had to wait one time and had the same servers with the exception of 1 or 2 days. service was still excellent. i don't think i want to go back to the "group table" thing now.

We love YTD!! You don't have to rush back for dinner, you're not stuck with tablemates (who hasnt had the annoying guy at their table), you're not stuck with a wait staff (find one you like and request them every night).

By requesting the same waiter and going with the same people you get the benefits of traditional dining with the flexibility go when you want.

Wouldn't want anything else

We did the YTD on the Legend 28 days ago now and we did not have one issue with it.

We loved it.

We did not have the same waiter every night, though I am sure we could have asked for one if we preferred. We did not have any wait time, that could have just been because of the time of year we went and the time we went, which usually was between 6/7 PM. If we did have to wait I am sure we would have not minded, we were having a good time and it didn't much matter. We were enjoying the cruise.

Despite what I had read about the YTD and the food in general on the Legend, we had no issues with service because we were dining at a table for 2. Our food was always hot and prompt. Some folks have mentioned you get better service if you have more at a table but we did not have this issue.

All in all it was a great way to go, for us anyway. We had time to see the shows and we were always treated great no matter what waiter we received that night.

I would try it at least once. Enjoy.

Sell you? How about the FLEXIBILITY of going to dinner when you are hungry, and when you are ready, without having to keep a dining schedule while you are on vacation??? With the same food & outstanding service as with traditional dining (actually better in our experiences)? If you want the same server every night, you can do that, too (we don't really care, always had great service).

We will never go back to Traditional dining... it's YTD for us from now on. We LOVE it!

Have used it the last two cruises and love it. Always seated within a few minutes, ask for the same waiter if we like him/her, don't have to adjust your port activities around a set dinner time, never a hitch, ever.:)

Just my experience, however, remember one man's opinion does not make a survey.:D

So, veterans of ATD, please convince this cruise veteran why we should switch in January on our upcoming cruise on the Breeze. Thanks.

I did it 2x and it was good both times. We eat early so we got fast service. We liked the wait team and table (window table) and ate there every night. The wait team knew all our names and was like regular seating but knowing we could go whenever we wanted and request the same table and staff.

We have decided to give YTD a try on our next cruise. Always before, we've chosen early seating. There have been times when were tired after coming back from an excursion and would have preferred to skip the MDR and either order room service or get something from the buffet. But, out of courtesy to our tablemates, we would go to the MDR anyhow. By choosing YTD, we won't have to worry about not showing up in the MDR if we don't want to. And even if we do have a bit of a wait for a table, it's no different than going to a restaurant here (without a reservation) and waiting to be seated. Personally, I like the idea of having the flexibility to go to dinner when we want to, rather than at a set time.

Three of us did YTD on the Destiny in May and LOVED IT!!! We had the same server each night and the same table all but one night - that night we were only one table over. We had the same neighbors twice as well. We only waited about 5 minutes one night, the rest of the time we were able to go right in. Two of us will be doing YTD in November as well.

We started YTD about two years ago (Xmas 2010) on Freedom. We had to wait 40+ minutes on the 1st formal night. People in line started claiming they would never use YTD, never sail Carnival, or never cruise again. But, there was no problem at all after that night and no problem at all in next 4 Carnival cruises.

About 50% of the time, they asked us if we wanted to use the same waiter when we entered the MDR. So having the same waiter is not a problem. We always use the table for 4, so no comment on tablemates. But on some ships, the so called table of 2 is a joke. They just separated two tables by 1 inch apart (I am not exaggerating) and called it "table of 2"? One time even the ship photographer was confused and asked a gentleman taking a picture with the girl sitting on the next "private" table.

Sell you? How about the FLEXIBILITY of going to dinner when you are hungry, and when you are ready, without having to keep a dining schedule while you are on vacation??? With the same food & outstanding service as with traditional dining (actually better in our experiences)? If you want the same server every night, you can do that, too (we don't really care, always had great service).

We will never go back to Traditional dining... it's YTD for us from now on. We LOVE it!

Quite the sales person u are i just went in and changed it :)

Loved the flexibility of being able to eat at any time during meal service and never feel rushed to be ready at a particular time or have to leave somewhere we were having a good time at simply because it was our 'dinner time'.

Two cruises - one just as a couple and one with a group and have yet to have to wait any length of time that is worth noting.

Generally had the same waiters without even asking - and even if we did not, still had teriffic service.

And the nice thing was that with just two of us - we always got a table for two and we were close enough to the next table where we could sit and visit if we wanted to - and far enough away that we could pay attention to just each other without feeling like we were ignoring any one.

I have never done designated seating - but can't imagine that I ever will either.

Just wanted to say thank you for everyone that has responded with your feedback regarding YTD. I put in the request with my TA and he has confirmed us on our January Breeze cruise for YTD. The cruise will be many firsts for us.....first time on the Breeze, first time for YTD and first time for "My Awesome Bar Program".

Have had late dining for the majority of my previous cruises and my GF drops hints now and then that she wants to possibly try ATD. I like the consistency of having the same waiter and assistant waiter and having the same table mates for dinner. I feel that ATD would be like open seating in the MDR is for breakfast and lunch, it's OK, but not the same service that you get at night when they know after the first night that you like iced tea instead of water in your large glass.

Given the number of responses here, I'm sure you've been floored with opinions. My DW and I are in a similar sitch as you and your GF. She likes the steady service and knowing where your table is every night but early dining is too early and late dining is sometimes too late. I'm open for more roaming when its just the 2 of us. I'm sure someone has probably mentioned you can request the same servers tables with ATD. But that assumes you find one you like, which may take a day or two. If you want to meet others or with a large group then the seated dining is a good way to go. For a twosome, ATD works every well.

On the Breeze, we're on the 8 day and believe it or not with all the dining options and the port times, we're only lookiing at three seatings in the MDR--2 elegant nights and last night (DW loves the Grand Marnier souffle on the last night) and we may pass on one of the elegant nights. So if you're on the 8 day, keep that in mind.

We love anytime dining and choose it everytime we can. We have had no trouble getting a table for two and in the same section night after night.

We choose it mostly because I dont want to be tied down to the MDR time / schedule on my vacation. If I want to take a nap or not rush backk from port and go to eat later I can. If I want to go early and extend my nighttime fun I can. I just like the option to do what I want, when I want it and not be held to a schedule around dinner.

Archived