If you have booked flights with Princess EzAir - Check them!

Recently we booked a cruise sailing from Bangkok and were pleased to see that Princess Australia now have access to the Princess EzAir flight booking facility (which has been available to USA cruisers for a number of years).

This allowed us to book our flights without any payment until the final cruise payment was due.

At that date we made our full payment (including cost of the flights) and shortly afterwards we were able to fully access our flight details on the airline's website.

I then preselected our economy seats and paid the additional charges to the airline.

Last Saturday I decided to check whether any more suitable seats had become available - logged in to the Airline web-site and received the following message:

"We are unable to find this confirmation number. Please validate your entry and try again or contact us for further information. (8104)"

I then contacted the airline who advised Princess had cancelled the booking!

After spending approx one hour on the phone to Princess on Saturday I was advised the staff member who handled the flights was unavailable (it was the weekend) but she would look into it and contact us on Monday.

As Monday was a public holiday we waited till late on Tuesday before contacting Princess - to find the operator knew nothing about our Saturday call as no record had been left of our enquiries!

After approx another hour of "please hold while I investigate" etc, etc, we were advised that it would be checked in the USA and we would be contacted in 24 to 48 hours.

My concern is that if I had not checked we might have turned up at the airport without a booking.

So I recommend anyone who has booked flights via Princess to double-check the booking.

Don

Recently we booked a cruise sailing from Bangkok and were pleased to see that Princess Australia now have access to the Princess EzAir flight booking facility (which has been available to USA cruisers for a number of years).

This allowed us to book our flights without any payment until the final cruise payment was due.

At that date we made our full payment (including cost of the flights) and shortly afterwards we were able to fully access our flight details on the airline's website.

I then preselected our economy seats and paid the additional charges to the airline.

Last Saturday I decided to check whether any more suitable seats had become available - logged in to the Airline web-site and received the following message:

"We are unable to find this confirmation number. Please validate your entry and try again or contact us for further information. (8104)"

I then contacted the airline who advised Princess had cancelled the booking!

After spending approx one hour on the phone to Princess on Saturday I was advised the staff member who handled the flights was unavailable (it was the weekend) but she would look into it and contact us on Monday.

As Monday was a public holiday we waited till late on Tuesday before contacting Princess - to find the operator knew nothing about our Saturday call as no record had been left of our enquiries!

After approx another hour of "please hold while I investigate" etc, etc, we were advised that it would be checked in the USA and we would be contacted in 24 to 48 hours.

My concern is that if I had not checked we might have turned up at the airport without a booking.

So I recommend anyone who has booked flights via Princess to double-check the booking.

Don

I know I would have had a few sleepless nights over this Don. Glad it was sorted out.

Also when you book a hotel room (through say the expedia website), the hotel reception may not have any knowledge of it. Does anyone know why this is so?

Don, I hope everything is sorted by now, and your air booking is back online. Great timing btw....long weekend and all!! Thanks for the heads up.

Re the hotel bookings on other sites.....are they usually honoured, or is there a chance this booking may also disappear? How do you check on that, other than make an overseas phone call?

Jen

Three golden rules:

Don't take Princess Air

Don't take Princess Hotels

Don't take Princess Transfers

All way overpriced, surf the net yourself, as others have suggested.

I am my own travel agent.

Three golden rules:

Don't take Princess Air

All way overpriced, surf the net yourself, as others have suggested.

I am my own travel agent.

Les,

Why didn't you tell me before I booked!

To be serious, I actively researched alternative airfares (as I always do cruises and prices) and seriously considered Scoot's Business class which was $200 cheaper.

I also looked at Jetstar, China ... etc and used a variety of apps to keep me up-to-date with price changes.

However, we finally decided to go the Princess way because:

(a) We didn't have to pay anything for the flight until final cruise payment,

(b) We are flying on an A330 which is configured 2-4-2 - which allows us to have 2 seats by the window on our own (Emirates was $100 cheaper but arrives after midnight, and has the awful 777/300ER configuration of 3-4-3,

© We are on a non-stop flight, and

(d) We didn't really want to go through the whole process of separate prices for everything - food, checked luggage, entertainment etc.

Scoot missed out because of © above and you have to spend a day in Singapore as there is no same-day connection up to Bangkok.

However, I doubt if I will use EziAir again.

Don

(b) We are flying on an A330 which is configured 2-4-2 - which allows us to have 2 seats by the window on our own (Emirates was $100 cheaper but arrives after midnight, and has the awful 777/300ER configuration of 3-4-3,

(d) We didn't really want to go through the whole process of separate prices for everything - food, checked luggage, entertainment etc.

And there's another plus which is, if anything happens to the cruise causing it to be changed or cancelled, Princess will cover and/or refund you as appropriate.

It's just like another form of insurance in that respect that it may cost more but you also have extra coverage. It's not always ideal but there are merits to it as well.

Three golden rules:

Don't take Princess Air

All way overpriced, surf the net yourself, as others have suggested.I am my own travel agent.

I agree they are pricey.... you do need to do your own research.

I have not taken Princess Air

I have not taken a Princess Hotel deal

I have taken Princess transfers.

On an overseas cruise I try to find out which Hotel Princess are using and book it independently. I then check out transfer options and sometimes it pays to book the cruise line transfer as it the most convenient and direct.

This is because wholesalers are given a certain amount of rooms at a certain rate. Getting closer to the date of arrival they forward the hotel the bookings. It happens all the time - it is also writtin in the fine print of some wholesalers.

I thought this was the case, Bizziecruzer. I contacted the hotel yesterday and was able to get a reservation number and confirmation of booking. Good to know we have a bed for precruise.

An update on our cancelled flight:

We first reported the problem to Princess last Saturday and were advised we would be contacted on Monday.

After no contact, I contacted Princess again on Tuesday, and was advised the problem had to be fixed in the USA - that would be done in 24-48 hours, and we would be contacted.

Because I was fairly unhappy with progress I asked to speak to a supervisor - I was placed in a queue and shortly after 5pm was disconnected because "Princess has closed for the day".

We are now 48 hours later - no contact whatsoever and our flight still cancelled.

In the circumstances I can only fully support Les recommendation:

Three golden rules:

Don't take Princess Air

I now want to formally (in writing) record my dissatisfaction with this very poor standard of service, but have found it very difficult to find any email address to which I can address my complaint.

Princess seem to have deliberately limited any input from customers to only be via a call centre. And, after several hours waiting in queues for an answer from a call centre, I am totally turned off that approach.

So if anyone can let me know of alternative methods to contact Princess I shall be very grateful.

And, finally, when are our politicians going to legislate that call centres must advise (a) how many people are in the queue ahead of you, (b) what the average wait time is, and © how many operators are on duty.

This is very simple to achieve in terms of technology, and I am sure all of us are totally fed up with hearing "Your call is important to us" every 30 seconds!

Don

Why not post on their Facebook or twitter account. That makes it very public.

Sorry but can't agree that we need legislation about the call centre stuff. Customer service is nothing to do with politicians.

But annoying it is. This is why I make my own bookings because others never have the same need to fix things that I have. Good luck.

An update on our cancelled flight:

We first reported the problem to Princess last Saturday and were advised we would be contacted on Monday.

After no contact, I contacted Princess again on Tuesday, and was advised the problem had to be fixed in the USA - that would be done in 24-48 hours, and we would be contacted.

Because I was fairly unhappy with progress I asked to speak to a supervisor - I was placed in a queue and shortly after 5pm was disconnected because "Princess has closed for the day".

We are now 48 hours later - no contact whatsoever and our flight still cancelled.

In the circumstances I can only fully support Les recommendation:

Three golden rules:

Don't take Princess Air

I now want to formally (in writing) record my dissatisfaction with this very poor standard of service, but have found it very difficult to find any email address to which I can address my complaint.

Princess seem to have deliberately limited any input from customers to only be via a call centre. And, after several hours waiting in queues for an answer from a call centre, I am totally turned off that approach.

So if anyone can let me know of alternative methods to contact Princess I shall be very grateful.

And, finally, when are our politicians going to legislate that call centres must advise (a) how many people are in the queue ahead of you, (b) what the average wait time is, and © how many operators are on duty.

This is very simple to achieve in terms of technology, and I am sure all of us are totally fed up with hearing "Your call is important to us" every 30 seconds!

Don

on the back of the princess book the email is infoprincess@carnivalaustralia.com

Les,

Why didn't you tell me before I booked!

To be serious, I actively researched alternative airfares (as I always do cruises and prices) and seriously considered Scoot's Business class which was $200 cheaper.

I also looked at Jetstar, China ... etc and used a variety of apps to keep me up-to-date with price changes.

Scoot missed out because of © above and you have to spend a day in Singapore as there is no same-day connection up to Bangkok.

However, I doubt if I will use EziAir again.

Don

DON, no worries mate, sorry if my reply made you a little cranky, LOL. You go and enjoy your cruise on Princess, my favoured Line. We have done a dozen cruises with Princess, long ones, over 300 days in all, every one has been good to outstanding.

ENJOY !

I finally managed to get in touch with a supervisor - Casey - who was very helpful and was able to explain the situation to me.

If I can summarise the problem in layman's terms:

Apparently Qantas have a rule that tickets that have not been "ticketed" (paid for?) by 60 days (I might have got the exact number of days incorrect) before the flight will be cancelled. However, Princess have come to an arrangement with Qantas that, for cruise passenger EziAir bookings, flight tickets need not be ticketed till 30 days before the flight.

I must have completed seat selection over 60 days before the flight, but once the 60 days was up Qantas, despite the apparent agreement with Princess, have cancelled the ticket as it had not been paid by Princess.

Clearly to fix this problem some negotations have to take place between Qantas and Princess (probably the parent company Carnival) and this is taking some time.

I am assured it is being worked on and that Princess will advise me as soon as the problem is fixed (hopefully before the ship sails!:))

It was great to finally be able to talk to someone (Casey) who knew their stuff and was clearly very efficient.

Additionally, Casey advised that her group also handled the customer relations area and input to the info.princess@carnivalaustralia.com email address which can be used by customers who are having problems with their bookings.

Don

DON, no worries mate, sorry if my reply made you a little cranky, LOL. You go and enjoy your cruise on Princess, my favoured Line. We have done a dozen cruises with Princess, long ones, over 300 days in all, every one has been good to outstanding.

ENJOY !

Les,

I wasn't at all cranky with you - it was just my rather quirky sense of humour that addressed that question to you.:)

We have also been Elite members for some time and enjoy the extra privileges.

However, we are not adverse to trying alternative cruise lines. And we have enjoyed all our cruises (even Fairstar when the toilets hardly worked:eek:).

But I hate these automated telephone queuing systems no matter which cruise line operates it:mad:

Don

Why not post on their Facebook or twitter account. That makes it very public.

Sorry but can't agree that we need legislation about the call centre stuff. Customer service is nothing to do with politicians.

But annoying it is. This is why I make my own bookings because others never have the same need to fix things that I have. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice re Facebook and Twitter. I must admit that, despite being reasonably computer literate, I resist signing in to Facebook as I do not want to be bombarded with people wanting to be my "friend":rolleyes:

I found your comment about legislation interesting and initially agreed with you - but then I thought that there are quite a few areas of customer service where politicians have become involved - such as guarantees.

And, for call centres, I feel confident the vast majority would be delighted for politicians to enforce greater controls.

We also generally make our own bookings - for instance we booked directly with Princess for the cruise. But for the flight this is the first time we have gone via a 3rd party. I suppose it is like all things - there are pluses and minuses, and we have to balance those in our decision making.

Don

Yes I would love to see call centres being brought to account and I had a 90 minute run around this morning with Myob accounting software. But I also get sick of politicians and laws interfering in our lives and rarely making things better and currently, usually worse!:(.

I get bombarded by friend requests on an old email address that has never had a Facebook account. I actually hate twitter but sadly it seems that using it actually gets things happening. I don't have a twitter account but have seen it work.

Archived