The Salmon runs

Howasaur

We are looking at taking the Y4T Cruise Dawson to Denali in 2013. I enjoy taking wildlife pictures One thing I would like to see is the Salmon runs We fly from Vancouver to Whitehouse, Dawson City, to Fairbanks 3 days in Denali National park down to Anchorage , Seward onto the cruise ship down to Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau What is the best time to see the salmon runs. I was on a 7 day cruise early May Ketchikan Juneau and Skagway and was told we were to early to see the salmon run.

We are looking at taking the Y4T Cruise Dawson to Denali in 2013. I enjoy taking wildlife pictures One thing I would like to see is the Salmon runs We fly from Vancouver to Whitehouse, Dawson City, to Fairbanks 3 days in Denali National park down to Anchorage , Seward onto the cruise ship down to Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau What is the best time to see the salmon runs. I was on a 7 day cruise early May Ketchikan Juneau and Skagway and was told we were to early to see the salmon run.

You didn't like the answers you got when you asked here? :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=35576724#post35576724

:)

You didn't like the answers you got when you asked here? :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=35576724#post35576724

I did very much the pictures they were great. I so much hope I can see this also. It was mentioned that I should post on Alaska site. Now somehow I got two posts same name on the Alaska site. Got to figure out how to cancel other post.a

I did very much the pictures they were great. I so much hope I can see this also. It was mentioned that I should post on Alaska site. Now somehow I got two posts same name on the Alaska site. Got to figure out how to cancel other post.a

I know you're asking about salmon, but here's our first wildlife shot on our recent Y4T tour. This was taken on the way to Kluane Park from Whitehorse:

346aipy.jpg

Salmon runs very from river to river, from species to species and from year to year....but in general terms they are running from late July into September. Another thing that will impact the dates is the weather and the amount of rain received and the water temps and heights in streams, here in southern BC right now with the little rain we have had since late July our runs are very late.

The reason you have two posts showing up is that one was placed originally on the Holland America board. That is where I saw it and gave you my answer. Several people suggested you check this board so it made sense that you would pose the question here as well. What happened though is that the moderator moved your original post from the HAL Board to this board, so you ended up with two identical posts here. Not to worry, it happens!

Overall it is easy to see a salmon run on the inside passage. Are you going to have your own transportation for your land trip??? It's necessary, if you go earlier.

August will hit a salmon run on the inside passage- 99% chance.

Great picture of the moose. I enjoy all pictures of wildlife and taking them also.

The reason I mentioned the Salmon Run is that I have heard so much about it so it would be nice to see it.

We didn't see any Salmon running on this last cruise. We were there like the first week in June. Our first cruise to Alaska (Inside Passage) was late September and we saw lots of dead salmon in Ketchikan (end of the run, I'm guessing).

We took a picture of a porcupine, but it wasn't very good. The best pictures we got of wildlife were in Denali. It was a rainy, snowy day, but we saw bears (several), dahl sheep, moose and caribou (lots).

We cruised August 2011 (began on August 5) for fourteen days. The salmon in Ketchikan were behind schedule and we saw only a few. It was disappointing as we thought we were going to hit them pretty close to peak. We saw salmon in other places, but again, not great concentrations. It was still a great cruise. On our June 2008 cruise we saw no salmon.

Archived