So many changes!

Working 2 Cruise

I would pay higher prices for a better product (food, etc.). So yes, higher prices.

Unfortunately this economy can't support higher cruise prices. They would be dropping prices just to fill ships which would defeat the purpose of raising them in the first place. Then you being the only one, who is willing to pay more, will be upset that others got a better deal. The best way to increase the bottom line is to cut the budget for food and service. The easiest way to cut the budget is to cut payroll so don't be surprised if the service isn't up to par on your next sailing.

Unfortunately this economy can't support higher cruise prices. They would be dropping prices just to fill ships which would defeat the purpose of raising them in the first place. Then you being the only one, who is willing to pay more, will be upset that others got a better deal. The best way to increase the bottom line is to cut the budget for food and service. The easiest way to cut the budget is to cut payroll so don't be surprised if the service isn't up to par on your next sailing.

So far, while annoying to keep losing things, we still haven't given real consideration about abandoning Princess for RCL- although it isn't far ahead. This only because the lost things aren't of major concern-yet. :cool:

Coral, since you are willing to pay more for your cruises, why not try the luxury lines? They probably would not disappoint you...

I actually have.

I also loved Princess at one time when they were a higher quality line. It is sad that they have dropped in quality and are now considered a lesser line compared to lines that they were equal or higher then previously. Princess at one time was considered a Premium line, they no longer are.

I think you are right, only because of all the new builds out there. If they were not trying to fill all of the ships that have been built recently, they could possibly provide a higher quality product.

For example - I loved Princess quality 10-15 years ago. Look at the capacity they were trying to fill back then compared to now. Quite a bit different.

Princess put themselves in this situation (along with other lines). In order to fill all the staterooms, they have to lower prices and subsequently, lower quality.

Maybe cruise lines will go the way of airlines and go with a la carte dining and pricing. Supplements perhaps? Specialty restaurants are an existing example.

A cruise and a flight can never be compared, no one gets on a aircraft for service, food its a means to an end, a cruise is only really taken for pleasure

I don't like any of these new changes either.

We also usually bring wine that is a step up from what you can purchase from the ship and we always have FCCs in stock for the future (and like having the 4 year option) and I LOVED being able to use my coffee card for unlimited specialty teas (although since they've changed brands I don't care about that so much - wait - I guess that's another change I don't like!)and I don't like having my aft BB changed to another , more expensive class.

BUT

Our next cruise will be on Celebrity (ONLY because Princess didn't have the itinerary)and I am coming face to face with all of the things that are SO MUCH BETTER for us on Princess.

Celebrity has a strictly enforced one bottle of wine per person policy but the corkage is $25/bottle.

I will not have my free internet or free laundry (we're Elite on Princess) and there are no self-service laundry rooms.

We cannot combine ANY benefits! Amex Platinum, FCC, stock, TA consortium. Nothing!

Cappuccino is $4.50 cup, not $2.50 like Princess. (As are their specialty teas)

These are just the things I can quickly think of off the top of my head.

Anyways, I am appreciating just how much of a good fit Princess is for us and will deal with the changes.

We've been mostly Celebrity cruisers who came over to Princess for the itinerary. When I first came to this board to plan our cruise, I couldn't believe how much money Princess is essentially giving away. The multiple OBCs were very surprising, but they have to lose a lot of money on the loyalty perks too. The generous wine policy results in less revenue also. I can see why so many are loyal to the line. It can all add up to an amazing deal. We would never choose a cruise based solely on a loyalty program, but I can see why it's so attractive to many at it's current state. Unfortunately, most businesses eventually catch on & realize they're losing too much money. Since this is our first cruise with Princess, the loyalty program isn't an incentive for booking solely with them. By the time we made Platinum or Elite, the program will be a shell of it's former self. When people comment on bringing dirty clothes to have cleaned or say they go home with all clean clothes, you know they'll eventually change their policies. For now, those who are loyal to Princess are getting quite a deal. I wish we would have gotten in on it years ago, before they started catching on. ;)

I actually have.

I also loved Princess at one time when they were a higher quality line. It is sad that they have dropped in quality and are now considered a lesser line compared to lines that they were equal or higher then previously. Princess at one time was considered a Premium line, they no longer are.

We couldn't agree more. But the current increased prices do not reflect this continuous degradation in quality. When one considers the amount of money spent on this line to obtain their offered incentives, and I repeat their incentives, only to reach the brass ring and then to be told that they have changed their minds. Well they must now understand that their loyal customers can also play at this game.

By the time we made Platinum or Elite, the program will be a shell of it's former self. When people comment on bringing dirty clothes to have cleaned or say they go home with all clean clothes, you know they'll eventually change their policies. For now, those who are loyal to Princess are getting quite a deal. I wish we would have gotten in on it years ago, before they started catching on. ;)

This is the sad part. I made Platinum and Elite quickly as I cruised several times a year. But for the typical Princess cruiser (not typical Princess CC member), it would take 10-15 years to reach Platinum or Elite and by then, the benefits will have changed drastically. Sad, as many of these people probably will try to stay loyal to reach these benefits.

A cruise and a flight can never be compared, no one gets on a aircraft for service, food its a means to an end, a cruise is only really taken for pleasure

If you are flying in the back, maybe. Upfront, there's a world of difference, with fares varying greatly (and not because they're booked up). Cathay Pacific sells its premium classes much higher than a mainland China airline.

Even so, compare European and Australian airlines 15 years ago to today. Used to get a 3-course hot meal in the back on 90 minute flights. Now you're lucky to get a small snack. I remember Qantas during a flux state where the snack was served on a full tray of empty dishes and cutlery and all, bizarrely with prepackaged snack items on the tray. Now some airlines are offering better meals for extra money.

Back to cruise lines, I can imagine pricing coming down to a la carte with no inclusives and everything else added on.

I would also pay a higer price. Not a lot more but a little more.

I agree. A gradual increase year after year is acceptable and expected in order for the line to maintain it's quality. That is what happens at our favorite restaurants and hotels.

I think Geo brings up the classic marketing conundrum that Princess - and other mid-price cruise lines face.

If they raise their price, at what point do they push some of their loyal customers to the next level cruise line?

If they don't - and continue to cut services and quality - do they lose the customers anyway? Or do your customers continue to buy, grumble, and accept it?

As others have noted, there's probably just too much capacity. Still, cruise lines have ample opportunity to differentiate themselves and Princess has a considerable investment in building their particular appeal. Has that strategy changed? Maybe.

Interestingly, like other industries caught in this price vs quality trap, each line is waiting for the first move. My opinion would be to protect the legacy features that truly identify your brand - at all cost. The resultant raise in prices would still appeal to the core customers, whom would see the price raise as a value enhancement (I pay more for quality). I can't understand why Princess would let the undecided/uncommitted cruise customer dictate strategy - but that's what happens when you increase capacity beyond your market. Eventually, this industry will have to undergo a shakeout.

I agree. A gradual increase year after year is acceptable and expected in order for the line to maintain it's quality. That is what happens at our favorite restaurants and hotels.

We would have no problem with that at all and find it much more digestible than the continuing cutbacks.

Mike:)

This is the sad part. I made Platinum and Elite quickly as I cruised several times a year. But for the typical Princess cruiser (not typical Princess CC member), it would take 10-15 years to reach Platinum or Elite and by then, the benefits will have changed drastically. Sad, as many of these people probably will try to stay loyal to reach these benefits.

I won't! as we cruise only every couple of years we will only reach Platinum after next year's Royal TA.

We like the Princess product but no longer see an advantage to staying loyal to them. Especially the change in the wine rules. Going to the little stores in France and Italy to find a different wine to enjoy on our balcony was a fun part of our cruise. We still managed to spend a good amount of money on board.

Is it a deal breaker? no, but if another cruiseline offers a similar product we would no longer automatically chose Princess. JMHO

We would have no problem with that at all and find it much more digestible than the continuing cutbacks.

Mike:)

Actually, for the longer Caribbean cruises that we favor, Princess HAS been raising their fares year over year for the past 3 years. A large part of that, I'm sure, is discontinuing the true 14-night itineraries, which has increased the demand for the 10-night itineraries. But we're paying more every year, which is fine with me, providing the experience doesn't get too degraded.

[quote name=loge23;35625388

Interestingly' date=' like other industries caught in this price vs quality trap, each line is waiting for the first move. My opinion would be to protect the legacy features that truly identify your brand - at all cost. The resultant raise in prices would still appeal to the core customers, whom would see the price raise as a value enhancement (I pay more for quality). I can't understand why Princess would let the undecided/uncommitted cruise customer dictate strategy - but that's what happens when you increase capacity beyond your market. Eventually, this industry will have to undergo a shakeout.[/quote]

Too much capacity (or overinvestment) reminds me of cinema chains in the late '90s. Those armchair theatres were just starting to come into style and all the chains decided they had to upgrade to that or lose the competitive age (similar to megaships with all the bells 'n whistles). The returns just weren't there but the cinema chains felt they had to upgrade or lose share. Lots went bankrupt. Maybe Carnival just has to scrap or at least mothball a few ships.

I think you are right, only because of all the new builds out there. If they were not trying to fill all of the ships that have been built recently, they could possibly provide a higher quality product.

For example - I loved Princess quality 10-15 years ago. Look at the capacity they were trying to fill back then compared to now. Quite a bit different.

Princess put themselves in this situation (along with other lines). In order to fill all the staterooms, they have to lower prices and subsequently, lower quality.

Not only that but they are making it impossible to serve a quality meal because they are serving over 3000 passengers on some ships. How do you please everyone with those numbers? I wish Mayor Bloomberg could put a stop to super sizing cruise ships instead of soft drinks. I remember when a large ship carried 1800 passengers.

We've been mostly Celebrity cruisers who came over to Princess for the itinerary. When I first came to this board to plan our cruise, I couldn't believe how much money Princess is essentially giving away. The multiple OBCs were very surprising, but they have to lose a lot of money on the loyalty perks too. The generous wine policy results in less revenue also. I can see why so many are loyal to the line. It can all add up to an amazing deal. We would never choose a cruise based solely on a loyalty program, but I can see why it's so attractive to many at it's current state. Unfortunately, most businesses eventually catch on & realize they're losing too much money. Since this is our first cruise with Princess, the loyalty program isn't an incentive for booking solely with them. By the time we made Platinum or Elite, the program will be a shell of it's former self. When people comment on bringing dirty clothes to have cleaned or say they go home with all clean clothes, you know they'll eventually change their policies. For now, those who are loyal to Princess are getting quite a deal. I wish we would have gotten in on it years ago, before they started catching on. ;)

Please be assured that many of us that have been sailing Princess loyally for over twenty-five years do appreciate the value that Princess Cruises provide. As with all companies and the products that they provide change is part of the process and balance of profitability.

For many cruises we remember enjoying the use of free laundry machines that were provided to everyone. Only when people abused the privilege did Princess have to resort to charging a small fee to use these machines. We also remember all of the wasted effort and food items that a midnight buffet consumed several times during a typical seven day cruise. Princess Head Waiters used to prepare special food items table side as an added delight. This stopped when Princess realized that many dinners served were being discarded partially eaten.

A well run business understands how to control costs while still maintaining value. To us Princess has continued to provide a value in their product as have the competing cruise lines in the upper middle sector of the market.

Certain people feel compelled constantly complain about changes. I they really need to carry a case of wine aboard or really need four years of planning to book a future cruise then perhaps they should simply quietly move on.

For those of us that enjoy a cruise for the simple pleasures that a cruise offers, we will simply solder on and continue to appreciate all of the efforts and value that the people of Princess Cruises offer. ;)

I just had to look to see what board I was on, it sounds just like the Azamara one with their price raise, but I've seldom seen anything about bad food or service. I'll be trying my first with them this month.

I bellieve you will like Princess. I have been on Azamara two time (24 night total). We traveled with 3 other couples who also been on Princess. For us, we thought the food was better on Princess. I really loved the food on Emerald Princess. On Azamara the food was good, but the chef used the same spice a lot. And a lot of it. We had a great time on both lines.

..... Princess's lenient policy to wine and spirits brought onboard is no more! RIP! I did enjoy smuggling a bottle of alcohol in my luggage, but now, after reading my contract, there will be two luggage inspections, one of which on CCTV... Only one bottle of wine per person is allowed now, which is really in keeping with other cruiselines, and will increase revenue for Princess.....

We have cruised on Princess twice. I seem to remember 2 bottles of wine allowed per adult per port. And even that wasn't heavily enforced.

And are you saying we can no longer use a Rum Runner to carry our favorite whiskey onboard? Not in checked in, carryon or on our person? I enjoy having wine or a drink at supper or a show (or both), and then ending the evening with my favorite whiskey, which Princess does not carry.

Maybe I should go on the wagon, and then I wouldn't miss it. And Princess would lose the revenue from all the other wine and spirits we'd otherwise consume.

I was thinking of going on another Princess cruise next year, assuming my company is still in business and I'm still employed. But we've got friends that moved to all inclusive land vacations and never went back to cruising. And highly recommend same. Or we could go back to RVing, which we cut back on when diesel skyrocketed. At least there's no flying involved, there. That's worth a lot in my book.

Lot's of other options.

We have cruised on Princess twice. I seem to remember 2 bottles of wine allowed per adult per port. And even that wasn't heavily enforced.

And are you saying we can no longer use a Rum Runner to carry our favorite whiskey onboard? Not in checked in, carryon or on our person? I enjoy having wine or a drink at supper or a show (or both), and then ending the evening with my favorite whiskey, which Princess does not carry.

Maybe I should go on the wagon, and then I wouldn't miss it. And Princess would lose the revenue from all the other wine and spirits we'd otherwise consume.

I was thinking of going on another Princess cruise next year, assuming my company is still in business and I'm still employed. But we've got friends that moved to all inclusive land vacations and never went back to cruising. And highly recommend same. Or we could go back to RVing, which we cut back on when diesel skyrocketed. At least there's no flying involved, there. That's worth a lot in my book.

Lot's of other options.

The main reason I cruise is because I love being on the ocean, inhaling all that fresh air, feeling the wind in my hair... So, yes, cruising is my favorite way to travel, in addition to many of the advantages cruising offers. I have no interest in RV'ing, and a fairly small interest in land vacations... So, for me, cruising is pretty much it for the most part.

Do I care about the new alcohol policy? Of course, but then I will budget accordingly. As for the FCC's, I use them almost as soon as I get them, so no problem there.

As for the food quality, I cruised Carnival in April, and believe me, the quality of food you get on Princess is much superior.

So, I will keep on cruising with Princess. I also thank all of those who have cancelled their cruises... Hopefully, this will bring the fares down or more specials available!

[quote name=Working 2 Cruise;35627914.

I also thank all of those who have cancelled their cruises... Hopefully' date=' this will bring the fares down or more specials available![/quote]

:D Uh oh, Nina, you are going to start a rumble here with that comment! Too funny!!

Archived