How do you save up for a cruise ? post it

panaba453

We are both still working but have lots of vacation time. We put $400 per month from my pay into our vacation fund, plus add a bit from DH monthly bonus. Plus we drink all our coffee at home, so no $5 mocha lattes for us. This allows us about three full weeks of vacation a year, plus several more little get-aways...all paid for prior to going. We also put EVERYTHING (except mortgage and car payments) on our airline cards so that our airfare is paid or deeply discounted. We stay in the lower of the price range balcony cabins and watch for deals with lots of obc. Our shipboard account is usually under $200 for a week cruise, so we come back basically owing nothing.

I use cash for my day to day expenses (food, gas, etc) monthly bills (utilities, etc) I pay on my RCI credit card. At the end of the day any misc change, $1 & $5 bills go into a drawer. I use the points from my cruise card for OBC on the ship. This usually pays for 1 cruise per year in a balcony cabin. If I want to upgrade, I take that amount out of regular savings.

Both myself and my Fiance save $100 out of each paycheck (400 a month) and save every 5th monthly paycheck, which happened 2 or 3 times a year. We also save our taxes.We usually return from our cruises with plenty of cash.

We are retired, and am fortunate enough not to have to actually save for cruises. Having said that, we are frugal in general, and have always lived well below our means. I don't like to feel like I am not getting my money's worth, so pretty much we have always watched our pennies. Because of that, we cruise 2-3 times a year, although even while on vacation continue to be frugal. We have a blast no matter what!

We retired with the knowledge and budget that we could spend about $25,000 a year on travel. We probably average 20K a year for the past 8 years since retirement on travel. Didn’t do much traveling before we retired. We charge everything on American Express and pay off monthly and get cash back I guess from the people that don’t pay off monthly.

That's our formula! Travel while we can!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have antenna tv, so no cable/satellite bill, rarely eat out, no Starbucks or fast food meals, we don't buy steak, and we keep those monthly savings tracked separately for cruise fund.

Our Capitol One Quicksilver card pays 1.5% so we charge everything on that card, pay it off in full every month, and use that 1.5% to help fund cruise.

Edited by NMLady

I realize this is an old post, but wondered how people do it nowadays. Are we using our credit cards and making payments for months and months afterwards or are we saving dollars ahead of time somehow. What are some of the tricks to saving.

I had read on another page that 78% of the working folks are living pay check to pay check. Does that mean that only the retired or wealthy are cruising?

Also had read about cruisers using their stock dividends and or asset income. Having lost more money then I care to count in a couple of crashes/down turns, I will probably never be able to count on those types of funds for vacation.

Just curious on people's thought now in 2017.

We do not book a cruise until we know we have the funds or can budget for it. We pay credit card off in full every month.