Amazon River Cruise?

crusinbanjo

Mrs Banjo & I were looking at booking an the Ft Lauderdale to Manaus , (or reverse), Amazon River cruise as this would be one of the very few IT's that we have not cruised. Anyway, I was doing some homework on the cruise and the ports and the tours seem really thin and not very interesting. I could be all wrong about this or course which is why I am asking the question.

So, any body done this IT? What was your impression of the ports and of the tour offerings. Thanks

We did an Amazon cruise several years ago. On Oceania not Princess. We went from Miami and back and it included Devil's Island. The ports on the Amazon were not very interesting but the Amazon river is awesome. Getting the visas and shots was not so much fun and relatively expensive.

~Doris~

The river itself is why you're there and it's amazing. We sailed on Pacific Princess in Feb/Mar 2009 and did it b2b. Besides avoiding the flights either way, which were reported to be awful, we avoided the expense of the flight, putting that money toward the return trip by ship. A wonderful experience.

I suggest that you look for the Amazon cruise in the reviews from back then.

We did this itinerary a few years back, we found the excursions interesting, like the Alligator hunt if they still offer it, we took a canoe into the reeds at night with flashlights and looked for baby alligators. The cruise of the River itself is amazing, there is a part where it meets another body of water that they call Cafe Au Lait as it looks like coffee with creamer spilling into it. I remember we stopped at a small village and gave almost all of our belongings away to the natives they so rarely saw any foreigners. The trip is well worth it.

We did this trip, round trip from FLL. Found it amazing, and well worth the time and money. We sailed on Royal Princess #2. We did several private tours while in Manaus for three days. Would highly recommend it.

We also did round trip Fort Lauderdale since that was less expensive than flying one way.

When we did it, there were numerous Princess excursions to choose from except at Devil's Island (where you actually walk around on Royale Islandon your own, no excursion needed) and at Boca de Valeria (where again you go around on your own, but there is not much to see there).

In fact, going both ways worked out better in two additional ways:

a) Instead of trying to do two excursions a day in some ports, we did one excursion on the way to the Amazon and the other on the way back.

b) We missed one port on the way to the Amazon and a different one on the way back. By going both directions, we ended up visiting all the ports.

I do not know how your ports of call compares to the ones we did, but we had no problem giving Princess plenty of money for excursions, especially some great ones at Manaus.

Mrs Banjo & I were looking at booking an the Ft Lauderdale to Manaus , (or reverse), Amazon River cruise as this would be one of the very few IT's that we have not cruised. Anyway, I was doing some homework on the cruise and the ports and the tours seem really thin and not very interesting. I could be all wrong about this or course which is why I am asking the question.

So, any body done this IT? What was your impression of the ports and of the tour offerings. Thanks

We did this cruise on the now retired Royal Princess in January 2010. My long review - including the excursions we took - is at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1123915. It is fascinating and I highly recommend it.

We will be on this cruise as our second journey up the Amazon. It is a wonderful escape from world troubles and just watching, in the distance, the night sky over the Rain Forest was like ten 4th of July celebrations. The stops along the way are very primitive but most educational. And the Parintins native festival show representing the towns entry is spectacular and not to be missed.

As others have stated this was a great cruise and the excursions we took very enjoyable. The 2 stops that do not offer excursions (Devil's Island and the village) were educational. The worst part of the trip was the flight back from Manaus.

We did an Amazon cruise several years ago. On Oceania not Princess. We went from Miami and back and it included Devil's Island. The ports on the Amazon were not very interesting but the Amazon river is awesome. Getting the visas and shots was not so much fun and relatively expensive.~Doris~

Our first Amazon sailing was on Oceania while this upcoming return will be with Princess. Should make for a good comparison. As we were unable to get aboard the Grand for the circumventing of South America, the Amazon was the next best itinerary for the time of year. Our Yellow Fever shots card is still valid but we missed out on the Brazilian visa by three months. The replacement is even more expensive and as we both know totally unwarranted.

We also did round trip Fort Lauderdale since that was less expensive than flying one way.

We also sailed B2B because it was cheaper than flying one-way to or from Manaus, but we were on the Pacific Princess in 2009. My long, detailed review is here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=76532

A friend was on the same cruise and here is her review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=56712

Our first Amazon sailing was on Oceania while this upcoming return will be with Princess. Should make for a good comparison. As we were unable to get aboard the Grand for the circumventing of South America, the Amazon was the next best itinerary for the time of year. Our Yellow Fever shots card is still valid but we missed out on the Brazilian visa by three months. The replacement is even more expensive and as we both know totally unwarranted.

So I guess then you'd be literally circumventing South America.

We did it back in 2009, and quite honestly, it's one I'd love to do again at some point (although I have to admit, I'd rather do the back to back, but that's pretty tough when you're working). My blog from this cruise is available here: http://www.schrock.org/category/2009-amazon-cruise/

The privately arranged tour we did from Manaus is easily one of the best day trips I've ever done.

We did it back in 2009, and quite honestly, it's one I'd love to do again at some point (although I have to admit, I'd rather do the back to back, but that's pretty tough when you're working). My blog from this cruise is available here: http://www.schrock.org/category/2009-amazon-cruise/

The privately arranged tour we did from Manaus is easily one of the best day trips I've ever done.

Thank you for your blog on this trip. Hope to find someone like Rudolpho for a private tour especially the night tour although we are doing the return voyage and not sure if time will permit. For the benefit of others, was missing the demonstration of the Boi Bumba festival a mistake? We know it is expensive although we are planning on attending again as the presentation is different each year. Our thinking being that the whole trip is so expensive and for many a once in a lifetime occurrence that the additional costs for the show may be warranted to prevent this missed opportunity.

Thank you for your blog on this trip. Hope to find someone like Rudolpho for a private tour especially the night tour although we are doing the return voyage and not sure if time will permit. For the benefit of others, was missing the demonstration of the Boi Bumba festival a mistake? We know it is expensive although we are planning on attending again as the presentation is different each year. Our thinking being that the whole trip is so expensive and for many a once in a lifetime occurrence that the additional costs for the show may be warranted to prevent this missed opportunity.

We weren't planning on attending the Boi Bumba because of the cost (in January 2010 it was over $100; I can't remember if that was per person or for two) but we made a last minute decision to go figuring we most likely would never get the chance again.

As I noted in my review, we're glad we did. This is an abbreviated version of an annual festival put on by two teams – the biggest thing in Brazil outside of Carnivale in Rio we were told. The singing, dancing, costumes and incredible floats of the team doing the show were spectacular. No one was complaining about the cost afterwards.

This is Rodoplho's company: http://amazondestinations.blogspot.com/

I know he has a bunch of set tours listed, but I also know he customized the one that our group did. (We weren't the ones that set it up, it was someone else in the group, and I'm ever so glad that we got in on it.)

As for the Boi Bumba thing, I've got mixed opinions. The first night in Manaus they had a cultural show on the ship with a bunch of dancing, and I have to admit, I wasn't sure I really needed an excursion with a couple hours of dancing after that. But to be honest, there's not really a lot to do in Parintins that I could see, and not a lot to see just wandering around town (at least that we ran into). We also saw some of the footage of the show from the reflections dvd that we bought, and I think if I had to make the decision again I'd probably go to the show.

I'd say it would depend on why you're considering it. Haven't done an Amazon cruise, but did spend 5 great days deep in the Peruvian Amazon at a jungle lodge. If you're birders and wildlife enthusiasts, that's a great way to go. In the case of seeing the jungle ecosystem, much depends on patient observation and getting out there at the crack of dawn. (We also spent a few more weeks in Peru, which was also amazing.) Not every place has to be visited from a cruise ship.

I'd say it would depend on why you're considering it. Haven't done an Amazon cruise, but did spend 5 great days deep in the Peruvian Amazon at a jungle lodge. If you're birders and wildlife enthusiasts, that's a great way to go. In the case of seeing the jungle ecosystem, much depends on patient observation and getting out there at the crack of dawn. (We also spent a few more weeks in Peru, which was also amazing.) Not every place has to be visited from a cruise ship.

I agree, and if you're sold on a cruise, there are those that start in Peru and do the more remote parts of the Amazon. There are two destinations where, at the risk of offending some past passengers, I think it's good to at least explore the option of an expedition cruise company: the Amazon and the Antarctic. The prices are no doubt higher, but when you consider included excursions and often airfare, and the fact that you spend your time THERE instead of cruising through the Caribbean getting there, it might make financial sense.

Archived