Live blog by Aussie on Westerdam 30 night Hawaii and Frernch Polynesia

I'm currently on HAL's Westerdam on a 30 night cruise out of San Diego to Hawaii, French Polynesia and the Marquesas and although I have been told there are a few other Aussies on board, I haven't met them yet - and I was certainly the only one on our roll call of nearly 200 passengers.

Anyway, I'm doing a live blog (following on from my South American and Antarctic one last year) when internet allows so if you're interested about reading about the cruise from an Australian perspective, the link is below.

http://bescotti.blogspot.com/

My only complaint so far (apart from abysmal internet connection) is not with onboard service but HO policy and the different booking treatment for Aussies. Leading up to the cruise there were huge price drops and North American passengers in the same class of cabin (VD) as myself were able to upgrade to a superior suite for only about $300 more while I would have had to pay $000s! A lot of them also received free upgrades - one from an outside cabin to a VA - but alas not for me.

Having said that though, I like the HAL product once onboard and am enjoying myself. I had looked at the Princess equivalent out of Sydney but with airfare to San Diego and solo use of a balcony cabin worked out more economical for me on HAL, plus we're covering more ports.

Bev

Well, after complaining about the bad internet connection, I've found out today that we have lost our satellite TV shows so we must just be in a 'dead spot' so it is a ship-wide problem and not only the internet. Once speed picks up again I'll be posting more photos to go with the daily entries.

Tomorrow we visit Fanning Island - Monday disappeas altogether as we cross the international dateline but we'll have 2 Wednesdays to make up for missing out on Mondayitis.

Bev

Archived