Potential Divorce After Booking Cruise?

BayAreaBC

Unfortunately it looks like I likely will be getting divorced after we have booked a cruise 4 months away. My trip insurance doesn't cover divorce. We usually get along better when we travel but it will definitely be awkward.

Does anyone have any advice?

(I hope this forum is not hacked so that my identity isn't revealed)

Unfortunately it looks like I likely will be getting divorced after we have booked a cruise 4 months away. My trip insurance doesn't cover divorce. We usually get along better when we travel but it will definitely be awkward.

Find a friend or relative to join you instead :)

Chances are that if your potential ex reads this site and reads the places you have listed in your signature -- it will be recognized.

Also your "name" - BayArea BC -- will give you away when you combine both together.

Should you get divorced and have to cancel -- you lose your money as you have discovered.

Relax.

I am sure there are tens of thousands of people from the Bay area that have been to Estonia, Peru, Zanzibar, Ecuador, Tangyangyika, Egypt, etc.

Enjoy your cruise and single life. Have a blast.

Why did you put location as San Francisco if you don't want to be recognized. Now I want to know if you are my co-worker :eek:

Seriously, you can change the name, meaning somebody else can go with you instead of your ex.

Can't you just cancel this cruise? You are outside the 90 day period and you should get 100% refund.

You could rebook, if you want a different cruise, or if you want to add someone else.

Good Luck!

Kel:)

I see that no one on this board has befriended the OP. Seems like an opportune time.

I feel sorry if things are unraveiing. One of you must have been cruising independently. So to speak.

As to the OP's identify, I think it is safe. The list of destinations visited is a joke.

If a divorce is pending, I wouldn't want to go on vacation with someone I couldn't live with....

Cancel the cruise....get some perspective, and re-book when your mind and your life is in better shape. Going on vacation with someone who no longer likes you is a ridiculous idea.

If you've paid in full, you will loose both fares. Take DH/DW's half of total fare, apply it as solo fare supplement to your half and go! If the money will be gone anyway, doesn't it make sense to get use of it? :confused: I would think some alone time would be nice!:)

Well, since you posted it as the Bear Cruise and the dates along with your location, I'm sure anyone that wants to know can figure it out???

Since this is a charter, I'm not sure what the rules are for making a change, probably up to bearcruise.com??? Start with them and see what they can do for you.

Good luck!!

Well, since you posted it as the Bear Cruise and the dates along with your location, I'm sure anyone that wants to know can figure it out???

Since this is a charter, I'm not sure what the rules are for making a change, probably up to bearcruise.com??? Start with them and see what they can do for you.

Good luck!!

Is there anyone that could possibly explain the above post to me.:confused:

I am in left field with a catchers mitt.

Good luck!!

I noticed that as well when I went back to look at their previous posts. Having a location and a rather specialized interest isn't going to exactly hide your identity on the internet.

I am not sure this is a serious post.

If you are legally married, and have not yet filed any paperwork, and you really live in CA, you won't be divorced by the Feb cruise. It takes six months minimum in CA to get a divorce after the date you file the paperwork.

Suggest you cancel and get your money back before final payment is due.

Tell you what, if I went on a cruise with my newly ex-ed, I'd be sporting a life jacket at all times.

Stuff it. Go alone!why should you cancel and not have a good cruise. Don't let him ruin it. Call the cruise line and tell them you want to put his name off and go as a single..... another option call and get it chAnged to someone elses name, got with a friend, your mum, sister etc. Someone will jumbo at the chance.

Odd that this should come up but I too am in the same situation. My soon to be ex wife and I will be splitting after our cruise in 1 week. Story goes: Several months ago we booked, along with her parents and another married couple and their son. In the past weeks things have transpired that make our lives together no longer favorable. Out of everyone that's sailing next week, noone knows about our decision, not even her parents. So it is our intention to "get through" this cruise with the least amount of awkwardness and tension that we can so as not to ruin a good time for the others.

Our options to our dilemma were: 1) We both not go, lose out on the money and make her parents and our friends very awkward. 2)I not go since her parents are sailing, but dammit I wanna go on the cruise!! 3) She not go, but with her parents going it really wasnt an option. Or 4) We both go, make it a decent time and "get through it" so as not to lose out on money and not make others feel weird about it.

So option 4 is what were doing. Call it crazy, call it ridiculous, call it stupid, its what we have decided. Im lookin forward to the cruise and intend on having a good time. Hope this helps. Cheers!

[quote=unionprivate;35750004] 4) We both go, make it a decent time and "get through it" so as not to lose out on money and not make others feel weird about it.

So option 4 is what were doing. Call it crazy, call it ridiculous, call it stupid, its what we have decided. Im lookin forward to the cruise and intend on having a good time. Hope this helps. Cheers!

I'd call you thoughtful and mature for considering others. Hope you have a marvelous time and the two of you can enjoy this last trip together.

Good luck in your futures.............

Hugs to any of you having a relationship dissolve. It's never easy, no joking matter, and - yes - it affects the extended family.

When adult "kids" commit to a relationship (marriage / moving in together / whatever), most parents open their hearts and take the partner in as another beloved child. When a split happens, it's difficult for those parents, too. What? But my daughter-in-law IS my daughter now. Where does that fit when she and my son split up? And she gets a new boyfriend?????? You just don't stop caring....

But in the OP's case, yeah, I'd say find someone else to share the cruise with UNLESS cruising was a big tradition with the dying relationship... then it might be just a sad reminder....

Hugs again.

There is nothing worse then putting on "the happy face" for the people you are traveling with. I've been there and done that. If I could have gotten off that ship I would have. I don't care what size cabin you have, its just not big enough. You can not get away from the person you can no longer stand. Personally, I'd stay home and start getting my ducks in a row. You know what I'm talking about.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. For what its worth, the next cruise I took was with friends and I stayed solo in my cabin. it was one of the best cruises I've ever been on.

I don't consider it crazy at all. I made the mistake of telling my parents that my ex and I were splitting up before final payment... and that was not a very fun cruise since I was essentially alone with 2 couples (parents and brother). I would much rather have had him there with me. We both were responsible adults and we could enjoy each others company but we realized that the relationship simply wasn't working. I think it is great when a couple can realize that something is failing and cannot be resolved but can still be amicable afterwards. I have remained friends with most of my exs for this reason.

Like thousands of other young men, I met Mrs. "right", and married her. Unfortunately it took me over 20 years to ask her what her first name was. It was "ALWAYS".

My 2 cents worth... I may be way wrong, (just ask my ex, she'll confirm that I usually am) LOL. You may be over thinking it; you may need to look at it from a different angle?

I have (3) Suggestions,

1. Of course your odds of getting a refund are similar to winning a lottery, but... Regardless of what your agent says, (if you used one), I have never known anyone that was unable to change the name on one of the tickets to someone else. The few times I have seen it done, it was done through the cruise line directly
  2. Try and get new roommates...
    • CREATE A NEW LOGON USER I.D.
    • BE AWARE, that any user ID can easily be tracked "within the threads pages",
    • Quietly start or join a new thread, one that is cruise ship and date specific.
    • DO NOT LIE, but you may not want to immediately and openly volunteer that you are married. You may want to wait until you have established offline e-mail communication. Maybe lean towards being a couple that broke up or friends no longer desire to cruise together or???
    • The reality is that on past cruises (cruise #19 coming up), I have met several couples, ex-couples, roommates, co-workers and even other married couples, in similar situations. You’re not the only ones that have bought their tickets for a cruise that far out. Ironically, they are often purchased in the hope of rekindling a relationship, maybe sometimes it works? Maybe it'll work for you if you do take the cruise together. (Fingers crossed for good luck)
    • Don't forget that Marriages are not gender specific!

[*]3rd and most important, you know in your heart whether you two can make nice or not. If you can't, don't waste your time going! You will most likely be miserable, make others miserable, and your bar bill will be so ridiculous $$$, that you will regret it for an eternity!

• Make nice and have fun,
  • Negotiate the tickets as part of the pre-settlement,
  • Sell the tickets,
  • Sell them for half off,
  • Give them away...

I am very sorry to see you are getting a divorve. Regardless of how the cruise works out, I do wish you the best of luck going forward.

Archived