Visas

dave_k63

There are countries like Russia that require a VISA unless you book an excursion while on a cruise with an approved guide. A Russian Federation VISA for a land trip is a real challenge to fill out completely and without any errors and costs about $175 US.

Then there are countries like Vietnam and Turkey that charge a minimal VISA fee that can be purchased on the ship or at the dock.

And then there are countries like Chile that charge a RECIPROCITY fee if you fly in but not if you cruise in.

Your question is way too broad......

It depends on where you are going, and what country you are from and whether or not your cruise line can get any of the visas on board the ship for you.

In general, even on World Cruises very few visas are required prior to the voyage.

Keith

It depends on where you are going, and what country you are from and whether or not your cruise line can get any of the visas on board the ship for you.

In general, even on World Cruises very few visas are required prior to the voyage.

Keith

China and India both require you to get a visa in advance. there is no provision for the cruise line to get these for you and you have to have them prior to boarding.

China and India both require you to get a visa in advance. there is no provision for the cruise line to get these for you and you have to have them prior to boarding.

That is correct and there are a few others like that such as Brazil.

And as I noted it also depends what country you are a passport holder of too.

There are however other places where visas are obtained on board the ship.

In the scheme of things on the World Cruises we have been on average we have required about two visas because either the other counties didn't require them and for some of the ones that did (places such as India, Brazil, China and a few others excluded) they could be obtained on the ship.

Keith

THanks for the information. We were interested in a cruise to the Baltics. We are all American citizens. I had heard it could be a real pain.

That narrows it down quite a bit. Russia requires a visa, but the ship issues a blanket visa for people using ship's excursions. Private tour companies in Russia can also issue blanket visas for people using their tours. However, if you are trying to get off the ship on your own, you need to get your own visa, and yes, it can be time consuming.

This is regularly discussed on the Northern Europe and Baltics board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

I agree with CruiserBruce.

Russia should be the only place that you will have to deal with a visa and rather than getting a traditional visa you can book ship tours and/or private tours.

the Northern Europe Port is a good place to ask questions but I would begin by starting to find itineraries of interest.

Keith

Turkey and Egypt are about £10-what's that?- about $14?- but only if you're flying in for a day before, or staying.

That's about the same as the $14 for the visa-waiver a European has to pay to enter the USA.

I've not heard of any visas on Baltic cruises, other than the Russian one, which is dealt with by going on a tour.

THanks for the information. We were interested in a cruise to the Baltics. We are all American citizens. I had heard it could be a real pain.

Nope :)

As Bruce's post, for St Petersburg it's a doddle - as long as you are pre-booked on a tour organised by the ship or by one of a number of local tour operators accredited to operate the Russian govt's "visa-waiver" scheme. Your tour ticket gets you through immigration, no need for a visa.

And because St Pete's is the highlight of a Baltic cruise, & there are other difficulties such as transport from sight to sight & trying to read the cryllic alphabet, the vast majority of cruisers would want to take an organised tour anyway.

BTW, be wary of advice that you must take a ship's tour to qualify for visa-waiver. :rolleyes:

This will be advice from folk, incl some T/As & even cruise line staff, who've been mis-led by carefully-phrased cruise line literature which gives that impression, but which actually says (correctly) that you must have a visa to visit unaccompanied.

No visas needed for the other Baltic ports, and they're very easy to DIY if that's your preference.

A great place to cruise - varied countries/ports, & not the easiest to tour by land.

Go for it - you'll not be disappointed

JB :)

So if you want to go to a concert and the circus on your own or just walk around or shop independently, you must have an individual visa.

I speak Russian, so this is what I am going to do. Also, I have been to St. Petersburg (and Leningrad) before, so I know how to navigate local transport. The Metro is easy enough and cheap. Plenty of taxis but finding an honest one may be a different story.

Archived