Survival bags

karabear15

I will be traveling with a group where most are first time cruisers over New Years. I have seen that many destination weddings the bride/groom set up these survival bags for their guests. I was thinking to do something around the same lines for our newbies but wanted to see what kind of input I could get from you all!

I have a general idea, but getting more ideas would be very helpful and would help with the creativity. Things you know not to board without as well as little fun things.

Post it's and pens

Ginger tablets

Lanyards

Highlighters

Bottle opener/ corkscrew

Travel alarm clock

Magnet (the walls are metal and you can tack whatever you want)

3:1 outlet (converts one outlet to three; much easier than bringing a power strip)

Agree with above:

Hand sanitzer-especially the one you can attach to your tote bag.

Magnets

Sticky notes

Neck pouch (instead of using lanyard) with clear portion for cruise card; zipper portion for bills and/or passport. You may be able to order from a "promotions" company with some type of personalization/dates/etc. (eg "cruising into the new year")

How about custom/personalized luggage tag(s) for each person? DS did some for her DH birthday cruise.

Thanks everyone, these are all great ideas.

I did look onto oriental trading and will be getting beach bags from there, more than likely will personalize.

We are going to Aruba and Curacao...however we are from Chicago, so I'm definitely sticking mini sunblocks and aloes in each bag.

Keep em' coming!! The more ideas the better these will turn out!

I coordinated a 50th surprise birthday cruise for my DH and 43 others joined us for the trip. I bought navy blue small-ish fanny packs and put a hand cleaner, small tube of high SPF sunscreen, note pad, pen, and tissue packet into each. I also provided a bottle of water with a squirt drinking cap (vs. screw-on cap) so folks could refill it for shore excursions (no one flew in the day of the cruise, making the water bottle possible). The fanny pack had a pocket that would expand to a net bag to hold the bottle. This was 2005 and I've been told that some folks are still using their packs!

I've also made luggage tags for smaller groups that had a picture of the ship, the 'theme' of the group (i.e. Celebration Cruise) and each person's name in the group on one side of the tag. The other side was personalized with "This Bag Belongs to" and their name (no address or personal info). Each was business card size and laminated with a loop to attach to their bag. I sent several to each person so they could attach to their checked and carry on bags.

Getting the large tags to hold your cabin luggage tags as gifts are also nice. I've given 3/person for small groups. These can be used on subsequent cruises as well as holding a sheet with a travel itinerary for any type of travel.

I have always given the travel gifts/favors in advance of the cruise so folks don't go out and buy the items, resulting in duplication.

I have always given the travel gifts/favors in advance of the cruise so folks don't go out and buy the items, resulting in duplication.

I think this is a good idea, however two of the 8 of us will be flying, the rest of us are driving together and I personally will be helping to pack 3 of the others so that they don't bring their entire closet. The only thing is I'm going to have to have a seperate bag or hide them well in my own suitcase so that the ones traveling with me don't see them until we board.

I was also thinking of maybe seeing if our hotel would be kind enough to sneak them in our rooms while we are out to dinner the night before we board...mainly because I found these really fun pineapple shaped sunglasses that I think would be hilarious if we all wore for our boarding group picture!

I love this thread.. I have FINALLY convinced my mother to take her first cruise (we will be booking for Thanksgiving next year) and I was already trying to think of a nice surprise for her room.. Was thinking of pre-ordering a flower arrangement, but like a gift bag idea better.

Dana

I like to bring a clothes pin or two just in case the drapes don't close tight ( I like sleeping in a dark room) or to hang something up to dry. Also, how about some needle and thread kits like they give away in hotels...nice for a loose button or unexpected rip.

Thanks everyone, these are all great ideas.

I did look onto oriental trading and will be getting beach bags from there, more than likely will personalize.

We are going to Aruba and Curacao...however we are from Chicago, so I'm definitely sticking mini sunblocks and aloes in each bag.

Keep em' coming!! The more ideas the better these will turn out!

Good ideas! The only one I think would be iffy would be sunscreen, unless you are buying it after you get off the airplane, due to luggage issues. The mini ones would be great though, as long as you have enough room for all these bags and stuff in your checked luggage.

A small / mini-flashlight.

I've been on baord when the power went out and it was dark, dark in an inside cabin. Also, once had to use a restroom in a cruise terminal before embarkation and it had no lights! Vancouver I believe. Also dark, dark, but I had a my little flashlight clipped on my purse.

On board I always use a tote bag to carry my water bottle and book plus my daily newspaper but I like the fanny pack idea too. I used those when we took the grandkids to Disneyland and each one had ID card with phone numbers, waterbottle, pen and mini note pad, lip chap stick, mini flashlight and a few other things I don't remember.

Love the suggestions already made! Looking for others' great ideas. m--

Some great ideas here but NO ONE looks good in a fanny pack! My suggestion would be a small plastic hanger thingy with the pegs attached to dry swimsuits and undies. A small notebook to take notes on where you took pictures etc. would be useful too.

Sue

Something else I would include is a variety of ZipLock bags. They're great for storing stuff in the safe, for your camera or phone if it might get damp/wet, etc. I brought a bunch on my recent Island cruise and used them all; was so happy I had them.

Archived