Same day flight-Orlando to FLL ?

kimmi5207

Hi,

I am taking a cruise from Ft Lauderdale leaving on a Saturday evening on the Oasis next May. My adult son and I am flying from Houston to Orlando Wednesday morning and visiting Disney thru Fri night. We will be flying back home from FLL after the cruise.

Originally I was going to rent a car for about $70 and drive from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale on Sat morning, leaving around 7-8am to arrive around noon. I feel like that may be cutting it close. An accident on the road could introduce hours of unexpected delays.

Now I'm considering flying from MCO to FLL Sat morning. We would leave at 8:55am, arrive at 9:54am. One way flights are around $87 each, I'll round up and say$225-250 total with luggage and fees. I dont mind the extra cost if I'm eliminating 4-5 hours of driving and reducing the stress. This is Spirit Airline which appears to just have 1 morning flight per day which makes me nervous.

I could also fly from MCO to Miami Sat morning on American Airlines for about the same cost and then catch a shuttle to the port in Ft Lauderdale (I assume). There are flights arriving at 9:50, another arrives at 11:15 (if the first is cancelled somehow). There is 1 flight arriving earlier than the 2 I listed as well.

Usually I would never dream of a same day flight (usually fly in at least 2 days early) but it's only a 45 -90 min flight, same state, no connections. The ship leaves at 4 or 5pm, which means onboard by 2 or 3pm at the latest. Since we aren't arriving in Orlando until Wed afternoon I really didn't want to cut Friday short to fly to FLL. (but I will if I have to!)

What are your thoughts risk wise on the 3 options above?

Thanks for your help.

Honest option is I don't like any of them.

When you fly in the day of the cruise there is risk if the flight is cancelled or delayed. There are so many factors that can cause this including weather, lack of personnel, mechanical issues, FAA, Airport, Airplane computer glitches, security breaches, insufficient flight personnel and the list goes on and on.

Can you change your plans to arrive at Orlando a day earlier and then drive or fly down to Fort Lauderdale a day before the cruise begins.

If not, I would fly down the night before.

Keith

Just an idea... Is driving in the evening a problem? Maybe leave Orlando at around 7pm or 8pm on the Friday and overnight at a cheap hotel partway between Orlando and FLL? That wouldn't be cutting all that much off your stay in Orlando but would still keep the stress levels down by not having so far to travel on the day of the cruise.

More chances that some thing could go wrong with a flight the morning of your cruise than that all the highways (toll road and I-95) would be blocked.

I would leave Orlando after dinner Friday and stay at or near FLL; sleep in the next day, grab some breakfast and you should be enjoying lunch and your first DOD on the ship by noon. :D

For info on FLL area hotels check www.sunny.org Good luck! :)

Thanks for your feedback.

Last night I started thinking the flights may be a big hassle - getting to the airport, checking in, security, etc, All of that would take longer than the actual flight! Not to mention by the time I knew that we wouldn't make a flight, it would probably be too late to drive down.

I looked into flying to Orlando Tuesday evening, so that we could have a full day in the parks Wednesday but the Tuesday flight options weren't as good (I need to work that Tuesday so would need an evening flight).

I hadn't thought of driving halfway down to FLL the night before, on Friday. That's a good idea. That way, we could still have a full day/evening in the park on Friday but the stress regarding getting to FLL the next morning would be greatly reduced if it was just a 2 hour drive vs a 4-5 hour drive. In fact, maybe that Friday we could visit one of the parks that close earlier (Animal Kingdom), which would make it easier to leave Friday evening, rather than trying to leave at 9pm after the other parks close.

Just not sure about what I will do regarding luggage though for that final day in the park (if it will all fit hidden in the trunk), since I would have to check out of the hotel that morning.

What would be some cities about half way between Orlando and Fort Lauderdale that would be good options for staying over night?

Thanks again for your ideas. It gives me some other options to consider that I hadn't thought of.

I agree with the others on not flying to FLL the day of your cruise.

If you wanted to drive about half-way, you could look at staying somewhere around Port St. Lucie. That would give you about a 1 1/2 to 2 hr drive (give or take a little) to FLL the day of your cruise.

Just not sure about what I will do regarding luggage though for that final day in the park (if it will all fit hidden in the trunk), since I would have to check out of the hotel that morning.

Slightly bigger car than you were originally thinking of perhaps? I'm obviously no expert on cars in the US but I get the impression from these boards that car hire rates are fairly reasonable so it might not cost you too much more for a bigger one with more trunk space?

True - it shouldn't be that big of a price difference to rent a slightly larger car, although rentals overall cost more when renting one way vs returning to the same location.

I'll look into Port St Lucie as an overnight stop as well.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

We are thinking of doing the same thing next August but may drive all the way on the Friday night - around 4ish (I believe it's only about 3-3.5hrs :confused:). That way we can crash out when we arrive at the hotel and have a nice leisurely breakfast and Saturday morning.

Someone did post on another thread that it was cheaper to pick up a car at MCO and drop off at FLL airport rather than a one way with drop off near the port? I'm going to investigate this with a few hire companies. I was also hoping the hotel in Orlando that we plan on staying for a few nights would hold our luggage for the Friday daytime? I'm going to ask and see what they say.

I would rent a car the night before in Orlando (it's probably the same price as getting it in the morning), pack before bed, then leave at 8 AM. Or leave the night before and stay in Vero Beach, Jupitor, West Palm Beach, or Boca Raton.

If you did do one of the earlier closing parks on Friday, I would just drive all the way to FLL. You should be in bed by midnight which means you are in no rush the morning of the cruise. I would do some searching on the various car rental websites, and also make use of discount codes you can find on here. Alamo and National run a free shuttle to the port from the airport. If you find the other companies are cheaper to return to the airport than their city locations with free port shuttles, a cab is only about $15 from the airport.

Another option would be the Orlando-Miami shuttle bus http://www.miamiorlandoshuttle.com/orlando_to_ft_lauderdale_bus.html

Leaves from Disney at 630pm ($40pp), or Orlando Station at 8pm ($25pp) and arrives in Ft Lauderdale at 1130pm. Saves you driving or returning a rental car. The drop off location in Ft Lauderdale is a Denny's at Sheridan and I-95, which has a Days Inn across the parking lot and a Holiday Inn across the road.

Southwest Has a number of flights from MCO to FLL and there are no bag fees. But, I vote with the car rental and the suggestion that you go at least part way. There is a great Homewood Suites right off I 95 in Port St. Lucie.

After a good nights rest you take a leisurely drive to FLL.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you don't want to leave your luggage in the trunk all day the hotel will hold it for you. They have what is called a "bellman's closet" which is just a large, locked closet just for this purpose. Just tip the bellman (or woman) that takes care of your bags. This is standard, all hotels will do this.

Just an FYI in case you don't want your luggage in a hot trunk all day :)

I have to agree with most here. I would not fly. Rent a car either drive most of the way or all of itthe day before. And enjoy your cruise.

I know the expressway to the Detroit airport from our house can have

delays as well. Especially if there is an accident. You could be stuck out in

nowhere and no exits to get off. Me, I would make sure I was near the

port the day of the cruise. That ship could careless if you are late or not.

Can't imagine the mess with cruise lines this week with the hurricane.

Archived