Planning for a world cruise!

ijkh

I paid my Federal and State taxes in advance. I estimated an overage b/c ,if not , might incur a penalty. Also, on the '08 WC, there was a fellow who wore a hearing aid (I do too). Just before Serenity reached Hong Kong his hearing aid malfunctioned. Ok, he thought, He would get a new one in Hong Kong. He did and was happy with it. Eight hours out of Hong Kong his new hearing aid malfunctioned. He had a miserable last half WC. Please make sure you have backups for all necessary items that you HAVE to enjoy your trip.

What kind of personal things make a cabin your own "apartment" for 4 months. The obvious are photos but anything else make it yours?

We do bring a lot of photos which we put on the wall when you enter the room. The magnets are key for that.

And here are a few photos of other friends we bring.

We were on two cruises preceding the 2012 WC plus the WC and one was the Holiday cruise which included New Years Eve so we had a couple also celebrating in our room.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZYEQd3zEUPo/UMOJptEdJGI/AAAAAAAATH4/r_mqVwipff0/s1600/P1090201.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-b5kbjpmrr_4/UMOJs20iZsI/AAAAAAAATIA/N49xSBq9O14/s1600/P1070840.jpg

Remember, always keep a good sense of humor.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

For the 2012 Cunard WC, we used cascading hangers, matching hanging travel toiletry bags that hung on the bathroom door, battery candles for the bathroom and veranda, magnets for the walls, 1 pillow and pillowcase from home, a hanging shoe rack, several universal power adapters to accommodate American plugs in Global cities, 3 power strips so we could plug in what we wanted where we wanted. We downloaded connectifyme for free to share the internet time on several devices, adhered strips of duct tape to the exterior of our suitcases (10 total for 2 people). We brought band aids for blisters and small safety pins for wardrobe security. We found that getting currency from the pursers desk was the most economical, and used credit cards globally. We kept in touch with friends/ family via Facebook, FaceTime, Skype and a travel blog http://blog.travelpod.com/members/gillen2012

Enjoy.

Dr. Kit

We thought we saw/heard it all til on a QE ll World Cruise. One couple boarded with only l Carry-on apiece and their Credit Card..(both retired American Airlines). 'Nuther gal booked a separate adjoining Stateroom for her luggage! I swear...I peeked in. We're Couple #1 wannabe's. Anyone else travel Uber-lite?? Locomotiveman

• 3 weeks later...
Good point about the taxes. We file a six month extension and then when we arrive home we get the paperwork over to the tax lawyer.

Keith

I was wondering what people did for income tax. I was thinking of having my daughter file electronically (my return is really simple - for the last few years I have been able to use the 1040EZ).

Kathi

I personally visited the local IRS office and they instructed me to pay my taxes in advance before leaving. But if I underpaid, I could have a penalty. I did file before leaving on the WC, leaving a slight margin of error (I am not in favor of loaning the govt. money) and everthing worked out fine. When I got back from the WC I was done with taxes and did not have to rush around unlike some of my friends on the WC. This is a personal matter and you have your own circumstances. If you have done EZ form in the past fairly accurately, that may well be the way to go. Why not telephone your local IRS office for their instruction or better yet visit if you are close to one.

I personally visited the local IRS office and they instructed me to pay my taxes in advance before leaving. But if I underpaid, I could have a penalty. I did file before leaving on the WC, leaving a slight margin of error (I am not in favor of loaning the govt. money) and everthing worked out fine. When I got back from the WC I was done with taxes and did not have to rush around unlike some of my friends on the WC. This is a personal matter and you have your own circumstances. If you have done EZ form in the past fairly accurately, that may well be the way to go. Why not telephone your local IRS office for their instruction or better yet visit if you are close to one.

Thanks for the suggestion, bucket. I would never have thought of just contacting the IRS!

I suspend various services while I am away. These include suspending internet, telephone, cell phone, cable tv and I found out I can suspend garbage.

I had my DIL pay my AE bill on line. My accountant filed an extension for both federal and state income taxes.

On the 2012 WC I found out I took to many clothes and shoes. I am going to try to take less next time. You can buy some things while you are away, and you will have a memory of where you purchased the new item. On my last WC I took 4 suitcases and came back with 5. On my next WC I am planning on taking only 3 suitcases. If I didn't need certain items and the amount of medicine I could probably use just two.

Get with your Doctor, Pharmacy and insurance and determine what has to be done to get a 4 month supply of medicine. It is a few phone calls and visits, but it can be done.

I had a world clock that some one gave me from Eddie Baurer. You could just dial in the area you wanted and it would show that time. I believe it has 19 time zones. I really liked it, and I loaned it to a table mate who had to make some calls home.

So, Bucket, have you managed to go on a world cruise and not gain any weight?

Not Bucket, but have done a WC and gained 3 lbs. It really wasn't that hard. Lots of walking and did go to the exercise room. But, I sure didn't deprive myself of all the good food, either!

Karen

On the topic of food, has anybody who has done a world cruise gotten tired of the food on board? I would guess at some point the menus repeat. I am the world's worst cook and eat out frequently so I really can't see this being a problem for me but I have wondered about it.

On the 2012 WC I found out I took to many clothes and shoes. I am going to try to take less next time. You can buy some things while you are away, and you will have a memory of where you purchased the new item. On my last WC I took 4 suitcases and came back with 5. On my next WC I am planning on taking only 3 suitcases. If I didn't need certain items and the amount of medicine I could probably use just two.

twodogmom,

May I ask how many clothes and shoes were too many? I need a lot of evening wear because I am going on Cunard so I won't worry about that. But for day wear - right now I have 18 tops, 4 pairs of slacks, 4 pairs of capris and one pair of shorts. I also have 10 pairs of shoes. I was thinking I should be able to get everything in 3 30" suitcases. I do plan to use the washers onboard. Because I am plus size it is not easy for me to find clothing in foreign ports so I really need to take what I need for 17 weeks.

Thanks,

Kathi

twodogmom,

May I ask how many clothes and shoes were too many? I need a lot of evening wear because I am going on Cunard so I won't worry about that. But for day wear - right now I have 18 tops, 4 pairs of slacks, 4 pairs of capris and one pair of shorts. I also have 10 pairs of shoes. I was thinking I should be able to get everything in 3 30" suitcases. I do plan to use the washers onboard. Because I am plus size it is not easy for me to find clothing in foreign ports so I really need to take what I need for 17 weeks.

Thanks,

Kathi

Kathi,

I think the clothes depend on the person. On my next grand voyage and WC I will take one long black skirt and pants with probably 5 tops for formal nights. I will take a total of 5 pairs of shoes, two black for smart casual and formal nights, 2 pair of birkenstocks and one pair of walking shoes. I'll take a pair of jeans, 2 pairs of black pants, 2 skirts, 2 shorts and one or two capris. I'm not sure what I will take in tops, but I will buy some on the way. One thing I have learned is no one really remembers or cares what you wore, and if it is your second or more times in an outfit. I know the ladies at my dinner table wore fairly plain items and added jewerly or scarves with them. On my last WC I did brown and black and some other colors, so needed more shoes, this time I'll only do black as my main color.

I have free laundry on HAL, so if I send them out one day, I get them back the next. They ruined some of my bras, so I will wash them by hand.

If you are going through major climate changes you will need more cloths. If not you won't need as many. I know this time most of the ports will be cool, but not cold. So I will probably put in long underwear, and layer. In Egypt I will need the capris.

I know on my WC they gave quite a few gifts, so you will want space to bring them home and your purchase. On my last WC I took 4 suitcases and came back with 5. I found out I didn't need everything I took. I do take my own tea, and cans of Sees nuts. They are a popular item. I will do the same next time. That will make space for my purchases and gifts I buy.

I guess what I learned is nobody really cares if you wear the same clothes multiple time. They aren't looking at your feet to determine if you have 10 different shoes. Now I know of one lady who took 17 suitcases, and I saw her in the same outfits. The only reason I remember is that she had brought so much luggage, I thought I would never see her in the same outfit.

Good luck, and don't worry about your clothes, you will be all right.

donna

Kathi,

I think the clothes depend on the person. On my next grand voyage and WC I will take one long black skirt and pants with probably 5 tops for formal nights. I will take a total of 5 pairs of shoes, two black for smart casual and formal nights, 2 pair of birkenstocks and one pair of walking shoes. I'll take a pair of jeans, 2 pairs of black pants, 2 skirts, 2 shorts and one or two capris. I'm not sure what I will take in tops, but I will buy some on the way. One thing I have learned is no one really remembers or cares what you wore, and if it is your second or more times in an outfit. I know the ladies at my dinner table wore fairly plain items and added jewerly or scarves with them. On my last WC I did brown and black and some other colors, so needed more shoes, this time I'll only do black as my main color.

I have free laundry on HAL, so if I send them out one day, I get them back the next. They ruined some of my bras, so I will wash them by hand.

If you are going through major climate changes you will need more cloths. If not you won't need as many. I know this time most of the ports will be cool, but not cold. So I will probably put in long underwear, and layer. In Egypt I will need the capris.

I know on my WC they gave quite a few gifts, so you will want space to bring them home and your purchase. On my last WC I took 4 suitcases and came back with 5. I found out I didn't need everything I took. I do take my own tea, and cans of Sees nuts. They are a popular item. I will do the same next time. That will make space for my purchases and gifts I buy.

I guess what I learned is nobody really cares if you wear the same clothes multiple time. They aren't looking at your feet to determine if you have 10 different shoes. Now I know of one lady who took 17 suitcases, and I saw her in the same outfits. The only reason I remember is that she had brought so much luggage, I thought I would never see her in the same outfit.

Good luck, and don't worry about your clothes, you will be all right.

donna

Donna,

Thanks for your suggestions. I don't mind wearing the same things again but I am afraid of getting so sick of my clothes that I want to throw them overboard! We will have maybe 2 weeks of cold weather and the rest should be warm to hot so most of my clothes are geared for warmer weather but have some clothes I can layer for the cold. On previous WC Cunard has had about 50 formal nights (I think that has come down a little) and the rest are semi-formal or elegant casual so I have a lot of mix and match clothing for nights.

I don't think Cunard gives all the nice gifts that HAL does but I know I will be buying souvenirs and need to figure space for them.

I couldn't fill 17 suitcases if I packed everything I own!:eek:

I also need to look into seeing if Comcast will do some type of deal for the months I am away (I have them for phone, cable, and internet).

Kathi

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard cliques form on the long cruises, true? I am talking ships other than Cunard. Also, Keith;. Did you find any especially wonderful/ interesting ones in any geographical areas? I have a couple hundred magnets.Thanks.

Webster defines a clique as"a small, exclusive group of people"

a coterie is defined as "a group of people who associate closely because of common social purposes, interests, etc."

I prefer that many coteries are formed on any cruise because many diverse people from farflung places come together to enjoy the experience of cruising. People tend to want to associate with likeminded others.

I was solo on the 2008 WC and joined "my own" coterie and hence did not notice cliques, as such (such a play on words). After awhile, I noticed that certain people would be associated with the same other persons but that seemed only natural. I was not personally aware of "cliques" as such.

I leave it others to decide if cliques are formed. Cliques has a very negative connotation which are not always deserved.

I don't think the word coterie is used often and many people use the word clique (with or without) the negative connotation instead. People will make friendships (or already have them from previous cruises) and to an outsider this may look like a negative connotation type of clique.

I agree that you will find like minded people on any cruise but on a WC you get to know them much better. Looking forward to it!

I have heard cliques form on the long cruises, true? I am talking ships other than Cunard. Also, Keith;. Did you find any especially wonderful/ interesting ones in any geographical areas? I have a couple hundred magnets.Thanks.

We are on a World Cruise now so I don't have the benefit of having the magnets in front of me. In many places you can find unique magnets. Sometimes the challenge is getting beyond the normal tourist shops.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

So many great ideas in the previous posts! Two more questions we are wondering about:

1. Which ports would most likely have shops with US branded toiletries to replenish our supplies (eg Listerine, Pantene shampoo, Coppertone Sport sunscreen) Are there major retailers (like Walmart) that have affiliates in Australia, Asia, South Africa, etc where we could stock up? Do they have another store name we should be on the look out for that you have found handy? Hate to pack 4 month supplies of these heavy items! Of course we can manage with local brands if necessary, but it is always comforting to use the familiar.

2. We are mid to late 60's; anybody have problems with yellow fever vaccination? How soon before departure would be wise to get this? Months??

Thanks for any suggestions!

So many great ideas in the previous posts! Two more questions we are wondering about:

1. Which ports would most likely have shops with US branded toiletries to replenish our supplies (eg Listerine, Pantene shampoo, Coppertone Sport sunscreen) Are there major retailers (like Walmart) that have affiliates in Australia, Asia, South Africa, etc where we could stock up? Do they have another store name we should be on the look out for that you have found handy? Hate to pack 4 month supplies of these heavy items! Of course we can manage with local brands if necessary, but it is always comforting to use the familiar.

2. We are mid to late 60's; anybody have problems with yellow fever vaccination? How soon before departure would be wise to get this? Months??

Thanks for any suggestions!

1. We do our best to bring on board with us enough toiletries and other related items so that we do not have to purchase any additional items during the World Cruise. It makes it a lot easier not to spend time in port trying to find the items. We bring most with us and during our pre cruise stay if leaving from the USA we pick up the remaining items before we board the ship.

2. If you need a Yellow Fever Vaccination you should see your own Physician to see whether or not they are concerned that you have this and if they do not think you should have this due to age/medical reasons they can issue a letter indicating this. If they recommend you have one, I would get it sooner rather then later as it is good for ten years.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010