Planning for a world cruise!

ijkh

Okay....all of you experienced world cruisers....here is a question:

Regarding vaccines...in your opinion...what are the absolute must do's before a world cruise? We will not be going to Africa; however, will be in India, Vietnam, Malaysia...to name a few.

I have checked the CDC website...but curious as to what your thoughts are on the actual vaccines....not to be missed?

We had the flu vaccine last week, also shingles and DPT vaccines recently.

Will be checking with our local Health Dept also.

It appears that one can go overboard (no pun intended) on getting all of the vaccines/shots suggested. << ouch >>

Thank you for any info that you may want to offer.

cruise.gal Lu :confused:

The local travel clinic suggested a pneumonia shot and Hepatitis A for me before my World Voyage although none were actually required. You might ask your health care professional if those would be appropriate for you.

So if I understand Keith’s response (which by the way I agree with completely,) not only is it not true that as Scrapnana has mistakenly stated that “You usually cannot apply for visas more than 90 days before your departure date.” And that “we could apply no earlier than 90 days before our January 10th departure” and also it is not true that as wishIwerecruisin' has mistakenly stated that “A number of countries require that you use the visa for your initial entry within a certain amount of time, 90 days being a pretty common time frame. As a practical matter, that translates to not applying before that period”.

I tried to be polite in my previous posting but now I will be blunt. IMHO, there are exactly NO countries that impose any kind of 90 day limit on the obtaining (or after obtaining the required use,) of their tourist visas for US citizens.

This is an urban legend that ought to be put to rest.

Scott & Karen

Well, I have visas in my passport for Brazil and China that are 90-day validity, but apparently the rules have changed since then. So I was wrong that that is a common time frame. I apologize for not checking into current rules. OTOH, it would not be accurate to say there are NO countries with a 90-day limit. Of course, unless you are in the military or have, shall we say, special duties, you probably aren't planning to go to Afghanistan or Iran.

A quick and dirty way to check on what a visa's validity is is to go the the State Department's reciprocity schedule at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country.html/ and look up the country in question. This schedule tells you the validity period for a national of THAT country wanting to come to the U.S., but it's based on reciprocity, so in general it means that we do to nationals of that country what they do to ours, and vice versa, so mostly it will be the same. A tourist visa would be a B-2.

The rules changed a couple of years ago for Brazil. Used to be that you had to enter Brazil within three months of the visa issuance and even though it was a five year visa if you didn't enter by then the visa was no longer good. It changed and now it is a 10 year visa with no date for entry. For China they would issue a visa with a three month entry but even then you could request one that gave you six months to enter.

I have learned that even the state departments information is wrong and even sometimes what is on the consulates site is wrong too. I kid you not.

I have found you can do best by looking at the actual application or getting assistance from a visa service who deals with this everyday.

Rules do change and even what you provide for the application can change from year to year.

Keith

An excursion question for those that have been to Luxor, Egypt:

We will be there early April 2015. Will it be STIFLING hot? If so, would it be wise to book an excursion that includes lunch on a Felucca on the Nile? Or, would it be wiser to book the excursion that will have a "delicious lunch buffet at a luxurious hotel located on the edge of the Nile River"? (one that has air conditioning...for relief).:confused:

Please let me know if this is the correct thread for such questions..also.

Thank you,

cruise.gal :)

An excursion question for those that have been to Luxor, Egypt:

We will be there early April 2015. Will it be STIFLING hot? If so, would it be wise to book an excursion that includes lunch on a Felucca on the Nile? Or, would it be wiser to book the excursion that will have a "delicious lunch buffet at a luxurious hotel located on the edge of the Nile River"? (one that has air conditioning...for relief).:confused:

Please let me know if this is the correct thread for such questions..also.

Thank you,

cruise.gal :)

Hi Cruise Gal, Ive been to egypt about 8 times , probably 4 of those times have been march/april. Its not stifling hot, but it is fairly warm. I defiantly wear light cotton and carry water. In my opinion the fellucca lunch is not worth the trouble. Its very touristy and is not what you imagine. It is basically a tourist boat that will sail along the banks but in the middle of the city. It is definitely cooler because you will be on the water but not worth the experience in my humble opinion. If your lunch is at the Marriott or the Movenpick or Oberoi, I would definitely pick the hotel.

Its the most fabulous country on earth, hope you enjoy it.

If I can help with any o your questions just ask but you may have more luck on the african portion of the boards. regards Roscoe

I enjoyed the river part as there was a gorgeous belly dancer and a whirling dervish, and ice cold beer.

lol...if I knew that was all you were after Estebofarr I would have happily put on a short t shirt and done a few twirls while bringing you a beer....

Wherever you eat' date=' watch for stray bits of lettuce in a sandwich or other directly washed vegetables. I have some pretty ugly mummy tummy memories--and I usually have a cast iron stomach. And what I believe was the offending lettuce was from a meal at a good hotel.[/quote']

AHOY SHIPMATES,

While it is certainly prudent to take all sensible precautions when eating ashore OR on the ship there are some things to keep in mind.

1% of sickness is actually food poisoning ie; your bodies reaction to a particular food (peanuts for example). 10-20% is a food borne illness due to something in the food that you are not used to( DELHI BELLY, MONTEZUMAS REVENGE, BAD ICE , etc in a drink) 80% is due to DIRTY improperly washed silverware,dishes,plates, and your own hands. This can happen any where any time at any level of the social chain when you are out of your normal routine.

How do I know these numbers? I was a dish washer, cook/baker senior cook, Food service Officer, and Inspector of all food on Aircraft carriers in the NAVY for many years and we all know what some sailors do ashore. The obvious thing to do is blame the food on the ship the next day when sick, so investigations are done quite often to find the connection between those affected and find the common link so the problem can be eliminated if cause was from something on the ship. Med. Dept. does this on cruise ships every time someone gets a sore tummy. I cruise a lot and eat most any where BUT try to be CAREFUL

I was enjoying reading this thread and then...it ended. I just started planning for my 1/2 world cruise and am nowhere near ready. Doesn't anyone have anything else to say?

I've kind of jumped in the middle of a thread here so I may sound confused ... We did Aurora 14 WC and loved every day. Sea days were absolute bliss. Managed very well on two large and two medium cases for both of us. Made use of excellent laundry facilities. Only thing my husband wants to buy before Aurora 15 WC are slightly longer shorts (over the knees). Going round many Asian countries they like knees covered when visiting shrines and temples and so as not to cause offence (or be denied entrance) he wore trousers which was most uncomfortable in the heat of the tropics.

I've kind of jumped in the middle of a thread here so I may sound confused ... We did Aurora 14 WC and loved every day. Sea days were absolute bliss. Managed very well on two large and two medium cases for both of us. Made use of excellent laundry facilities. Only thing my husband wants to buy before Aurora 15 WC are slightly longer shorts (over the knees). Going round many Asian countries they like knees covered when visiting shrines and temples and so as not to cause offence (or be denied entrance) he wore trousers which was most uncomfortable in the heat of the tropics.

hey Mum.....glad you hear you mentioned your luggage. Im booked on the 120 day 2016 world cruise of the Queen Victoria and have been reading as many blogs of world journeys as i can, (any more blog suggestions greatly received),

one thing I'm astounded at is the number of suitcases people take. In one case...22! and its not unusual to take more than 6 per person!

Are they pulling our legs?

How many do you guys take and what...may I ask is in your luggage if so many?

Ive travelled usually on a 30 day segment with one suitcase and a suit carrier quite happily, (3 suits, 2 blazers, a kilt, coats shoes etc oh..and speedoes) and I always return thinking that I had shirts that I never wore and can't see any reason why 120 days would be any different.

I'm wondering if i am missing something.

Will I get half way round the world and be resorting to being naked????

Apart from the kitchen sink....what else is everyone taking???

:)

roscoe

Edited by roscoe39

Keep in mind that when you are on for 120 days that you may need clothing for both warm and cool temperatures, that a couple easily could take one suitcase just full of cosmetics and toiletries and often you take a range of clothing because it is easy to become bored with your clothing. I would say on average couples take 6 to 8 suitcases collectively. Some take more and others take less.

Keith

For a 72-day cruise, I brought two larger suitcases and a carry-on. I found I didn't need about 1/3 ti 1/2 of what I brought. But that cruise went through two weather patterns: hot and stinkin' hot. I'm signed up for a WC+ cruise before that, for a total of 121 days. I'm figuring I can cut those things I now know I don't need. But the weather will vary more, so I will be bringing some warmer clothes. So I'm expecting to wind up with pretty much the same: 2 larger and one small.

Thank goodness for shipboard laundry rooms, which actually can be pretty happenin' places.

Keep in mind that when you are on for 120 days that you may need clothing for both warm and cool temperatures, that a couple easily could take one suitcase just full of cosmetics and toiletries and often you take a range of clothing because it is easy to become bored with your clothing. I would say on average couples take 6 to 8 suitcases collectively. Some take more and others take less.

Keith

6 - 8...man I do travel light comparatively... Im used to travelling through the different weather conditions as Im usually travelling from our summer to the UK winter. Maybe I look more disheveled than i thought. Can I ask Keith if you feel there was a lot you didn't wear ? Im going to be really embarrassed rolling up the OPT now with a mere suitcase when all those around me are struggling under a pyramid of luggage!

Rosco

I took 3 large cases and a backpack on my 94 day Queen Victoria cruise this year. The backpack had my drug supply and electronics that I didn't want out of my sight. It also came in handy on shore trips.

When I returned home I thought if there would have been any east way to cut down to two but no. I had extra room when I started but filled them up with purchases along the way.

I wish I was going with you in 2016. Looks like a great trip. I also like QM2 trip around South America.

Don

Rosco

I took 3 large cases and a backpack on my 94 day Queen Victoria cruise this year. The backpack had my drug supply and electronics that I didn't want out of my sight. It also came in handy on shore trips.

When I returned home I thought if there would have been any east way to cut down to two but no. I had extra room when I started but filled them up with purchases along the way.

I wish I was going with you in 2016. Looks like a great trip. I also like QM2 trip around South America.

Don

hi don ...I think the itin is brilliant...fortunately we call into NZ half way round..I can have a wardrobe change if I'm bored with my clothes...though can't imagine what I could change them over too.....

Call me stubborn but Im going to aim for the same luggage distribution...if in doubt ill just wear my kilt every day.

Bit concerned about the removal of the privileges they are talking about...what do you think???

roscoe

hey Mum.....glad you hear you mentioned your luggage. Im booked on the 120 day 2016 world cruise of the Queen Victoria and have been reading as many blogs of world journeys as i can, (any more blog suggestions greatly received),

one thing I'm astounded at is the number of suitcases people take. In one case...22! and its not unusual to take more than 6 per person!

Are they pulling our legs?

How many do you guys take and what...may I ask is in your luggage if so many?

Ive travelled usually on a 30 day segment with one suitcase and a suit carrier quite happily, (3 suits, 2 blazers, a kilt, coats shoes etc oh..and speedoes) and I always return thinking that I had shirts that I never wore and can't see any reason why 120 days would be any different.

I'm wondering if i am missing something.

Will I get half way round the world and be resorting to being naked????

Apart from the kitchen sink....what else is everyone taking???

:)

roscoe

I think it is easier for a man. You can wear the same suit or tux again and again (maybe with different ties). Women tend to think that people will remember that they have worn the same dress multiple times (very few people would actually notice). Women also tend to want more shoes to match outfits as well as handbags (day and evening).

I took three large suitcases on my World Voyage. I did wear everything but definitely could have gotten along with less (more mix and match). I was worried that I would get tired of clothes but that didn't happen. I read somewhere that the average woman wears only 20% of what's in her closet (don't know what it is for men). Next time I take a world cruise I am striving to take only two cases.

As for 22 cases, I have not met anyone who would actually own up to that but I do know a couple who took 19. I saw these in person so I know it is true. This couple likes to dress for the theme nights and a World Voyage on Cunard has a number of these. On the other hand, two of the ladies at the dinner table had each brought only one suitcase for the 118 days.

My conclusion from this is take what you are comfortable with. Some people need more clothes and "stuff" than others. (And I wish I was going again in 2016!)

For anyone who has not done a very long cruise just keep in mind that you can easily get tired of what you wear.

Don't worry about what others take. Figure out what works for you.

I remember on a world cruise we sat with a couple often for a cocktail reception before most formal nights. Towards the end of the cruise the woman turned to Anne Marie and myself and said you probably have noticed that I wear the same long black skirt on all of the formal and just change the top between two tops. That worked for her. She was happy. On the other hand, my wife took five formal gowns. That worked for her. She was happy.

I like to wear a sports jacket every night even on casual nights. A few other gents do. And many do not. So, I take more sports jackets than most. I am happy to do that. Others are happy with their decision.

So, that is sometimes why one couple or one person has more or less luggage than someone else.

Also do not underestimate the amount of items that you need in terms of meds and toiletries. Some people just get them as they need them. So they need less space in their luggage. We bring everything we think we need even if that means disposing of items at the end of the cruise.

Keith

I took 3 suits, black, blue and gray. I could switch slacks and jackets so I had many combinations. The black worked on formal nights with a tux shirt and tie. Being on Cunard, a jacket was required every night.

I never really noticed how often someone had on the same outfit unless it really stood out, and usually not for the good. One guy had a jacket that looked like it was made from material from a couch my mom had back in the fifties. :eek: You did notice when guys wore their kilts.

Don

I am allowed much more than I think I can manage by myself. Only flying one way.

I will have to try on, lay out and pack what I feel comfortable with.

We sailed once, for 21 nights, with a woman who wore the same black knit skirt, top and jacket every formal night and no one noticed or said a word. (Or cared).

I have to carry my own products as I am allergic to so many things and don't want to take a chance.

Thank goodness for luggage trolleys at airports. 😊

AHOY SHIPMATES,

I can resist no longer. I've been reading this thread with interest and have seen some very good posts and some extreme views also. DW and I have done 5 complete 110-112 day World Cruises since 1997, and seen a great deal of change during that time. We have done all on HAL but many of our friends have done them on both CUNARD, and HAL. We have cruised on the QE2 etc. also.

The FORMAL nights are more formal on CUNARD. That requires more clothes and a "stuffier" atmosphere. Holland still has dress code (laxly enforced) and you will see tuxes. We have taken a large fold over suit case for the dress up stuff, 2 large suitcases for regular clothes, 2 large soft dragalongs, a shoulder bag each and a fanny pack each, and done well. (We do have free laundry service, but DW still prefers to do her delicates herself about every 10 days. The ships laundry will destroy most normal clothes on a 4 month cruise. When using the ships pool or hot tub, you MUST rinse the bathing suits out thoroughly after each use do to the chemicals used in pools/tubs.

Take 2 bathing suits, and I recommend a $6.00 pair of the water moccasins I also take a second pair (all black) for formal nights after my feet have swollen from the extra salt in the food and the long hours at night at the poker table. NO ONE ever notices them and I'm comfortable.

I could write a book but no on would finish reading it. bottom line

YOU are on there for a long time and spent a lot of $$$$ to get there.

In about the third week you may begin to get in a rut. Look in the mirror and evaluate your schedule....eliminate a few and try some new activities, and you will discover some new things. Keep smiling but avoid those who dont make you smile.

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE.