My Pedicure Nightmare

smoothdancer

So I think, the ladies at the mall that do pedicures, no big deal...

Certainly I can do this myself.... Especially because I am a competition dancer and my toes are always looked at, I get pedicures often and can get expensive...

So I go to Sally's and buy all the stuff the girls at the mall have...

I soak my toes in hot water in the tub and begin...

Well my toes hurt from the abuse, I have no nail polish remover and I have nail polish where it should not be.. I have to get up extra early in the AM to go to the drugstore so I can get the nail polish off my fingers.... Less my co workers think husband took a knife to me with all this red stuff on my hands....

I am tired but I cant go to sleep because trust me a blow dryer on your toes does not work and if I go to bed now they will be all smugged in the AM...

Is it worth the 20 or so and tip I pay at the mall... absolutely... Throwing out my Sally's bag of stuff and going to the mall each week instead...

GEEZ!!!

I just put a coat of polish on my toes about 30 minutes ago and then a top coat of Seche Vite. And, I will be getting in my bed under the covers within an hour and won't have any smudge marks in the morning. This top coat is amazing. The key is to wait about 2 minutes after polishing before you put the top coat on. It's self leveling, too, so it smooths out the polish and makes your nails so shiny. Love this stuff! it's fairly thick and you wonder how it dries like it does, but it really does. And OPI takes forever to dry, but Seche Vite on top of it dries it before you know it. I buy mine at Trade Secret at the mall or online.

On the other hand, the first time I got a pedicure I ended up with an ingrown toenail because of the way they filed the edges.

The second time, they trimmed both my and Tom's cuticles until we *bled*.

Two attempts, two stupid injuries? I'm done, I can paint my toes perfectly well myself.

Just like haircutters, there are good and bad manicurists.

The mannicurist I go to has been doing my pedis for almost 10 years now, never a bad one. I have a standing appointment every 4 weeks year round, never have any chips and never any smudges. I won't go to the places where they do both at the same time or I would question sanitary procedures. You can't tell sanitation from appearance of the shop, it's the tools they use.

If I did them myself I'd have polish up to my knees. It's worth the expense for me.

There are several quick-drying topcoats on the market, and as one person mentioned Seche Vite is one of them. Revlon has one, as does Poshe and Out the Door. You don't have to wait forever before going to bed anymore. As for the smudging, that's just a matter of practice and patience in cleaning up.

Just like haircutters, there are good and bad manicurists.

The mannicurist I go to has been doing my pedis for almost 10 years now, never a bad one. I have a standing appointment every 4 weeks year round, never have any chips and never any smudges. I won't go to the places where they do both at the same time or I would question sanitary procedures. You can't tell sanitation from appearance of the shop, it's the tools they use.

Exactly. My rule is never go to shops that use anything but individual bowls that may be sanitized between customers, never those chairs with whirlpool tubs or fish in the water!

We have a shop here that individually sterlizes all instruments in an autoclave and they are in sealed packages. New files, etc., for each customer. That's all I would consider.

You can pick up some nasty infections from some shops.

I've only had a few 'real' pedicures, which I enjoyed. I usually do my own, but I hate doing it. I'm kind of clumsy and messy and for some reason I just hate all the hassle.

I've taken to paying my granddaughters $5 to do the job; they're at the age when they like a little cash and I get a pedicure that's at least no worse than what I do on my own.

I usually paint my toenails myself. I have ingrown big toe nails and sometimes the professionals make it hurt and bleed. I rarely even do anything to my cuticles...just base coat, 2 coats of color, and top coat. I do it over an evening when I have lots of time and allow 20 minutes between coats. It lasts for a few weeks, then I do a little touch up and it lasts for another few weeks. I buy everything in drug stores, nothing fancy.

Exactly. My rule is never go to shops that use anything but individual bowls that may be sanitized between customers, never those chairs with whirlpool tubs or fish in the water!

We have a shop here that individually sterlizes all instruments in an autoclave and they are in sealed packages. New files, etc., for each customer. That's all I would consider.

Absolutely.

This is the sort of ship I run, in addition to all the above my my clients have their own boxes too.

The pedicure chairs are perfectly safe if sanitized correctly but a lot of places don't do it properly and cut corners putting the health of clients at risk.

Also shaving of the hard skin with a razor is illegal in some states, certainly Florida. The dangers of an unsanitary foot bath and cuts on the feet with these razors is unthinkable but there are hundreds of places still doing it!

Even though I have the professional products and equipment at my finger tips I still get my nail tech to do it as nothing beats someone else pampering your feet, especially the massage:D

BTW nail polish can take upto 8 hours to dry correctly, another reason to use the beloved Shellac!

Where I go they use disposable bowl liners, no whirlpool tubs for me. If I were to go to a salon with those tubs, I'd cancel the pedi. Too much of a risk not knowing if they cleaned the filtration system and just merely sprayed and wiped out the bowl.

I haven't had to purchase an emery board in years, the state of CA only allows one time use, so she gives them to me after that use. I keep them everywhere just in case, my car, at work, my nightstand etc...

I haven't had to purchase an emery board in years, the state of CA only allows one time use, so she gives them to me after that use. I keep them everywhere just in case, my car, at work, my nightstand etc...

This isn't quite correct as you can buy reusable/sanitizable nail files. Yes regular ones need to be disposed of or given to the client.

As long as the reusable ones are sanitized properly this is OK in Californian establishments as the CA state board allows this.

Well I'm done with my nail salon and looking for another one. First, since I'm not cruising for a year, I've taken off my nail tips and growing out my own. Second, with Winter months approaching, I will be doing my own pedicure, and then come summer, I will have the pros do it. Then a few days before we sail on the Jewel, I'll find another salon (with recommendations) and have them do my nails and pedicure. Each time I went to my old salon, I got a young lady who only wanted to talk and ask me personal questions! Then by the time I got home and took a good look at my pedicure I realized it was "jacked up". I don't mind paying for a good mani & pedi, but I want to make sure I have a good job done.

Well actually after I got the red nail polish off my hands, toes ended up looking pretty good!! Thanks for the tip on the fast drying top coat.

Then, next day after this adventure I took a dance lesson with a new instructor.

I had on an open toe dance shoe. He said to me that with all the dancing I do he could not beleive how great my feet looked!! So I am thinking, I may continue to do this myself after all.

This isn't quite correct as you can buy reusable/sanitizable nail files. Yes regular ones need to be disposed of or given to the client.

As long as the reusable ones are sanitized properly this is OK in Californian establishments as the CA state board allows this.

Yes there are nail files made of metal or stone that can be disinfected, what I was referring to is emery boards.

Yes there are nail files made of metal or stone that can be disinfected, what I was referring to is emery boards.

You can actually purchase emery boards that can be disinfected. Sounds strange that they would be disinfect-able I know, but some of them can be submerged too.

Saying this, I am all for single use or items kept just for that client.

Also shaving of the hard skin with a razor is illegal in some states, certainly Florida. The dangers of an unsanitary foot bath and cuts on the feet with these razors is unthinkable but there are hundreds of places still doing it!

I had some hard, painful callouses on my feet and went to a podiatrist. For a $20 co-pay, he removed all the callouses. I don't know why I waited so long. Try it!

I had some hard, painful callouses on my feet and went to a podiatrist. For a $20 co-pay, he removed all the callouses. I don't know why I waited so long. Try it!

I just use a foot file like a smooth large emery board I guess with a bit of OPI softener product after the shower, keeps them in good condition in between the monthly pedicure.

My Gran used to use a Chiropodist all the time when I was growing up. I saw one a few years back when I had chilblains and it was a very good experience.

Well actually after I got the red nail polish off my hands, toes ended up looking pretty good!! Thanks for the tip on the fast drying top coat.

Then, next day after this adventure I took a dance lesson with a new instructor.

I had on an open toe dance shoe. He said to me that with all the dancing I do he could not beleive how great my feet looked!! So I am thinking, I may continue to do this myself after all.

See.....you CAN do it yourself.:)

I find that a professional pedicure can be delicious but seems like I always end up doing it myself because I wait too long and then can't get an appointment when I need it.:o

Another thing you could try is some of the quick dry polishes. Sally Hansen, Maybelline and Revlon all make them. I've had good luck with them on my toes with a top coat of a regular drying one. I've even had good luck with the quick dries on my finger nails.

Archived