Etiquette question - Piano Bars

kcscrapper

What is the "etiquette" at a Piano Bar -- specifically a cruise ship piano bar? I've seen them, but hesitated to approach not knowing how things are done. Is purchasing a drink required, tipping for a specific tune, buying the "piano man" a round, singing along --- it appears to be more of a fee based venue than an entertainment venue.

So ... what is what at a HAL Piano Bar?

What is the "etiquette" at a Piano Bar -- specifically a cruise ship piano bar? I've seen them, but hesitated to approach not knowing how things are done. Is purchasing a drink required, tipping for a specific tune, buying the "piano man" a round, singing along --- it appears to be more of a fee based venue than an entertainment venue.

Go - listen - laugh - try and stump the Piano Man - no rules - no requirements that I know of. I have only seen a tip "jar" one time, but I tend to tip anyone that is providing a service to me. I was on an Alaskan cruise one time and the poor guy was getting slammed with crazy requests and had fallen into a bad round on stump the Piano Man, he finally said that the crowd was too much for him and he finally had to shut the place down. I think he knew that they were making up songs, but I don't have any proof.

No you are not required to buy a drink. We have seen many people just sit and listen to the music.

No you are not required to buy the piano man a drink. Many already have glasses of ice water sitting handy to them.

No you do not have to tip for him/her to play a certain tune.

One time there was a group of us that were there each night at a certain time and at the end of the cruise we all got together and gave him a tip.

Does "stump the Piano Man" = request a song he doesn't know??

Is the "proof" in the singing of the song?

So do you equate "entertainment" at the Piano Bar to a "service being provided" and tip the Piano Man?

Each "Piano Man" (some are women ;)) will have his own style of entertaining. Some want to engage with the passengers, and banter back & forth. Others want to sit there and play, while the passengers sit there like a respectful audience. Obviously, some are just more fun than others, and what constitutes "fun" can vary from one passenger to another.

In any case, you will quickly figure out what style of "Piano Man" you have on your cruise. To me, the etiquette is to go along with that style, ask for what you want, and if you don't find what you're looking for---move along to another lounge.

Personally, I love to play "Stump the Piano Man", but see it as a game where he plays back, and I learn as many songs as he does, and we both come out winners. If he doesn't want to play the game, I don't press the issue.

There's never a need to drink if you don't want to; frequently I order ice water.

I don't recall ever tipping the piano player at the end of the cruise. It would be a huge violation of HAL rules should there be a tip jar out. I have given standing ovations, though. Those do seem to be appreciated.

One is never required to buy a drink or tip an entertainer on a HAL cruise. All entertainment and social venues are included with the fare.

As much as some people like to challenge the piano player with some obscure request, I would rather hear them play something that they perform well.

igraf

Stop by. If you like what you see and hear, stay awhile. If not, move on. It's your cruise, only you can decide what you may or may not like. If you like it, you might want to enjoy a drink with your entertainment.

Stop by. If you like what you see and hear, stay awhile. If not, move on. It's your cruise, only you can decide what you may or may not like. If you like it, you might want to enjoy a drink with your entertainment.

Typhoon and other poster have it right, but if it does turns out that you like what you hear and spending some time in the piano bar, yes you can buy the man/women piano player a drink, and yes you can tip them either that night or at the end of the cruise. Also some of them have CD's that you can buy, and if you chose to do that, that's great too. It really is your cruise and your choice.

One piano man was so awesome, people were putting $$$ on his piano the first night.

On the second night, he told everyone that HAL did not want people to do that.

So at the end of the week, we tipped him - and I wrote him a note about how much we enjoyed his music.

I had one piano man say that they were not supposed to drink which is why they have the water close by. I have enjoyed most of the piano men and women on the HAL cruises.... never felt like I had to buy a drink for myself to justify being there. Their styles really differ and sometimes it just depends on what you are in the mood for.

Susan

• 8 months later...

I'll field this one from one perspective: the one from behind the piano.

My job is to enhance your cruise. For some people, that's knowing your favorite song. For others, that's getting a whole room to sing along. For others, it's getting you to mix and meet the others in the lounge, and hopefully foster some lifetime friendships. For others, it's a sheerly performance-based venue, and people want world class singing, piano playing, or both. Others rely in their humor and their trivia to keep people engaged. Mostly, I think the players are chosen after careful scrutiny of how people are responding to them, and "that special something" they have to offer may vary, from player to player, or even from ship to ship, in the way the same player interacts with a various demographic (age group, nationality, activeness or passiveness).

On Holland America, 1) You do not need to feel ackward enjoying the piano bar, if you don't want to have a drink. Of course, the staff will be friendly and polite, whether you drink or not. Having said that, vacations are let-down-your-guard time and splurge time, so it may be the right time to let the Captain do the driving and enjoy beverages more than you do on land. But no, especially in the first hour of the night during "theme shows", if you don't want a cocktail, do not feel you should avoid the piano bar, just because it is a "lounge". You're welcome!

2) The players should articulate in a friendly, non-abrasive manner, when they are and aren't taking requests, and how to make a request, so you don't feel awkward, asking at the wrong time, or not asking at all, when you could have.

For myself, I start at 9pm with a theme show that is formatted, and changes every nightly, never repeating, even on cruises of 50+ days. I explain that following the "cabaret show", I will put my song menus on the piano, and take requests out loud, no need to write on napkins. I do this so that everyone sees me being fair to all parts of the room, and to keep the number of requests I've taken down to about 45 minutes, after which people think their request has been forgotten, and tend to leave, disappointed. My rule of thumb is to try to take 8 requests at a time (which usually winds up being about 10), run those, then do the next set. I jot down the 8 - 10 requests on a yellow legal pad (on my iPad), then, take them in any order I think keeps the people most engaged, and allows me to vary fast to slow, oldest and newest material.

As for tipping, Holland America does not have a tip jar on the piano, so tipping is not a pressurized situation, where you will come to feel you must tip, in order to hear your favorite song. If it is in your nature to tip pianists at such places, you can put it directly into his hand, or on the piano, either when your song is played, or at the end of the evening. You should not, however, let whether or not you have a bill in your pocket determine when and if you will attend the piano bar. You have already paid for this entertainment. Tip when and if you feel good about it, at the end of the night, and the end of the cruise, or not at all. I've run the gammit from cruises with very generous guests, to cruises where they expressed their appreciation endlessly, but not via gratuities. Do what you feel, but don't anguish over it.

Whatever you do, try not to make a snap judgement on a quick walk-through about the player, as he might be playing something he knows is not a huge crowd-pleaser, but that has meaning for 1 particular guest. Give a few songs, or a few walk-throughs, to see if he/she tickles your fancy. You might be hoping to hear a swingy tune from the 40's that the performer might love to do for you, but you walk through during "Don't Stop Believin" and think, "Aw this kid doesn't know MY music. Yuck!". Try not to be that way. Your piano bar performer is trying to engage everyone of all ages. You might have loved the next song.

Every player should be friendly, accessable, have a great sense of humor, and be happy to chat with you and learn what you like. If you are getting there early to grab that same seat around the piano, that piano player should know your name and greet you every time they see you, because you are that most cherished thing, a PIANO BAR FAN!

In etiquette, I would however not try to walk up in the middle of a song and try to engage the player with discussion or your request, such that he has to stop singing and make note of your request. That is when I have seen some players get a little testy. But, a good performer will let you know when and how to make requests, and keep the party going all night. Thanks for asking, and enjoy your piano bar nights!

Archived