October cruise to Bermuda on The Explorer - Picture Review

mpcaruth

Wow !! Great Pic's !! Thanks for posting .. Bermuda is diffidently on my bucket list !

Thanks! Bermuda WAS on my bucket list too. I turned 40 this year, and managed to experience many of my bucket list items including whitewater rafting and Bermuda.

Bermuda Day 1 continued

We took the ferry from Hamilton to Dockyard. I really enjoyed the ferry trip from the top deck with the nice breeze and beautiful scenery. Extremely hungry, we rushed to the Windjammer, only to find it is closed from 5:00 – 6:30. As our last few cruises had been Carnival, we were not used to this. We had planned to return to the ship for a quick meal and shower before out 6:30 sunset glass bottom boat excursion. Disappointed that we couldn’t get a real meal, I went to the Café Promenade for pizza and not-so-fresh egg salad sandwiches.

Prior to the cruise, I had pre-booked the Sunset Pirate and Cocktail cruise through Royal Caribbean. It was $50 per person, which seemed cheap compared to other cruiseline excursions. I give the excursion a 4/5. We really enjoyed it, and definitely recommend it.

The glassbottom “pirate” boat was docked next to the Explorer:

P1070011.jpg

For some reason most of the excursion passengers grabbed a seat underneath. We stayed on top and enjoyed the sea air and gorgeous coastal scenery. We also got to chat with the captain up top.

P1070014.jpg

We did not actually get a good view of the sunset, as it was too cloudy, but we did get a nice tour of parts of the island.

P1070035.jpg

P1070036.jpg

The “pirate” captain provided a little history, pirate storytelling, and coral reef education during the sunset cruise.

After it was dark, we headed toward a reef system and a sunken ship. The reef and sunken ship were not extremely impressive, but the experience was still very nice. If you have seen the coral reef in Belize, you will understand why the Bermuda reefs are not so impressive.

Underwater lights turned on for viewing through the glass bottom:

P1070048.jpg

P1070051.jpg

To be continued...

A few more photos from the Pirate Sunset and Cocktail cruise:

P1070055.jpg

P1070057.jpg

A picture of the sunken ship penetrating the water surface.

P1070059.jpg

I apologize for the quality of the photos, but night time motion shots are challenging.

On the ride back to the dock, Rum Swizzles were available to all. My husband and I each had 2 very strong rum swizzles, while we chatted with the captain on top.

When we get back to the ship we head directly to the cabin and crash. What a long and AMAZING day!

To be continued...

Edited by mpcaruth

Bermuda Day 2

I woke up early and decided to explore the Dockyard while my husband slept in. It was sprinkling rain, but the trolley was still going. I was one of only 8 people riding the trolley. I went to the Clock Tower Mall to purchase some souvenirs. The Mall was empty and shopping was calm and quiet. Please take note, shopping in the evenings is elbow to elbow crowded. I took a leisurely walk back to the ship, as the misty rain had stopped.

Clock Tower Mall

P1070257.jpg

P1070076.jpg

P1070078.jpg

P1070080.jpg

P1070255.jpg

Our magnificent hotel for the week!

P1070083.jpg

To be continued...

We're considering this cruise:) Loving your review and pictures, thank you for sharing!

Thanks. I have become a cruise junky and I love to read other's picture reviews, so I try to share my experience in return. I hope it helps others in planning their trip.

Stung...but Man o' War stings are actually fatal sometimes. Did he have to go to the hospital? (<jk> or did you pee on him?) I've read that works as well.

This thing was on the beach, and looked like a kids plastic toy. My DH didn't know what it was and tried to pick it up. At the last moment I suddenly remembered seeing it somewhere on the web, and screamed "Don't touch!", but it was late. Creature stung him from toe to lip with its very long tentacle. We were scared and didn't know what to do... but thankfully nothing really happened except some pain and numbness for several days.

Bermuda Day 2 – continued

After Breakfast in the Windjammer, we headed out with our snorkeling gear to catch the ferry to St. George. It looked like it was going to rain the whole day, but since the temperature was warm, and the water was warm, we figured snorkeling would be fine. Fortunately, it only misted rain off and on while were in St. George.

Here are some pictures from the ferry ride (notice the Explorer and NCL Star in the background):

P1070087.jpg

P1070091-1.jpg

P1070097.jpg

Bermuda has very little agriculture, but we saw a small dairy farm.

P1070096.jpg

P1070101.jpg

To be continued…

Edited by mpcaruth

Bermuda Day 2 – continued

We walked around St. George for a little while and then headed up the hill towards Tobacco Bay. The streets in St. George were narrow, and most did no accommodate sidewalks. The walk to Tobacco Bay was nearly a mile, but we probably walked 2 miles since we strolled down side streets.

P1070241.jpg

P1070103.jpg

P1070106.jpg

P1070107.jpg

The walk down to Tobacco Bay: not the most beautiful, but what a nice relaxing place and good snorkeling.

P1070110.jpg

P1070111.jpg

To be continued…

Bermuda Day 2 – Continued

Tobacco Bay

We snorkeled here for nearly two hours straight. It was so nice to snorkel in calm waters and to see lots of fish and coral. I even saw a group of squid. They were about 5 feet from me, and it took me a while to figure out what they were. The creepy large single eye gave them away.

P1070112.jpg

I took many photos and videos underwater here, and I think I may have overdone it, but hey, how often to I get to snorkel?!? I must add, if you go to Tobacco Bay during the off season (October) the snack shack and snorkel rental hut are closed. There were numerous cruisers who we met here that had been counting on renting snorkeling gear. I can only imagine their disappointment. Yes, it can be a nuisance to carry our snorkel gear around, but it has proven worth it time and time again.

P1070128.jpg

P1070134.jpg

P1070136.jpg

I caught a picture of my husband snorkeling:

P1070142.jpg

P1070143.jpg

To be continued…

I think I was on the same cruise as you. Explorer Oct 14-21. The water as very rough [compared to the usual Bermuda waves] and there was a ton of seaweed on the beaches.

It was our second trip and we had more fun than the first! You have inspired me to work on my review.:)

No, our cruise was October 7th - 14th. I would love to see your review. It's always nice to see another's perspective.

And a few more Tobacco Bay photos...

A squid is actually in this photo, though it is hard to tell. He is the long narrow guy in the bottom middle.

P1070166.jpg

Do eels shed their skin???

P1070188.jpg

P1070201.jpg

P1070228.jpg

P1070220.jpg

All the snorkeling at Tobacco Bay made us super-tired and thirsty, so we packed everything up and walked downhill back to St. George, where we stopped at the White Horse restaurant and had a couple of Dark-N-Stormy ‘s under the covered patio.

hh.jpg

P1070238.jpg

P1070243.jpg

P1070242.jpg

After our drinks, we got in line for the return ferry to Dockyard. The line was long again. There was some sort of issue with the ferry and we had to get a replacement ferry to take us. Fortunately, we got on the ferry just before it reached capacity. This is probably the only issue I had with Bermuda: the ferry system did not seem adequate for the demand. The ferries only run every hour to every hour & 45 minutes, depending on the time of day. I highly recommend that if you plan to use the ferry system, that you get in line early, and that you never plan to take the last ferry of the day!

To be continued…

No, our cruise was October 7th - 14th. I would love to see your review. It's always nice to see another's perspective.

One difference is that I did not do any snorkeling. Huricane Raphael came through the night before we arrived. The ferries did not run to St. George's the first day and we found the water to be too murky to see anything.

I was looking at your snorkel pictures saying, "darn, I should have gone to Tobacco Bay." I have been there before and know it is the best place for snorkel. But, felt it would not have been worth the trip this time. I was wondering how you got these great shots.

I am looking forward to the rest of the review. :)

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Sea Glass Beach

We went back to the ship and grabbed a snack before heading out to Sea Glass Beach. I had printed off directions, both walking and via bus, from the Cruise Critic Bermuda forum. The walking directions said it was about ¼ mile from the Dockyard. Well, that’s only true if the Dockyard extends about ¾ a mile past the Clock Tower. I pulled it up on Google Maps, and it is 1.4 miles from the cruise ship to Sea Glass Beach. We had decided to walk, since the directions said only ¼ mile. It ended up raining on us, and my husband was not too happy. I wanted the sea glass for my 10 year old daughter who collects beach treasures and seashells. We were unsure if we were in the right spot to take the path down to the beach. It had rained on my directions and they were now unreadable. But we finally found it.

Some had taken the sea glass and made mosaic benches and paths.

P1070244.jpg

P1070245.jpg

This is it: the entire beach!

P1070246.jpg

We were afraid we were trespassing, until we saw a sign that indicated the beach was for the public to enjoy. We grabbed about a quart of glass pieces and headed back to the main raod to catch a bus. Well, that darn bus drove right past us waving in the rain. So, we walked the long trek back to the ship. We were exhausted! I had spent the morning walking around Dockyard, the afternoon walking around St. George, two hours of snorkeling, and then this 3-mile sea glass adventure. I had placed the sea glass in my backpack, and the ship’s scanner picked it up. The first attendant was not going to let me bring it on board, but the second reluctantly let me board with it, because “it was not sand”. I talked with another lady who had the sea glass confiscated. Apparently, the rules are not hard and fast. My advice: put the sea glass in your pockets!

My daughter loved the sea glass, the the effort was worth it (at least I think so, maybe not my husband). My daughter cleaned the sand off and placed the pieces in a decorative jar. She is planning to put a small string of white Christmas lights in the jar to illuminate the colors.

To be continued...