Suite services for older travelling companions

jota

Hi,

We have cruised with our older family members before but now they feel their travelling days may be over due to their very limited mobility. They manage to potter around at home but walking long distances to MDR is probably beyond them these days (wheel chairs would be unacceptable to them , they are not ready for that).

If they book a full suite does the concierge service mean they can Full MDR meals in their suite each night?

What exactly would the concierge service mean to them?

I am thinking of booking them a suite above ours on Voyager OTS at the front lifts so we are above the cafe for lunches and coffee.

Thanks

if you book them in a Grand Suite or above, they can order directly off the dining room menu and eat in their suite.

The problem is that unless you request a dining height table....they will be eating off the coffee table or bar.

Concierge service would allow them to have specialty coffees all day, (cappucinno, etc.) in the lounge, free drinks between 5:30 and 8:30 PM and the following listed benefits:

Priority check-in

Personalized attention throughout the cruise with complimentary Concierge Club service on select ships

Reserved prime seating in the main theater for entertainment shows, where available

Priority tender tickets on select cruises. (Tender service is provided when smaller vessels are necessary to reach shore in locations without docking ports large enough for cruise ships.)

VIP pool deck seating, where available

Full breakfast, lunch and dinner dining room menus available for in-room dining

Private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurants on our Voyager and Freedom Class ships

Mattel® board games available to order for in-room entertainment for the kids

Complimentary luggage valet service

Luxury spa bathrobes for use onboard

Complimentary pressing service on formal night

Priority departure with exclusive suite* departure lounge featuring continental breakfast

Priority embark/debark sound good. Can't see them using the lounge , I will check it's location.

If they chose an owners suite would they have a dining height table? Sounds like the owners suites have an extra room.

Priority embark/debark sound good. Can't see them using the lounge , I will check it's location.

If they chose an owners suite would they have a dining height table? Sounds like the owners suites have an extra room.

I don't know. We haven't had one personally...and I haven't visited one recently on the Voyager class.

They might have a table with chairs. Someone on here will know.

They will have a bidet...I've always wanted to try a bidet. :D:):D

Well there you go...Carol knows. :-)

Don't think renting a scooter for the ship would be possible if you are saying it's a third party company supplying the scooter. The cruise sails from Sydney And I haven't heard of it.

Given the info above I think they could cruise, will talk it over with them.

Don't think renting a scooter for the ship would be possible if you are saying it's a third party company supplying the scooter. The cruise sails from Sydney And I haven't heard of it.

Given the info above I think they could cruise, will talk it over with them.

http://www.scootaround.com/cruise/index.htm

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/?gclid=CKzsjfnEoLMCFe1xOgodVxUA1Q

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/mobilityImpairment.do

Do they use walking frames?

I took my Dad last year at age 86. we took a walker and he had no trouble. In fact he is now booked for Dec 2012 and Sept 2013. In high seas he was the most stable person on the ship!

The suite was great for him.

We ordered what ever we wanted for breakfast delivered - not the normal breakfast menu.

You may not want the Concierge Lounge during happy hour - but Dad used it most of the day. It is always quiet, had wonderful views and could always get a great seat in peace. as well as the coffee tea etc.

The services of the Concierge may come in use for many things you havent thought about.

If they go - I would say definitely go in a suite. Just having someone with great power on the ship (ie the Concierge) looking out for you is awesome.

Good luck. Convincing Dad that he could travel at his age was a brilliant thing!

Raina

Canberra

thanks for all the advice, I'll discuss an owners suite them, I think getting through airports could be the tough part.

That's the easy part. DH has difficulty walking long distances due to breathing issues. The airport will always use either a wheelchair or cart to transport him to and from the gate. Just let them know.

I also vote for scooters and an OS. Besides the dining table, I find the high tubs challenging (just got a new hip a few weeks ago so next time should be better), so the separate stall shower is great.

OP, I'm in the same situation as you. I'm taking my mom on Freedom during Thanksgiving week this year. This is my mom's last vacation as it is getting too hard for her to walk. While mom is 86, I'm still in my 40s so I can help her a lot. However, this is what I did: I booked an Owners Suite and it is located right by the elevators and concierge club (while expensive, I figured it was her last vacation so I wanted to treat her to something special; she doesn't know yet that I booked a suite btw). The location is great. She just walks out to the elevators and we just go a few decks down to the MDR. Or we can go one deck up to Windjammer, Portifinos or Chops. We have learned that having a cabin on or near the hump has us close to most of the things she will go to on the ship as mom refuses to use a wheelchair or scooter on a permanent basis.

To get on the cruise ship, there is wheel chair assistance in the cruise terminal. We filled out the online form on RC's website to make sure they know that we will need a wheelchair to get onboard and also to notify RC that there is someone in our cabin that has mobility issues in case of an emergency. Last time at Port Canaveral, we got her a wheelchair first, they got her through check in and then brought her to the Windjammer. I think how they handled getting her onboard at PC was the best experience so far. Then after WJ, mom walks w her cane to our cabin.

The other posters are correct in that you can order off the menus if you are in a suite. While I know my mom will make every effort to be in the MDR, it's a great option in case she doesn't feel up to it. I highly doubt it will happen but I'm glad we are set up in case it does.

There are also Easy Tours that are offered with those that have have mobility issues. Once you book and the shore excursions are available on the RC website, check them out. But make sure you contact RC in advance if you are going to go on them. All the info will be under the shore excursion description.

At the airport, we use a wheelchair too. I hand over our luggage to the porter at the curb and he calls for a wheelchair. We fly out of Chicago O'Hare and mom knows there is no way she could ever walk to the gate. The airport is just too big.

I hope all of you are still able to cruise. As you can tell from the above, we are going to try it one more time.

Karen

If they have trouble getting around, think about booking them into an accessible suite. I got my mom into an accessible Junior suite and it was as large as a grand suite....the bathroom had it's one phone. There was not step up into the bathroom either. There was also not bathtub (due to having a roll in shower) but the room and balcony were huge. Contact the special needs department for the required paperwork. You don't need to be in a wheelchair to qualify but you do need to have mobility problems.

Be aware that a Grand Suite has a bath with the shower over the bath. The bath is quite high and could cause them problems getting in and out to have a shower. It may be better to go for a suite with a separate shower cubicle.

Oh yeah BIGGEST issue I had with my suite as it was VERY hard for me( I have arthritis and nonexistent knees and hips) If it were not for the towel bar on the end wall I never would have been able to get in and out.

sounds to me like they would never actually be okay with leaving the room at all.. if so then why bother going? no matter what there will be walking and standing around.. if they cannot enjoy the rest of the ship I cannot justify the expense of a suite.

if you travel with your family have you considered a family suite? We just got off the Enchantment and have also been on Explorer and Celibrity Summit using family suites. Enchantment and Explorer you get 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - one with a tub and one with a shower, Explorer had a dining table and chairs enchantment only had a dining table on the balcony which had a table and five chairs, which we used several times for breakfast and dinner. You can get a full dining room menu from room service. Lots of space concerge lounge is very nice with coffee and little snacks also available but we rarely used it.

Archived