**LIVE from the Miracle - Our 10/28/12 nine day (now) Cruise**

NeptunesGoddess

I'm not sure if "being a newbie" affects how your body reacts to motion.

I wasn't a newbie, and I was on an NCL cruise that got caught in a really bad storm (50 ft waves & 50 mph winds). I didn't get sick, but I was terrified. My husband wasn't terrified, but he was sick.

The ship looked like "a ghost ship", even at meal times.

I swore I'd never cruise again, but I did. However, about 2 years ago we were "no-shows" because of an impeding hurricane (no insurance...no compensation).

Just the thought of being in a storm....well, I didn't want to compound the problem.

I agree. On our first cruise, all 8 of us were newbies! We hit some rough seas. 4 of us were fine, the other 4 weren't. My husband turned as grey as his suit, and retired to our cabin. There were sickness bags everywhere. Made for a very quiet ship - but we had a blast anyway!

NeptunesGoddess - thanks for posting...I hope it wasn't too bad for all of the pax last night. Am curious to hear more! My friends Mark & Lori are on this cruise with you....if you go to the Halloween party you'll recognize them as Hippies!

Since Carnival wasn't able to bring on new provisions, I hope there's enough liquor at the bars to last until the ship reaches PC! :eek:!

I watched the sailaway on the webcam...just gorgeous! I hope you have a blast. :).

Good morning America just had a taped phone conversation with the captain of the Miracle. They are in pretty rough seas right now for another 8 hours or so

That ship must be right where the worst storm bands are right now.

NeptuneGoddess, thanks for sharing with us, we were on the Miracle 10/13.

Is the ship full? How did they contact you to leave a full day early?

I am tracking the ship position here:

http://www.cruiseastute.com/ship.php?ship=Carnival%20Miracle

Give us a Halloween party report please.

Have a wonderful 9 day adventure.

Oh Joy what Fun. The latest bouy information for the Nags Head area shows 40kt wind and 20 foot seas. And lets not forget that the Miracle sailed early without her load out of food and beveages hence the stop in Port Canaveral. Yeah and Carnival lists that as two Fun Days at Sea. CARNIVAL MIRACLE – 10/29/12 DEPARTURE NOW SCHEDULED TO DEPART SUNDAY 10/28/12 The port is expected to close at 6:00PM on Sunday. In an effort to continue with the cruise and keep safely away from the storm, the cruise will now depart on Sunday, October 28. Check-in is scheduled from 2:00PM to 4:00PM, and sailing is set for 5:00 PM from Pier 90. Due to the short notice, we were unable to reschedule the delivery of our supplies (food, beverages, etc.) that was planned for Monday. Unfortunately, we will need to change our itinerary so that we can receive our provisions at the first port. Below is the revised itinerary: Day Port of Call Arrive Depart Sun New York, NY 5:00 PM Mon Fun Day @ Sea Tue Fun Day @ Sea Wed Port Canaveral, FL 7:00 AM 6:00 PM Thu Nassau, The Bahamas 11:00 AM 8:00 PM Fri Fun Day @ Sea Sat Grand Turk 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Sun Fun Day @ Sea Mon Fun Day @ Sea Tue New York, NY 8:00 AM

Hey everyone, sorry it's been awhile since I last posted.

Thank you all for the best wishes. We have been sailing through 15 - 18 foot swells (according to the captain's announcements). It has made for some rockin and rolling, but , honestly it hasn't been that bad. Lots of movement but it is a really fun way to bond with other passengers. You would be walking along and lose footing suddenly and see other passengers doing the same and we just look at each and begin to laugh because we all look drunk even though we aren't. Although, I am sure there are some people who are tipsy, you just can't tell them apart from any of us, as we are all walking "drunk".

Hubby and I were watching "Good Morning America" and lo and behold, they were talking to our captain on the phone, just as Jimbo stated. That was pretty cool.

We have not experienced any motion sickness at all...these patches work wonders. I haven't seen any guests getting sick, so if there are any, they are staying in their cabins...which brings to another question that was asked about the amount of passengers on the ship. It does seem a bit less crowded than previous cruises. But then, that could be because some passengers are in their cabins, I don't know.

There will be pictures coming, just haven't had the time to get them uploaded. Hubby is at a Blackjack tournament and I am on my way to do some trivia. So we have been enjoying our extra day a lot.

I know this might sound strange to some of you, but we actually have liked the movement, then again, we aren't sick. The ships is mostly listing side to side...although from out aft balcony we can see it is also moving a bit front to back, we haven't been feeling that direction much.

Anyway...keep the questions coming and...

stay tuned. :)

Oh Rah to you!!!! We have "sailed around" 2 hurricanes and we are the same as you, never had a problem with sickness and kind of enjoyed the rocking and rolling! GOOD LUCK to both of you in your games today and ENJOY YOURSELVES! You will have some wild and crazy stories to tell!

Ok, I'm new to all this stuff and cruise my first cruise in April.

Is 20 knots fast?

I googled this:

One knot is how many miles per hour?

[/url]

Slightly greater than 1.15mph

A knot, or nautical mile (6076 feet), is about 15% longer than a statute mile (5280). So, if you're traveling at a speed of 20 knots in a motor boat, you simply multiply 20 X 1.15 to get 23 mph. To go from mph to knots, multiply mph by about .87 to get knots.

One Knot = 1.1507794 MPH (sailors would say 1.15) One MPH = 0. 86897624 Knots (sailors would say 0. 9, but use 0.87 for quick pencil/paper work

Archived