What name would you give the new HAL ship?

ASIWISH

Rather than sell, IMO Carnival would do better to internally transfer those vessels:

Statendam, Ryndam and Maasdam to Cunard: After a few months each of extensive maintenance/renovations on their internal HVAC/Plumbing systems and renovation of the Loft/Club HAL areas as exclusive Queen's Grill dining rooms, they could serve well for the next 5-10 years as small cruiseliner alternatives to the Queens - rename them Caronia, Carinthia and Carpathia, put them on extended itineraries and charge the fares necessary to make them profitable while offering the service that makes the high fares justifiable.

Very interesting idea. If something like this were done to these ships, I could get interested in Cunard again.

I was too young for that line when I sailed her, but am ready to appreciate the Cunard atmosphere now.

Rather than sell, IMO Carnival would do better to internally transfer those vessels:

Statendam, Ryndam and Maasdam to Cunard: After a few months each of extensive maintenance/renovations on their internal HVAC/Plumbing systems and renovation of the Loft/Club HAL areas as exclusive Queen's Grill dining rooms, they could serve well for the next 5-10 years as small cruiseliner alternatives to the Queens - rename them Caronia, Carinthia and Carpathia, put them on extended itineraries and charge the fares necessary to make them profitable while offering the service that makes the high fares justifiable.

Veendam I would ship off to P&O Australia or Costa for the South American or Asian market.

This harkens to the days when Cunard sailed the "Green Goddess" (Caronia), a vessel for the "idle rich". Projecting the social consequences of current patterns of wealth distribution, the days of the "Goddess" may well have returned.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

And now let's head back to the real world

There is little or no demand for smaller, older, ships IMO especially for Cunard which has three beautiful newer ships two of which at 90 tons are already close to being considered smaller ships in these days of behemoths of the sea. They only recently sold a beloved older ship to Dubai

If those ships are too old or whatever for HAL, they'll be sold to a lower level regional line or scrapped.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

IF they spend heavy money on them, great. They are lovely ships.

But, if they were to do that, why not keep them in the HAL fleet and put the money and work into them?

The small ships still appeal to a large market of people and if the ships got the deficiences addressed, let HAL have them for more years.

I know it always comes down to money and Seabourne guests would expect to pay higher per diems than the vast majority of HAL guests so Statendam could operate at more hope of 'decent fares' under Seabourne than it can for HAL.

I (mostly) agree with you. :)

There is little or no demand for smaller, older, ships IMO especially for Cunard which has three beautiful newer ships two of which at 90 tons are already close to being considered smaller ships in these days of behemoths of the sea. They only recently sold a beloved older ship to Dubai

If those ships are too old or whatever for HAL, they'll be sold to a lower level regional line or scrapped.

YOu are probably right.

There is little or no demand for smaller, older, ships IMO especially for Cunard which has three beautiful newer ships two of which at 90 tons are already close to being considered smaller ships in these days of behemoths of the sea. They only recently sold a beloved older ship to Dubai ...

That's the market those ships were originally designed for - However Carnival Corp bought Cunard which outranked HAL - and the slide began...

...Cunard is the only existing brand where these ships could reasonably fit and earn profits again.

Aronson also doesn't care very much for selling ships. QE2 only went because it had lasted so far beyond it's service life (39 years is a long career for any Transatlantic Liner: 25 is typical - 35 is stretching it), and was hopelessly outranked in size, accommodation and amenities by far lesser vessels...

...and because Dubai had the cash.

Oceania started with the R ships and has done very well.

Affluent people will pay for exceptional service, if only because they can. I suspect there is room for a "Green Goddess" or two out there. Cunard seems the logical line to move in this direction.

Time will tell.

My first choice would be the "Spaarndam" & second choice the "Granddam"..Another suggestion would be the "Delftdam"

Oceania started with the R ships and has done very well.

Affluent people will pay for exceptional service, if only because they can. I suspect there is room for a "Green Goddess" or two out there. Cunard seems the logical line to move in this direction.

Time will tell.

Agree, Oceania started with the "R" ships & did very well, but their new Marina now seems to be popular..However Oceania has very few kids cruising on them..

Unfortunately, most of the affluent are in a different age group than our children & grandchildren.. I believe HAL is trying to encourage more of the younger generation to cruise & that generation seems to believe that "bigger is better";)[/

Betty

Before they came up with Eurodam (picked as the winner of a naming contest), HAL ships have always had traditional names in their now 139-year history. Providing no ships are sold prior to this new vessel going into service in 2015, the following traditional, used at least once, HAL names are out there:

Didam II - pronounced Dee-dahm

Dubbeldam II - pronounced Duhbbel-dahm

Edam V - pronounced A-dahm

Leerdam III - pronounced Lehrdahm

Obdam II - pronounced Op-dahm

Potsdam II - Only name without a "Dutch connection"

Schiedam II - pronounced Skeedahm (very hard to pronounce the Dutch "sch" for non-Dutch speakers w/o spitting;))

Spaarndam III - pronounced as in "Spa"-urn-dahm

Werkendam II - pronounced Bear, take away the B, substitute a W - cun-dahm

Time will tell

HOOVERDAM would be good as we have the "spotless fleet." On a more serios note I suspect HAL willsell either the Veendam or Statendam and this new ship would adopt the name of the sold ship.

Before they came up with Eurodam (picked as the winner of a naming contest), HAL ships have always had traditional names in their now 139-year history. Providing no ships are sold prior to this new vessel going into service in 2015, the following traditional, used at least once, HAL names are out there:

Didam II - pronounced Dee-dahm

Dubbeldam II - pronounced Duhbbel-dahm

Edam V - pronounced A-dahm

Leerdam III - pronounced Lehrdahm

Obdam II - pronounced Op-dahm

Potsdam II - Only name without a "Dutch connection" I can imagine that quickly being changed to "Putz -dam". :D

Schiedam II - pronounced Skeedahm (very hard to pronounce the Dutch "sch" for non-Dutch speakers w/o spitting;))

Spaarndam III - pronounced as in "Spa"-urn-dahm

Werkendam II - pronounced Bear, take away the B, substitute a W - cun-dahm

Time will tell

IF they are able to sell Statendam and/or Veendam, I agree the new ship will be the next generation of that name. All along we've heard "Grand Statendam" floated around as the next name. :)

We'll see.

I'm eager to see some deck plans, some info about new and different and what they are adding.

Archived