World Cruise 2015

Keith1010

I am truly sorry to have caused alarm with my broad statement that both C's & B's were 25%.

No problem Becky. Having been rudely awakened to the fact that all are not equal when it comes to World Cruise booking, you had me wondering there if that also applied to pricing!!:D

I'm not getting far with my plan as my preferred location category is closed, same location on a higher deck is three fare categories up, which is a no go, so looks as though I am stuck in limbo land until those who take preference have been accommodated. If I haven't lost the will to go by then, hopefully Nikki will have a clearer picture of what really is available for booking when I'm onboard the Symphony in December..

Anne

I understand how Anne and Andrew feel about "the long line" uncertainty for their desired cabin. But it is my understanding that Crystal is merely following a long established protocol for assigning WC suites. I have known for years that Crystal waits for the current WC pax to sign up before going forward with assignments. Only b/c I was on the 2008 WC and learned of the process. But it is well known that WCers are only a portion of the total capacity and that Crystal (many feel) depended on the segmenters to make the WC a success. Now, perhaps that has all changed...supply and demand may have changed significantly. Andrew supplied some insight in an earlier post and I think Keith caught the significant change back in March and posted then on CC. To me, this is mind boggling. However, I do not see 1,000 full WCers in 2015 or anywhere near that number. (I can believe that Crystal is trying for it). At this time, I think both Anne and Andrew will find cabins to suit them if they hustle.

It will be interesting how Crystal handles this. I really think this sudden surge of requests has greatly surprised them. I know when I called my TA and they put through my request for 2015 Crystal had no system up to handle it. Obviously now they do and are taking in all comers.

I hope Anne and Andrew will be happy with their arrangements with Crystal.

Bucket

Thank you for posting your understanding. It is truly frustrating to read posts that say 'but it's always been this way', when clearly that was not common knowledge and what has always been is of no help whatsoever to those of us who now find ourselves in the 'we want to go but all we can do is pay up and wait to see if we can' basket, because others get to book ahead of us..... Reminds me of a lesson we were taught as children - two wrongs do not make one right!!! As far as my situation is concerned, I will already be on my way to Auckland for the Holiday cruise by the time the 'wait list' stateroom availability becomes clear so if I haven't lost the will to go by then I'm going to have to work with the onboard booking consultant to see if there is anything left that fits my preferences.... I suspect 'compromise' is going to enter into this equation, which is hard to live with when I may have been able to get my preferred choice had I have been allowed to book and pay when the cruise theoretically opened for bookings..

If Crystal practice is to give some clients preferential booking rights up to the beginning of December then a note in the fine print saying 'open for booking, or goes on general sale from mid December' would have saved all this unpleasantness, which will inevitably leave a nasty taste regardless of the outcome..

Anne

Hi Anne, I hope that all of this works out for you and that you are able to take the world cruise. As the one who mentioned that this practice has always been in practice as long as I can remember I am sorry that was frustrating to hear. I only mentioned this so you and anyone else who asked about this would not think this is something that is being done for the first time this year.

If you end up finding a category that you book but prefer something else see if you can get on a wait list for the other category. I have known people who have done that.

Keith

Hi Anne, I hope that all of this works out for you and that you are able to take the world cruise. As the one who mentioned that this practice has always been in practice as long as I can remember I am sorry that was frustrating to hear. I only mentioned this so you and anyone else who asked about this would not think this is something that is being done for the first time this year.

If you end up finding a category that you book but prefer something else see if you can get on a wait list for the other category. I have known people who have done that.

Keith

Keith - Just have to put it to the back of my mind for a couple of months and see how it all pans out. Never fear, I'm not about to shoot the messenger however, now the cat is out of the bag so to speak hopefully Crystal will rethink this policy so others do not suffer the same consequences in the future....

Anne

I just updated the Future Cruising Thread and show that 22 Cruise Critic members are now booked on the 2015 World Cruise. Overtime this number will fluctuate as some many cancel and others will book or for some who have already booked they will be asked to be added to the list. To put these numbers in perspective, right now for the 2013 World Cruise I show six people in total booked plus two others from CC who had not yet asked to be added to that list booked for the full 2013 World Cruise. There are many others booked for individual voyages with a sufficient number of people for the M&M parties.

If anyone else would like to be added to the Future Cruising Thread for either the Full 2015 World Cruise or for one or more segments please be sure to either post here or on the Future Cruising Thread.

I have also started roll calls for each World Cruise segment of the World Cruise and one for the full World Cruise. While I realize they won't be very active right now I am sure their activity will build with each passing month.

Pat's post reminded me of the day that the itinerary was first announced on the Serenity in late March many months earlier than ever before. I remember as we exited the Galaxy Showroom that Nikki had copies of the itinerary literally fresh off the press and I think about an hour after it was announced that I saw Nikki to put down a wait tlist for this voyage and she already said a handful of people had already stopped by so congrats to Pat and Ray for being the first to see Nikki. I think a few days later when we had our next Meet and Mingle Party that some of us were already talking about how we had asked to be wait-listed for this voyage.

I think each year the itineraries offered are very interesting and exciting. We love not only the places one visits but the many speakers brought on board with expertise in the area the ship sails who along with the reading we do ahead of time put a lot into perspective before we set foot on land at each port of call. With that said, speaking for us, the 2015 World Cruise itinerary looks to be the best ever.

I hope more and more member of this board end up booking one or more segments of this cruise or the entire cruise. It truly is an adventure/journey.

Keith

The good news is that if you got that wait list back in early April you should be fine.

I knew this World Cruise would likely be very popular because of the very unique itinerary and was trying to encourage others to do wait lists sooner rather than later.

My guess is that maybe five rooms would be associated with someone booking the 2015 World Cruise who have booked a previous World Cruise and for that World Cruise would be first time Crystal Cruisers and the odds would say maybe one PH would be associated with that.

I hope it all works out for you and look forward to meeting you both.

I am thrilled at the number of people from Cruise Critic who are considering this sailing either doing one or multiple segments or the full world cruise.

Keith

Keith, we've met! First at our mutual friends' home in Charleston and again on the ship....You are always most helpful!

Keith, we've met! First at our mutual friends' home in Charleston and again on the ship....You are always most helpful!

Oh my gosh. Now I know. :D

It took awhile but the light bulb just turned on.

Thank you so much for the nice comments.

Keith

I was looking at the Single Supplements from the WC2014 Brochure so thought I would list them since some have asked. It is wise to have your TA confirm this with a Crystal Cruises Reservation Agent.

These are for the full WC.

Category Percent

C 125%

A/B 135%

AA 150%

PH 175%

PS/CP 200%

For an individual voyage the brochure showed the following

Category Percent

C 130%

A/B 140%

AA 150%

PH 175%

PS/CP 200%

Keith

Better yet, I just went to the on line 2014/2015 brochure (you can also order it hard copy) and for the 2015 World Cruise it noted the single supplement percentages that I posted above.

Still always wise not to make any assumptions and to have your TA confirm this with Crystal Cruises.

Keith

I got an email from one of the Crystal Cruises travel agents after I put down my deposit yesterday, and she indicated that the dispatcher would begin the stateroom assignments in mid-December this year.

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

As they clear these you will be notified. The first time we booked the WC we had our room assigned to us by around that same time frame as well.

Keith

So far the following are the people who I show with either bookings or wait lists for the 2015 World Cruise which I have also reflected on the Future Cruising Thread. If anyone wants to be added please let me know and the same goes if anyones plans changes and needs to be removed. This applies to both the full World Cruise and individual segments. Just post here or on the Future Cruising Thread or both.

It is amazing that 24 people are listed for the full World Cruise and I know we will see several more booking one or more segments.

We still have 27 months to go so there will be lots of updates over the next 18+ months.

Keith

World Cruise 2015

============

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - Keith1010 (Keith/Anne Marie)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - Goldenage (Sharon)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - SnoBirdcruiser (Pat/Ray)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - Mpetropo (Mary/Helen)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - Liv4cruzin (Becky)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - Buckerook (Joe)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - Katrina’s Grammy (Celeste/Bill)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - Rrobbins (Bob/Karen)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami – Sage

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami – ijkh (Andy/Ilene)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami – Missi Queen/Crown) Imperial (Allan/Helen)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami – Bucket

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami – brlight (Pat/Bill)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami – pennysfbay (Penny)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami – makaha (Candy/Ed)

WC (Three Segments) - Travel2Learn

F.Y.I. my husband Andy is a regular tennis player. I am sure he could be converted to a paddle tennis player easily. How different from regular tennis is it? He by the way has lower expectations of this cruise because of our last cold, bumpy, lower than usual experience.

I fully expect to have the time of our lives this sunny, warm weather exciting fun trip. I realize it might be typhoon season. Is there any reason to worry about seas or weather on this sailing? I am a little gun shy after our last crossing.

It has all the makings of the high point in our lives. Now to try and keep my expectations in check. That said if we can't be thrilled on a Crystal WC then...

F.Y.I. my husband Andy is a regular tennis player. I am sure he could be converted to a paddle tennis player easily. How different from regular tennis is it? He by the way has lower expectations of this cruise because of our last cold, bumpy, lower than usual experience.

I fully expect to have the time of our lives this sunny, warm weather exciting fun trip. I realize it might be typhoon season. Is there any reason to worry about seas or weather on this sailing? I am a little gun shy after our last crossing.

It has all the makings of the high point in our lives. Now to try and keep my expectations in check. That said if we can't be thrilled on a Crystal WC then...

A lot of tennis players enjoy the Paddle Tennis Courts.

On the Serenity there are two and we get a good turnout, particularly in the afternoon on sea days.

Major differences are:

-Actual court is smaller.

-Some air is taken out of the tennis balls using a pin given the smaller size of the court.

-You use a Paddle Tennis Racked rather than a Regular Tennis Racket (the ship has rackets but many of us bring our own. If he doesn't own one he could find one on the internet site. But many of the strong players do well with the ship provided paddles.

-Unlike tennis the server (singles) or in doubles (serving team) cannot charge the net until the other team has returned the ball the first time. The receiving team cannot charge the net either until they themselves have returned the ball.

Other than this, pretty much everything else is the same as tennis.

We mainly play doubles unless we are short players.

The good news is if you make a mistake you can blame it on the wind, seas, or a multitude of other things so we always have a good excuse. :D

Keith

ijkh....I see my partner Keith has answered your question regarding the general difference between tennis and paddle tennis. If your husband is an avid tennis player, he will have no problem picking it up (the main adjustment being the shorter paddle and the "deader" ball). My husband and I have played a lot of tennis over the years, and although we were too busy walking throughout Italy on our first Crystal cruise, we have really enjoyed batting the paddle ball around on our last few (and with Keith on our Panama Canal voyage this past January!). As Keith mentioned, there are paddles provided for those who don't have their own....the ones we saw on our 1st cruise were pretty heavy, but they have since been replaced on both ships by ones we felt were just fine (although I have seen some pretty fancy personal ones that make it easier to impart spin!).

Congratulations on your booking...it looks to be a fabulous adventure! We are still giving it some serious thought, and I see we would have the bonus of celebrating a birthday and our wedding anniversary on the Serenity if we join you! Say Hi to Lake Oswego for us--I met my husband when he lived in Portland years ago :)

Caryn

I have to add that Caryn is a "world class" partner and Stan is a "world class" opponent when we played. They proved on the court that in the end it is talent not what type of racket you use that is key to the game. :D

They are both great out on the court, and very nice and thoughtful as well.

Keith

Caryn, your analogy of College is really true in many ways. Being with so many people that you get to know so very well does have that feel of college, along with other aspects such as attending lectures and even the special programs offered such as college credited computer class, memoir writing and the like. But, like you say Crystal takes good care of everyone.

One of the very few items we have to take care of does actually have that college feel as well and that is the laundry room. Thank goodness though we don't have those dormitory showers because I am too old for that. :D

Keith

Ohhh, Keith, I forgot about the laundry and dormitory showers! And I still don't know how I gained those freshman pounds on that cafeteria food! :eek:

Question: on the WC are the enrichment courses such as language, piano, and computer repeated every segment, or is there a continuous lesson plan for the length of the WC?

Caryn

Caryn, some of the computer classes are repeated since many guests come on for one segment but they also supplement that with more classes some of which are not repeated. They also offer a special college credited (not that most of us need credit) course for those who are on for the entire cruise. But each segment has a different curriculum so if you come on for one segment you can take that one and not feel that you are missing anything but that is not for college credit Not sure if that will be offered on the 2015 WC as I am not sure how many years they will offer it but if not I am sure some other topic. Most years they have offered a memoir writing class. One could take it just for one segment but if you took it for the full world cruise there would just be more time to write more stories. The language class tends to offer one that builds on each segment as well as a basic one. Not sure on the piano but not sure whether it will be offered.

They bring on a Pilates Instructor rather than having one of the fitness directors teach the class. Sometimes they have one instructor on for the entire time. Other times they have different ones.

For Yoga they try to have one person and last year and this year have a couple teaching it.

So you can count on them offering some programs that build on previous ones and in other cases just more diversity in programming.

There is typically more enrichment offered in terms of a greater number of lecturers and lectures and more entertainment and other programs.

Keith

Thank you Keith for your insight. I would especially enjoy getting into a routine with Pilates and Yoga. I realize there is a balance needed between keeping a flow for those who are on for the entire voyage, and yet not leaving out those joining for a segment or two. Sounds like it is accomplished.

Now back to my Sunday laundry :)

We have another person added to the list.

In total 25 people on the list for the full 2015 World Cruise and one member booked on three of the six World Cruise segments.

Keith

World Cruise 2015

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - Keith1010 (Keith/Anne Marie)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - Goldenage (Sharon)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - SnoBirdcruiser (Pat/Ray)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - Mpetropo (Mary/Helen)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - Liv4cruzin (Becky)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - Buckerook (Joe)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - Katrina’s Grammy (Celeste/Bill)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami - Rrobbins (Bob/Karen)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami – Sage

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami – ijkh (Andy/Ilene)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami – Missi Queen/Crown) Imperial (Allan/Helen)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami – Bucket

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami – brlight (Pat/Bill)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami – pennysfbay (Penny)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami – makaha (Candy/Ed)

January 15th WC (5302F) Miami to Miami – cruisecrossings (Shirley)

WC (Three Segments) - Travel2Learn

Archived