World Cruise 2015

Keith1010

Is this the largest number of cc members ever listed booked for a full world cruise?

If so Crystal should be patting themselves on the back for making the best decision ever on itinerary, pricing and timing of this grand voyage. Nicely played Crystal. It sure does appeal to us.

Lots of time to explore the entire Southern hemisphere except India Maldives/Seychelles and Antarctica. We will save them for another time.

ijkh, It is absolutely the most we have seen. Since it is so far out a few may change their mind but there are others who I suspect will be booking too.

I believe this year there were around 13 from Cruise Critic who did the full World Cruise, plus several who did one or more segments.

Keith

Caryn, your analogy of College is really true in many ways. Being with so many people that you get to know so very well does have that feel of college, along with other aspects such as attending lectures and even the special programs offered such as college credited computer class, memoir writing and the like. But, like you say Crystal takes good care of everyone.

One of the very few items we have to take care of does actually have that college feel as well and that is the laundry room. Thank goodness though we don't have those dormitory showers because I am too old for that. :D

Keith

Pretty, pretty funny, Keith! :D

Ricki

If this is college then I hope I graduate with WC honors. Honestly my retirement is scheduled almost immediately prior to the cruise. I tell my colleagues I am graduating from work. This analogy works pretty well. Now what I will do after the WC is the real question but there are so many possibilities.

koko's Caryn I sure hope you guys do decide to join this happy group. It would be a delight to cruise with you. I showed Andy the information about the tennis. He wanted to know what level tennis you play. He said his is between a 3 and 3.2. I have no idea what that means. I am a 0 at tennis. I can ski any mountain though that skill will not be called upon on this trip.

ijkh....thank you, your enthusiasm is contagious! The 2015 WC--- what a wonderful "graduation present" from your current career!

I played tennis in college, and then played professionally for a few years before starting my coaching career.....didn't make enough to bring my family and friends with me, but I was fortunate to travel quite a bit within the US and abroad. I think Andy will really enjoy paddle tennis, and I will trade you tennis lessons for ski instruction :D

I remember Keith describing Olympic games during this Year's WC, which sounded like tons of fun!

So, we will either be sharing your enthusiasm on World Cruise 2015, or living vicariously through what looks to be a fun group!

Caryn

First two photos will give a sense of the Crystal Serenity Paddle Tennis Courts. This is my own racket as unlike Caryn I need all the help that I can. I am convinced that Caryn could beat me blind folded.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-iL4Xa0FlWj0/UHyoxdyRybI/AAAAAAAASuI/Mu8DRiZc3Tg/s1600/P1090052.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HmfQC50fjhg/UHyovLgORWI/AAAAAAAASuA/TKB7DCYCE8U/s1600/P1090046.jpg

As part of the World Games one morning the court was used for Men’s Basketball followed by Women’s Basketball.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eO4oqXKlteI/UHyotOiVnxI/AAAAAAAASt4/oS7ZRx41lPU/s1600/P1080992.jpg

A view in the very early morning when most people are asleep except for a few such as yours truly. Courts are lighted so you can play at night.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_nzqGqNsJic/UHyoqqMTwxI/AAAAAAAAStw/LOFACVPq0eU/s1600/DSC_1310.jpg

Keith

First two photos will give a sense of the Crystal Serenity Paddle Tennis Courts. This is my own racket as unlike Caryn I need all the help that I can. I am convinced that Caryn could beat me

Keith

I am still learning the rules...I keep wanting to rush the net after I serve! Not only is it nice to have 2 courts on the Serenity, but also not having the net ceiling (like the Symphony has) is more enjoyable :)

Anh, that's what I can get Stan for Christmas--a custom paddle! Along with a WC 2015 booking number :D

ijkh....thank you' date=' your enthusiasm is contagious! The 2015 WC--- what a wonderful "graduation present" from your current career!

I played tennis in college, and then played professionally for a few years before starting my coaching career.....didn't make enough to bring my family and friends with me, but I was fortunate to travel quite a bit within the US and abroad. I think Andy will really enjoy paddle tennis, and I will trade you tennis lessons for ski instruction :D

Caryn[/quote']

Happy to trade the ski lesson for tennis. Andy is the one who says he needs the tennis lesson. He said to relay that he will be on your B team. ;)

I sure hope you can join us. This is going to be fun.

Ilene and Andy

Ilene and Andy....We planned our first Crystal cruise in 2010 for our 1 year delayed 20th anniversary, and it was a dream trip! We have since taken two Mexican Riviera voyages with family, and then our bucket list Panama Canal voyage this past January. Each one has been different, and special. I can't imagine how unique a World Cruise with Crystal would be!

And for the record, Stan is the better paddle tennis player in our family :)

What sort of internet packages have historically been offered to WCers? I just want to know for my budget. I do expect things to change over the next 2 years. I know technology may be different.

How about phone service? Anyone have a really great world telephone? We do have skype but that is not allowed on Crystal's internet. It crashes the system by report. How does facetime work? Iphone service good world wide? I know we will need a dual band phone. We are due for new phones prior to the cruise. It just may be time to pick accordingly.

Ilene, there is normally a plan offered for those who use a lot of Internet minutes. For this length cruise it would likely be in the neighborhood of $2,000 and provides enough total minutes to give an average of three hours a day. The vast majority of the people just purchase the regular plans but it is offered for those who want a very large plan.

We use iPhones with AT&T as the carrier and they pretty much work from all of the ports. FaceTime would require wifi on both ends and you need Mac devices on both ends.

Some people will just Skype from port.

We make use of e mail as much as possible to minimize phone calls.

Keith

I'm still fretting over the numbers (as good as they are, they're still a stretch for me so soon after WC '12). So, just out of curiosity, I sent an email to my temporarily assigned Crystal Agent to inquire about joining the ship in either Lima or in Auckland. Although, I knew it would not produce a drastic reduction, I was still surprised at the quotes.

I asked for sgl. occup. C/O quotes w/o insurance, but including all taxes. So, keep in mind there would still be 1-way air to take into consideration (& most likely hotels).

Segments 2-6 (#5303-5307) would cost MORE than the full WC: $1,440.00 more + air to Lima, Peru

Segments 3-6 (#5304-5307) would cost $7,295.00 less than the full WC + air to Auckland, NZ

Doing a quick search for 1-way fares from sw FL to Lima or to Auckland (at 2013 rates) range from $1132 - $1869. This tells me that I MIGHT save (at the most) $4K by joining the ship in Auckland for the final 4 segs. Probably not worth considering. But I am looking at all options & trying to be realistic. And it sucks!

I'm still fretting over the numbers (as good as they are, they're still a stretch for me so soon after WC '12). So, just out of curiosity, I sent an email to my temporarily assigned Crystal Agent to inquire about joining the ship in either Lima or in Auckland. Although, I knew it would not produce a drastic reduction, I was still surprised at the quotes.

I asked for sgl. occup. C/O quotes w/o insurance, but including all taxes. So, keep in mind there would still be 1-way air to take into consideration (& most likely hotels).

Segments 2-6 (#5303-5307) would cost MORE than the full WC: $1,440.00 more + air to Lima, Peru

Segments 3-6 (#5304-5307) would cost $7,295.00 less than the full WC + air to Auckland, NZ

Doing a quick search for 1-way fares from sw FL to Lima or to Auckland (at 2013 rates) range from $1132 - $1869. This tells me that I MIGHT save (at the most) $4K by joining the ship in Auckland for the final 4 segs. Probably not worth considering. But I am looking at all options & trying to be realistic. And it sucks!

Becky

I know exactly what you're going through (and how painful it is). I spent a couple of evenings last week following the release of the fares doing exactly the same exercise. Unlike you, I have to figure in the cost of long-haul air for myself and my luggage regardless of how much or how little of the voyage I take, but the loss of amenities coupled with the increased single supplement applied to multiple segments, as opposed to that for the full voyage, negated any savings I came up with. In the end I decided it had to be all or nothing so I committed to all and will see where that takes me when mid December rolls around and I find out whether there are any of my preferred category staterooms left for booking or not!!!

Anne

With the college references previously thrown around I am suggesting roomates! ;) I will be the hall RA or dorm mother in case anyone misbehaves. In all seriousness I truly understand how both tempting and challenging this trip can be. We have a special savings program at our house. I would sooner do without some silly waste (shopping and fancy holiday gifts this and next year) in order to sail the world. Please play the lottery for now.

With all sincere wishes all of you to join usm

Ilene

I am so happy to hear that you have volunteered to become a dorm mother on the 2015 WC. By accepting, you have agreed to lead us through several responsiblities. First of all, of course you will be in charge of the twice weekly block party. Also, you will be involved in organizing a twice monthly social event. In addition, there is the mess to clean up after these activities. In your favor though is the fact that there will be no curfew during your tenure (lucky you). Welcome aboard!.

;) I promise no toga parties.

Toga, Toga, Toga..........

Please make one exception if................

Bruce McGill who has been on one segment each the past two years or one of the other actors from Animal House is on in 2015. They sure know how to have a Toga Party. Just schedule it the night before a sea day as you will have quite a bit to clean up for us. :D:p:eek:

Keith

Archived