Shorts in MDR?

CRocks

Shorts are still fine, except on Elegant night. From carnival.com:

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Nice like Docker shorts were allowed in the MDR on my last cruise. Been awhile, just wanted to make sure nothings changed. Also, with the anytime dining, can you go to either dining room? Thanx

Yes I personally think shorts are fine. We always have worn shorts. I wouldn't recommend gym shorts, but as long as they are nice shorts I think it should be fine. We usually wear khaki shorts and always felt like we were dressed fine.

As far as the anytime dining and elegant night, yes atd still participates, but I will warn you, you will probably feel really over dressed in a tux. I'm not saying don't wear it, but you don't see many tuxedos anymore.

Does ATD do "elegant night"? I have changed to ATD for upcoming cruise and plan on "tuxing" it but was just curious... also does the steakhouse accept penguins?

On the first elegant night on the Pride a couple weeks ago I saw 6 tuxes during the early seating.

Does ATD do "elegant night"? I have changed to ATD for upcoming cruise and plan on "tuxing" it but was just curious... also does the steakhouse accept penguins?

Of course! ATD is the same as traditional dining in pretty much every way, except you can go eat anytime you choose between around 5:45 - 9:30pm, when you are ready, and when you are hungry. The flexibility is awesome!

As far as the anytime dining and elegant night, yes atd still participates, but I will warn you, you will probably feel really over dressed in a tux. I'm not saying don't wear it, but you don't see many tuxedos anymore.

I know but the last 3 or 4 cruises I did not dress up and I (my wife) missed it so this time we are doing for US. Don't care about the others, in fact it might just be fun. The first night is steakhouse and the second night is elegant in MDR so after that back to shorts.

Nice dressy shorts, like golf shorts, with 10" legs (not the 7" or 5" hugging certain parts of the anatomy) are perfectly fine on non-elegant nights. Leave the cargos for day wear. Add a nice polo, or a linen shirt, or an understated tropical shirt (no dancing hula girls) and you'll papi chulo.:)

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Yes, you can wear your decent shorts to the MDR on Casual Nights on Carnival cruises.

~~~~~

We were on the Miracle 10/5-10/13. There were LOTS of shorts in the MDR on both men & women (not all of them were "Dockers" type, but none were gym shorts). A few women wore velour "sweat" pants and matching hoodies. Some men wore Dressy button down "sport" shirts, some polos, some shirts with ties. Some women casual dresses, some capris, some pants. Everyone looked fine, there was a wide variety of attire though.

Of course, much like the no reserving of deck chairs, this is pretty much ignored on most of the Carnival ships I've been on.

Nice dressy shorts, like golf shorts, with 10" legs (not the 7" or 5" hugging certain parts of the anatomy) are perfectly fine on non-elegant nights. Leave the cargos for day wear. Add a nice polo, or a linen shirt, or an understated tropical shirt (no dancing hula girls) and you'll papi chulo.:)

Thank-you Mr. Blackwell. We shall heed your advice so we don't end up on your "worst dressed" list.:rolleyes:

Archived