Best way to dispute not fulfilling terms at booking

ptuder

I'm not sure of the best place to pose this question and don't want to violate CC rules for naming a TA.

What is the best way to report or deal with a TA that is not living up to the terms of their original confirmation. Our cruise is leaving in a little over a week and I called the agency to confirm when we could receive confirmation of their payment of the OBC. Their response listed a reduced OBC than what we were shown on our confirmation. After talking with a couple of folks they now send us a new confirmation that states that it replaces all prior confirmations and gives a different OBC which is more than they said we would get last week but $150 less than what we were initially promised.

We originally booked March 2011 for a November 2012 cruise. We paid in full March 2012. We used a site that lets TA's bid for your booking.

I will report that to the BBB and their local Chamber of Commerce but what other options? I don't want others to trust this agency. I think it is just disappointing that these types of people get away with these actions.

Would the cruise line want to know about these issues?

Did any of the original terms of the booking change?

When we found a substantial drop in price and asked the TA to see if they could get it for us they were able to do so, but it dropped our OBC by $75.

Since we changed the terms they of course had the right to change.

However, if no terms changed and the original agreement is in writing I would assume they are not living up to the legally binding agreement and you may have the right to legal action. Since the cost of action would negate the benefit I doubt many people take action, but you could proceed in small claims court if you wanted.

Thanks to all for your responses.

We never changed any of the terms from our original booking. We will be in the same cabin at the price originally quoted.

We thought about small claims court but not sure the effort and frustration is worth it. I am just so disappointed that these things happen and I think they know that there isn't much we can do about it. We can't cancel, we really don't have much leverage so they get away with it. I'm sure I am not the only one this has happened to.

Definitely contact the bidding site first. They were very helpful when I was going to be charged a cancellation fee, as my original paperwork said "no cancellation fees". They may step up to the plate for you, if you have the written paperwork from your original booking. I have used this site a number of times and always get great service.

Then as others have posted, contact the BBB and State Attorney General's Office. You might also want to post on tripadvisor dot com (you can name names there).

Good Luck!

I've used the bidding site that you are (probably) talking about with no problems, but I do think some of the bids are quite questionable and vague as to what they are offering. It seems to be quite a problem with certain TA's (not just on this site), that much is promised but not always delivered.

On a certain large online TA, for example, I have never once been able to get the cruise at the advertised price, OBC, perks, etc. when calling in. There is always an excuse; not on this sailing, not in your cabin category, not for your....whatever.

I would start with contacting the bidding site first and go from there. TA's need to be held accountable for their offers, promises and contracts.

I would report them as you noted to both the BBC and the cruise line.

Keith

I'm sure you meant the "BBB", not the "BBC" (honest mistake), unless, of course, the British Broadcasting Corp. thought it might be a newsworthy item.:rolleyes::D

Others have said "if you have the original bid" then take it to....such and such. If you are on the bidding site (which I've used plenty of times) you would have your original record from the TA on there. You can go back and look at all the request you've ask for on there, the one's you didn't accept, the one's that you did and booked. It will give you everything.

Also, try taking it above the TA's head. I had a few issues with a TA that I used on there and took it to his supervisor and got my issues resolved. (This is the supervisor of the actual company that you ended up booking with). :)

It won't matter now but for future reference ALWAYS get it in writing exactly where the OBC is coming from. Is it a perk from the cruise line? Or is it from the TA? It can make a big difference in how you go about getting things sorted out. And as others have pointed out, if the OBC is from the TA you should also have it in writing if the amount of the OBC is dependent on any factors such as the cruise fare, etc.

Archived