CHOICE AIR - pros & cons

sharke

For those of you who have used Choice Air can you tell me why I should or should not utilize this service? What benefits can I expect? For some general information we will be traveling to Buenos Aires where we will embark. Planning on arriving 1-2 days early and staying at a hotel using our points (not associated with the cruiseline). Am I correct in my assumption then, that any airport to hotel transfer and hotel to port transfer will be on our own? At first look, Choice Air appears to be a good 'choice' but then again I'm just not sure what I'm actually getting. Looking for your first hand advice. Thanks

Review he Choice Air Sticky at top of page and all your questions will be answered. I use it several times a years and have never experienced a problem. Prices, especially for one way fares are excellent. I have saved thousands!

ChoiceAir is often the best deal easily available for International, especially if one-way travel is involved. Domestic ChoiceAir prices can often be beat, especially if you branch out to look at SW, JetBlu, etc. I have used ChoiceAir several times for one-way International [to pick up a TransAtlantic cruise] and have been pleased. Last year we did ChoiceAir DCA-BOS-FCO for less than $500, when the same flights booked directly with the airline would have been over $2800:eek: I don't think that ChoiceAir includes local transfers no matter what day you arrive.

Thom

ChoiceAir is often the best deal easily available for International, especially if one-way travel is involved. Domestic ChoiceAir prices can often be beat, especially if you branch out to look at SW, JetBlu, etc. I have used ChoiceAir several times for one-way International [to pick up a TransAtlantic cruise] and have been pleased. Last year we did ChoiceAir DCA-BOS-FCO for less than $500, when the same flights booked directly with the airline would have been over $2800:eek: I don't think that ChoiceAir includes local transfers no matter what day you arrive.

Thom

You can purchase a Celebrity transfer if you arrive the day of the cruise,b ut it is usually the most expensive way to get tothe pier.

Choice Air one way international and multi destination tickets can indeed save a lot of money. However the reason they save so much money is they are bulk fare tickets and therefore generally have severe restrictions attached if something goes awry (i.e. missed connection, long flight delay or cancelled flight). If everything goes smoothly you will not even realize they are different tickets than if you had purchased the tickets directly from the airline. However if irregular operations occur difficulties are likely to arise. Choice Air has stated on this board that they will do their best to work around any issues and even pick up the tab for additional expenses that materialize if flight delays/cancellations lead one to miss their cruise. Hopefully they will make good on this promise. I feel comfortable booking them so long as there are no tight connections and I am arriving a couple of days before my cruise - but would rather pay more for tickets purchased directly from the airlines if there are tight connections or I am not able to arrive more than a day in advance; in sch a situation to me it is imperative to not have tickets that come with heavy restrictions so that it will be easier to work around any issues that arise that might impact my chances of making the port in time.

Choice Air one way international and multi destination tickets can indeed save a lot of money. However the reason they save so much money is they are bulk fare tickets and therefore generally have severe restrictions attached if something goes awry (i.e. missed connection, long flight delay or cancelled flight). If everything goes smoothly you will not even realize they are different tickets than if you had purchased the tickets directly from the airline. However if irregular operations occur difficulties are likely to arise. Choice Air has stated on this board that they will do their best to work around any issues and even pick up the tab for additional expenses that materialize if flight delays/cancellations lead one to miss their cruise. Hopefully they will make good on this promise. I feel comfortable booking them so long as there are no tight connections and I am arriving a couple of days before my cruise - but would rather pay more for tickets purchased directly from the airlines if there are tight connections or I am not able to arrive more than a day in advance; in sch a situation to me it is imperative to not have tickets that come with heavy restrictions so that it will be easier to work around any issues that arise that might impact my chances of making the port in time.

Would insurance pay for hotels, etc. if there was a snag? Would only use CA for trip back home after a TA.

Would insurance pay for hotels, etc. if there was a snag? Would only use CA for trip back home after a TA.

Every insurance policy is different as to what they cover, when they cover and how much they cover. Generally significant wiggle room needs to be built in for connections (both from cruise ship to your first flight and for connections between flights); the amount varies from policy-to-policy. Also even though one might be covered, how much coverage is provided for a missed connection can be important - if your insurance pays $250 for missed connection and you need to purchase a $2,000 new ticket one is still out a lot.

For those of you who have used Choice Air can you tell me why I should or should not utilize this service? What benefits can I expect? For some general information we will be traveling to Buenos Aires where we will embark. Planning on arriving 1-2 days early and staying at a hotel using our points (not associated with the cruiseline). Am I correct in my assumption then, that any airport to hotel transfer and hotel to port transfer will be on our own? At first look, Choice Air appears to be a good 'choice' but then again I'm just not sure what I'm actually getting. Looking for your first hand advice. Thanks

I used Choice Air in late December for a January 2 cruise out of Buenos Aires. Got a great price and no problems with the flights other than our luggage staying in Lima an extra day on the return flight.

I was having a hard time dealing with the United Airlines luggage trackers whom, I assumed from the accent, were in India. I had difficulty understanding them, so I called Choice Air and they went to bat for me and got me the information on the luggage's location and estimated arrival.

I was quite pleased with their service.

I just used them again for our flight to and from Venice for a Greece and Turkey cruise and had no problems at all with getting on a later flight after our plane was delayed getting into Paris and we missed the connection. We had transfers from the ship and the ship had the airline information so they were able to ascertain that we would be on a later flight.

If they have a good price and connections that work for you, I see no reason to not go with them.

I was ticketed through Choice Air for my recent cruise and missed my connection in Paris for the flight to Venice. We were re-ticketed for the next flight 2 .5 hours later and given a voucher for a sandwich and a beverage by the airline. No one ever mentioned "Choice Air"

We were treated exactly the same as the thirty or so other passengers who missed the same flight due to late arriving planes.

I am certain you have reasons for your theory, but I have found no evidence of the problems you propose with a missed connection.

I booked a one-way flight to Europe with Choice Air earlier this year, and I had a lot of trouble. My original itinerary was a 2-leg flight for total flight time of about 12 hrs. on a carrier we liked. Without notifying me, my flight was changed. The 2 legs became 3 legs, the 12-hr. flight became 18 hrs., and the carrier was changed. I tried calling them many, many times and was told every time that the rescheduler had my information and would call me back. It took me 3 weeks of calling to finally get the proper person, who said that I had "slipped through the cracks." Eventually things got straightened out.

I know many people have had good experiences with Choice Air, but my experience was stressful and unpleasant. However, the savings were so substantial, I wouldn't rule out using them again. I now have a direct contact there and more experience, so things might not be so bad next time.

I booked a one-way flight to Europe with Choice Air earlier this year, and I had a lot of trouble. My original itinerary was a 2-leg flight for total flight time of about 12 hrs. on a carrier we liked. Without notifying me, my flight was changed. The 2 legs became 3 legs, the 12-hr. flight became 18 hrs., and the carrier was changed. I tried calling them many, many times and was told every time that the rescheduler had my information and would call me back. It took me 3 weeks of calling to finally get the proper person, who said that I had "slipped through the cracks." Eventually things got straightened out.

I know many people have had good experiences with Choice Air, but my experience was stressful and unpleasant. However, the savings were so substantial, I wouldn't rule out using them again. I now have a direct contact there and more experience, so things might not be so bad next time.

It sounds like you purchased a FLEX ticket where you are not guaranteed the airline that you originally picked. This can be avoided by purchasing and paying for the ticket, and not using the FLEX option which is more like traditional Cruise Air.

I was ticketed through Choice Air for my recent cruise and missed my connection in Paris for the flight to Venice. We were re-ticketed for the next flight 2 .5 hours later and given a voucher for a sandwich and a beverage by the airline. No one ever mentioned "Choice Air"

We were treated exactly the same as the thirty or so other passengers who missed the same flight due to late arriving planes.

I am certain you have reasons for your theory, but I have found no evidence of the problems you propose with a missed connection.

I believe you went on the same airline on the same route? Some of the issues on these bulk tickets come into play when you need to be rerouted. I missed a connection out of Venice a couple of years ago. I was supposed to fly Lufthansa direct to Vancouver. Because there weren't any restrictions on my ticket they transferred me to Air Canada through Calgary. Some bulk tickets you must stay with the same airline on the same route. I'd have had to stay overnight in Frankfurt if that were the case.

In order to protect ourselves we always book our air and hotels through Celebrity. If there is a delay Celebrity will work to get you onto another flight even if it is a different air line so that you won't miss your cruise and they will work with the hotel as well. If Celebrity cancels a cruise or changes the departure date or port of departure and you have booked your own air or hotel then you are on your own. We have always been very happy with letting Celebrity take care of everything.:)

In your situation, everything worked out fine. What you do not know is what would have happened if there were only 10 seats on that next flight. The person in charge has to prioritize travelers. You can not put 30 people into 10 seats. Reality sometimes bites.

I am not saying you should not use Choice Air. For many people in many situations, it is a good way to go. Just pointing out possible issues with bulk tickets.

In your situation, everything worked out fine. What you do not know is what would have happened if there were only 10 seats on that next flight. The person in charge has to prioritize travelers. You can not put 30 people into 10 seats. Reality sometimes bites.

I am not saying you should not use Choice Air. For many people in many situations, it is a good way to go. Just pointing out possible issues with bulk tickets.

The other possible explanation for KelliePoodle's pleasant experience is that his/her tickets might not have been the severely restricted variety often sold by Choice Air. Some Choice Air tickets carry these restrictions and some do not. The problem for the consumer is that he/she cannot review all the fare rules before the purchase and therefore does not know whether the tickets carry severe restrictions such as NON-REROUTABLE and NON-ENDORSABLE.

The other possible explanation for KelliePoodle's pleasant experience is that his/her tickets might not have been the severely restricted variety often sold by Choice Air. Some Choice Air tickets carry these restrictions and some do not. The problem for the consumer is that he/she cannot review all the fare rules before the purchase and therefore does not know whether the tickets carry severe restrictions such as NON-REROUTABLE and NON-ENDORSABLE.

The tickets I purchased were actually "refundable" for a fee of $75. I did inquire if we would be put on the next flight should we miss a connection and was assured that we would.

In order to protect ourselves we always book our air and hotels through Celebrity. If there is a delay Celebrity will work to get you onto another flight even if it is a different air line so that you won't miss your cruise and they will work with the hotel as well. If Celebrity cancels a cruise or changes the departure date or port of departure and you have booked your own air or hotel then you are on your own. We have always been very happy with letting Celebrity take care of everything.:)

That's exactly why we use Choice Air, too, and we've done very well by them. When we were on the Solstice, we arrived the day of the cruise and I never worried about it for even a minute. I wouldn't recommend doing this, by the way, but if you ever have no choice but to arrive at the 11th hour like we did, Choice Air is the only way to go.

That's exactly why we use Choice Air, too, and we've done very well by them. When we were on the Solstice, we arrived the day of the cruise and I never worried about it for even a minute. I wouldn't recommend doing this, by the way, but if you ever have no choice but to arrive at the 11th hour like we did, Choice Air is the only way to go.

If you miss your cruise Celebrity will only assist you in booking a new flight as any travel agent would do if you booked through them.

They won't guarantee you will make the ship, as many seem to think.

The tickets I purchased were actually "refundable" for a fee of $75. I did inquire if we would be put on the next flight should we miss a connection and was assured that we would.

Being put on an airline's next flight and being rerouted on a different airline to get where you need to be are two completely different things.

I totally disagree. If you have to arrive day of Choice Air would be the worst idea as you are more likely to have fare rules attached to your ticket that make it harder to be rerouted or to have your ticket endorsed to another carrier; likewise you are more likely to have low priory for standby on a later flight on the same airline. While Choice Air has stated that they will help, they make no guarantees. I consider Choice Air if it will save a lot of money AND I am able to book flights without tight connections AND am able to arrive at least two days before the cruise. Otherwise it is safer booking directly with the airline so it is easier to be accommodated during irregular operations (i.e. missed connection, long flight delay, or flight cancellation).

I totally disagree. If you have to arrive day of Choice Air would be the worst idea as you are more likely to have fare rules attached to your ticket that make it harder to be rerouted or to have your ticket endorsed to another carrier; likewise you are more likely to have low priory for standby on a later flight on the same airline. While Choice Air has stated that they will help, they make no guarantees. I consider Choice Air if it will save a lot of money AND I am able to book flights without tight connections AND am able to arrive at least two days before the cruise. Otherwise it is safer booking directly with the airline so it is easier to be accommodated during irregular operations (i.e. missed connection, long flight delay, or flight cancellation).

Well you've certainly given me some food for thought. Now excuse me while I go to read the fine print!!!! :o

We will be traveling back to the USA, from Rome, at the end of our TA/Med cruise. We hope to get non-stop to DC. So we will not be under pressure to make a cruise---just to get home. This alleviates a lot of the problems mentioned here.

DH HATES to fly but there is no way to get a ship back :) I even looked into tramp steamers!

Praises are often given when everything goes as it should. the real test is when a problem happens. Is there a human available 24/7 who can assist you? Not always. The cruise line is not always honest. On my last cruise, we kept trying to checkin online the day prior to departing. We kept getting thrown out. We then asked the concierge/guest relations on the Silhouette to call USAirways and get up to date info on our flights. We were told that everything was on time. We were on Celebrity's transfer to FCO and 5 minutes prior to arriving at the airport we were told that our flight was delayed 6 hours. Celebrity dumped us at the airport and offered no help. We were told that when we arrived in the Philadelphia airport, USAirways would book hotel rooms for people who missed their connections. As we arrived into PHL, the gate agent announced that "there were no hotel rooms available in Philadelphia....and if you could find a room there would be an $89 voucher toward the room." Several people were devastated. I got on expedia and found lots of rooms near the Philadelphia airport. Neither Celebrity nor USAirways were helpful. When we arrived home, there was several emails sent on the day prior to the flight explaining that there would be delays due to service needed on the aircraft. Not thrilled with the lack of help and misinformation given by both Celebrity and the USAirways. Once the cruise ends, do not rely on getting help from Celebrity. The bottom line is that people lie...and you are on your own.

Great point.

Archived