Golden Princess vs. Star Princess

JohnnJudy

The Golden features Elua, the Hawaiian duo of Dave and Leialoha, who offer lots of fun cultural activities during the cruise (e.g. lei making, hula and ukulele lessons, special musical performances, etc.). Having them onboard makes the cruise extra special.

The two are sister ships. Very little difference with layout. Cabins are the same. The Golden has extra suites on the Sun Deck aft which were added during a dry dock. The Star has the youth center in this area. The Neptune's Reef Pool on the Star was reconfigured during the last dry dock. The wall between the Bar and the pool was removed opening up the deck area for additional seating. The splash wall around the pool was converted to the typical flat top seating. The 'wave' effect wall was removed.

While Elua are on the Golden, the decision is a no brainer - take the Golden. They provide so much enjoyment through the music, ukulele lessons, hula lessons and lei making.

In 2014, when they switch to the Star, I will start taking the Star. But I take this itinerary twice a year, and until they leave the Golden, neither will I.

We are thinking of booking a 14 day Hawaii cruise in late April 2013. Any preference, pros or cons would be appreciated.

Thanks

I can tell you that the Star is a wonderful ship, well cared for by an attentive and friendly crew.

If fate required that you take the Star, rather than the Golden, you would still have a great cruise.

Everyone says that Elua on the Golden is not to be missed, so try the Golden, if you can.

Either way, enjoy :)

Aloha!

Aloha Kakou,

As usual, big mahalos for everyone's kind words about Leialoha and myself. I thought I would just clear up one point made here. Right now, as it stands, Leialoha and I will be on the Star in 2014, but we will also be there for 2013. What we consider the Hawaiian "Season" starts in Late-September (or early October) and extends through May. So, we will be here on the Golden until May of 2013. We will then go on the Star when she begins regular Hawai'i runs out of LA in October of 2013 and will stay through May of 2014.

But, I must also point out that no matter which Princess ship you choose, you will undoubtedly have a wonderful time. Great food, relaxing sea days and time in Hawai'i...you can't beat it.

Malama Pono,

Dave

(of Elua)

http://www.eluaworld.blogspot.com

We just got off of a cruise to Hawaii on the Star two days ago. We chose it because of the "home port advantage". It was a fantabulous cruise. There was lei making and Hawaiian music on board and a hula show in Honolulu but Eula sounds great. Some of our entertainment wasn't great but the service and food were incredible.

We just got off of a cruise to Hawaii on the Star two days ago. We chose it because of the "home port advantage". It was a fantabulous cruise. There was lei making and Hawaiian music on board and a hula show in Honolulu but Eula sounds great. Some of our entertainment wasn't great but the service and food were incredible.

Glad you ejoyed your time on the Star. We board her in 84 days!!!!:)

The Golden and Star are sister ships along with the Grand. They are laid out the same except for the Skywalkers lounge which was removed from the Golden.

No, it was not removed from the Golden. It was only removed from the Grand; the Golden and Star both still have the elevated Skywalker's.

I feel like a broken record. Haven't I corrected this before?

No, it was not removed from the Golden. It was only removed from the Grand; the Golden and Star both still have the elevated Skywalker's.

I feel like a broken record. Haven't I corrected this before?

I wonder if they'll remove the others? I like Skywalker's. We also liked the Star more than the Golden but it could have just been the cruises, personnel, etc.

I wonder if they'll remove the others? I like Skywalker's. We also liked the Star more than the Golden but it could have just been the cruises, personnel, etc.

None of the others are scheduled to be removed. It needed to be done on the Grand as the heavy weight of the first Skywalkers Princess had was causing structural problems. Future versions had a design and materials that weighed significantly less.

None of the others are scheduled to be removed. It needed to be done on the Grand as the heavy weight of the first Skywalkers Princess had was causing structural problems. Future versions had a design and materials that weighed significantly less.

Interesting. Thanks for the information. I remember when the Grand first was in service it was nicknamed the "shopping cart of the Caribbean" Presumably because Skywalker's looked like the handle of a shopping cart.

Interesting. Thanks for the information. I remember when the Grand first was in service it was nicknamed the "shopping cart of the Caribbean" Presumably because Skywalker's looked like the handle of a shopping cart.

It is supposed to look like a whale's tail from the rear of the ship.

It is supposed to look like a whale's tail from the rear of the ship.

Well now that you mention it there is a resemblance. Thanks for the info. You're very knowledgeable.

I always thought Carnival's stack looks like a whale's tale too.

Considering the amount of shopping done on cruises I think the shopping cart nickname is funny and since I read the nickname before I actually saw one of the ships it's stuck in my mind.;)

The Golden and Star are sister ships along with the Grand. They are laid out the same except for the Skywalkers lounge which was removed from the Golden.

Not really. At least it was there yesterday when we left her. Take the Golden and take advantage of all that David and Leialoha have to offer. I did the ukulele classes...even though I play and really enjoyed his instruction. My wife made a couple of bead necklaces that they helped with and enjoyed their two-piece band that typically plays each day.

Take the Golden

Mike & Linda

Not really. At least it was there yesterday when we left her. Take the Golden and take advantage of all that David and Leialoha have to offer. I did the ukulele classes...even though I play and really enjoyed his instruction. My wife made a couple of bead necklaces that they helped with and enjoyed their two-piece band that typically plays each day.

Take the Golden

Mike & Linda

do you need to bring a ukulele ?

Archived