Decorating for your Holiday Cruise/s Stateroom

Trekker954

I'll be on four cruises between Nov. 29 thru the New year. I think I should invest a little to bring holiday cheer to my staterooms. All I have so far is a magnetic candy cane that I'd like to put on the door. Do you think someone will steal it. I'm assuming those doors are magnetic on the outside??? I guess I can write in our names to make it less attractive to any thieves. Has anyone decorated their balconies with those solar lights or battery operated lights. Does RCI allow that?

What are some other ideas people do who are crusing over the holidays.:confused:

Life size Santa from Party City for your cabin door (but expect people to be out there taking pictures when you try to leave your room lol) Target has USB powered christmas trees ( I just got one for our cruise $6.99) Window clings if you have ocean view or balcony :)

I would be worried someone would steal your deco off the door.

We put battery operated lights on our balcony on the RD.....one night we came back to our cabin and they were now strewn over a picture on the wall.......the cabin steward was told to take them off the balcony because it interfered with the bridge..:rolleyes:

I've always enjoyed seeing when Prominade room windows are decorated. I've looked at some of the window clings as we do have a balony on each of our cruises so maybe I'll pick some of them up. I've sort of read some very old posts that mention the cruiselines don't like lights on the balconies.

We used garland and battery powered lights on our balcony with no problems. No one took any decorations off our door, but we also put the "gel" type decorations on the door and they stained the door somewhat. We used alcohol wipes and nail polish remover to get rid of the stains. I would not recommend using them.

I would be worried someone would steal your deco off the door.

We put battery operated lights on our balcony on the RD.....one night we came back to our cabin and they were now strewn over a picture on the wall.......the cabin steward was told to take them off the balcony because it interfered with the bridge..:rolleyes:

that is a legitimate safety hazard. there are strict guidelines as to what lights may be where( as well as what color) Coast Guard Regs.

that is a legitimate safety hazard. there are strict guidelines as to what lights may be where( as well as what color) Coast Guard Regs.

Well,I had no idea........and didn't have a problem when they took them down,,

love the pics :)

I have always decorated my door on cruises...last year we did a Christmas cruise, and I not only decorated my door but did a little decorating inside the cabin...I hung a small wreath I had made with a nautical theme...I also had a small Christmas tree...I had brought a few shells to hang as ornaments...and then I bought an ornament (inexpensive ones) from each port we went to on the cruise to add on to the tree...I enjoyed the holiday cheer inside my cabin :D

have fun!

I like the photos also. I don't want to stain the door. I like the idea of the over the door clip. Or if they are magnetic, those heavy duty wreath hangers should work if we chose to bring something like that. I think I'll go low key in our stateroom as its cramped for the most part.

I'll be on four cruises between Nov. 29 thru the New year. I think I should invest a little to bring holiday cheer to my staterooms. All I have so far is a magnetic candy cane that I'd like to put on the door. Do you think someone will steal it. I'm assuming those doors are magnetic on the outside??? I guess I can write in our names to make it less attractive to any thieves. Has anyone decorated their balconies with those solar lights or battery operated lights. Does RCI allow that?

What are some other ideas people do who are crusing over the holidays.:confused:

When we cruise over Christmas, I take a small (2 foot) battery operated Christmas tree with me and decorate it for the cabin. Then I put garland around the cabin door and put stickies on the door itself. Also put garland in the cabin. Love being on the ship for Christmas.

We did New Year's last year and decorated our door. Bands of roving feral teens seemed to get a kick out of swiping some items. Caught one kid in the act pulling a '2012' streamer off the door, and he dropped it and ran off. Another time a stick-on decoration was removed, but my son found it on a door on another deck where his room was. I'd think the decorations that incorporate a bunch of smaller 'grab-friendly' items are more vulnerable. Giftwrapping an entire door or something similar is probably pretty safe since it is not good for a grab-and-go. I'd write 'please return to cabin ### on the back of stuff, cuz I think they are often just randomly placed on somebody else's cabin. Overall, decorating was fun and i'd do it again, but it's just a bit sad some do feel obligated to mess with it.

Magnets work very well. I buy a roll of strip magnet that is sticky on one side. I cut pieces the necessary sizes and stick them to the back and voila! The decorations stick almost everywhere- doors, hallway walls, connecting cabin doors... :)

are the doors on all RCI ships magnetic? I will be cruising this Saturday on Navigator...can anyone confirm that the cabin doors are magnetic?

Last year on our Christmas B2B we taped a large cardboard Santa on the door and used clingons all over the balcony doors. No one bothered anything and it was very easy to clean up and throw away when the cruise ended. They also fit nicely in the bottom of your luggage. I noticed some cabins had a small stocking on the door handle or the hand rail full of small candy canes for people passing by.

I took some candy canes and folded five and ten dollar bill like an accordian attaching then with a festive bow and gave then to the crew on Christmas day. It seemed to make them very happy I know they miss their families on the holidays.:o

are the doors on all RCI ships magnetic? I will be cruising this Saturday on Navigator...can anyone confirm that the cabin doors are magnetic?

They are metal so magnets will stick to them. No, they aren't magnetic. :D:):D

We have purchased holiday and vacation magnets from fridgedoor.com and decorated our doors.

We decorated our door with a large plastic ooster and put some fake spiders web across the hall and in the cabin hallway for halloween.

We came back after dinner and it had been pulled down by the supervisor of the room attendants. We were told we could decorate inside the cabin but not outside. Had the same problem with the gel decorations in that they stain, was very hard to get the stain off... Oops.

Also told we could not use any lights as they are a fire hazard. This was on rhapsody.

Did Xmas b2b on Liberty last year and put large Plastic Santa Decorations on the doors with Blu tack. Attendant was quite happy and also allowed us to decorate the rooms.icon14.gif

saw quite a few doors decorated including some all gift wrapped up, no issues on board re stealing or anything.

:)

We did New Year's last year and decorated our door. Bands of roving feral teens seemed to get a kick out of swiping some items. Caught one kid in the act pulling a '2012' streamer off the door, and he dropped it and ran off. Another time a stick-on decoration was removed, but my son found it on a door on another deck where his room was. I'd think the decorations that incorporate a bunch of smaller 'grab-friendly' items are more vulnerable. Giftwrapping an entire door or something similar is probably pretty safe since it is not good for a grab-and-go. I'd write 'please return to cabin ### on the back of stuff, cuz I think they are often just randomly placed on somebody else's cabin. Overall, decorating was fun and i'd do it again, but it's just a bit sad some do feel obligated to mess with it.

I am disappointed to hear of folks having door decorations stolen. It speaks so poorly of RCCL passenger base. We had a simple flat cardboard sombrero stolen off our door on the Allure. I amazes me that someone needs to steal a door decoration. What next?

M

I want to make sure I don't use anything that stains or I can't get off the door or get the staff mad. I also love that the ships are all decorated around Thanksgiving. I'll be on the Jewel, the Independance, the Liberty so I look forward to some festive doors. I'm also on the inagural Celebrity Reflection and hope they are in the festive mood as well. I understand Celebrity is a bit more conservative than RCI but I certainly expect them to have a tree and such.

I am disappointed to hear of folks having door decorations stolen. It speaks so poorly of RCCL passenger base. We had a simple flat cardboard sombrero stolen off our door on the Allure. I amazes me that someone needs to steal a door decoration. What next?

M

It was more than likely some teenagers or pre-teens who think it is funny to maybe move door decorations to another unsuspecting cabin's door...I don't think it is usually done with malicious intent...I've had door decorations moved around but I don't think anything was ever actually stolen or taken down

It was more than likely some teenagers or pre-teens who think it is funny to maybe move door decorations to another unsuspecting cabin's door...I don't think it is usually done with malicious intent...I've had door decorations moved around but I don't think anything was ever actually stolen or taken down

I agree. Kids think differently and think it is funny to move door decorations around - or whatever they do with them. We have had some of ours "go missing" and we have also had a cabin attendant keep track of them..she was very cute. She would see us and come right over and point out the one(s) she found a few doors down and let us know she was putting them back on our door/wall. The one that kept being moved around, oddly was a 'congratulations Diamond" one

Archived