Best Calm water soft sand beach in St Thomas and St Martin

Luv1204

While in St Thomas what would be the Best calm water, away from the crowds, soft sand beach to visit for the day. I would like a beach with a place to get a drink, maybe a sandwhich, and a clean bathroom. Also how far by taxi would it be after getting off the Oasis.

I guess the same question goes for our day in St. Martin.

I am good in Nassau, we are planning on grabbing a daypass at the Sheraton. Thanks in advance.

On St. Thomas, Magan's Bay fits most of your criteria, except that it is crowded. We like Sapphire Beach too. Very close to the pier where Oasis docks (Crown Bay pier), there is Emerald Beach (also known as Lindbergh Beach)...I have not been there myself, but I have heard/read wonderful things about it. Quiet, clean beach, gentle surf. There is a Best Western there, and you can use their facilities. It's a relatively inexpensive cab ride. (You could walk there...however, don't use a map from mapquest...find walking directions over on the St. Thomas port of call board here on cruise critic). The next time I go to St. Thomas, Emerald Beach will be our choice.

On St. Martin, most people like Orient Beach. But, it is crowdedm and one side of it is clothing=optional (although it is possible to totally avoid this part). We liked Maho Beach at the foot of the airport runway...a very cool and unique experience when the jumbo jets land, but the beach isn't so nice for swimming/sunbathing. We did a wonderful tour to both of these places, along with other interesting sites on St. Martin, which is highly recommended especially if you've never been to St. Martin before. (http://www.bernardstours.com) We usually go to the beach in town (Great Bay Beach). You could walk there (approx 1 mile) or take the inexpensive water taxi. It's quiet, budget friendly, soft sand, gentle surf. There is sea grass, though, so you might want to wear water shoes.

Edited by DonnaK

We have been to several of the beaches on St Thomas including Magen's Bay. They are nice, but, can not compare to St John. We took a ship excursion to St John for $40/pp We left at 9:30 am and took a ferry to St John and then it toured the island by water. Then we had 3 hours free time to go to the national park 9or anywhere). Then we had the ferry back with 2 rum punch. Got back at 4:30pm. We were the last excursion back on the ship. It was well worth it and almost the same price as doing it myself.

One thing in favor of Maho (besides the planes) is that part of the island is on the leeward side so wind is blowing out - less waves usually. One reason we parasailed on that side was in rare event of cable snap we would blow out and not back over land. The Sunset Bar at one end of Maho has food and beverages. Beach was OK (nice sand) but had a steep slope. Downside was no shade except at the bar.

Does anyone know anything about Honeymoon Beach on Water Island, I read you can take a 8 minute ferry from the cruise dock. Sounds like it could be a cool idea depending on how the beach is.

I also just looked at the Emerald Beach link and that beach looks really nice and close to the port, Thanks for everyones thoughts!

Does anyone know anything about Honeymoon Beach on Water Island, I read you can take a 8 minute ferry from the cruise dock. Sounds like it could be a cool idea depending on how the beach is.

I also just looked at the Emerald Beach link and that beach looks really nice and close to the port, Thanks for everyones thoughts!

Honeymoon Beach is a wonderful beach - very calm waters and an uncrowded beach. Back in 1973 and 1974 my family vacationed at the Water Isle Colony Club over Spring Break and Honeymoon beach was the beach for the hotel. Unfortunately, the hotel was destroyed by Hurricane Hugo and what was left was torn down. The hotel ran a water taxi service for guests. Now there is small ferry service. It only takes about 10 minutes to get there. Just plan on getting a return ferry that gives you enough time to get back to the ship.

I tried to post the link, but they took it out. Here it is in the usual code.

www dot vinow dot com backslash waterisland backslash getting there underscore wi backslash (or just google water island ferry schedule)

Edited to give web address they took out.

http://www.**********/waterisland/gettingthere_wi/

Edited by DebJ14

My vote is for Lindquist Beach or as it is called now Smith Bay Beach:

in St. Thomas

I believe Donna meant Lindquist instead of Lindberg:) And Emerald Beach is another location entirely.

And Mullet Bay Beach in St. Maarten which is the next beach over from Maho so you could visit both beaches easily:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdistKykBI&feature=fvsr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKLiYHTIKkM&feature=related

Edited by BecciBoo

Look at Secret Harbor on St. Thomas. I was able to get my 85 year old mother in the water there because there were no waves. It's a condo beach and has a nice restaurant and bathrooms plus you can snorkel. The day we were there it was very windy on STT and several ship excursions took refuge there because the other beaches were too rough. Ship excursions on that beach are not the norm, however.

Look at Karakter Beach on St. Martin. It's out by the airport near Maho, but it's at the end of a secluded lane. On one side there is open beach along the airport fence. On the other side there's just one small hotel/cottage place, but no one was on the beach. Big advantage - no vendors. The restaurant is excellent and very popular with the locals and boating crowd. If you buy a drink you get your chair and umbrella free. Free wifi.

On St. Martin I HiGHLY recommend Le Gallion Beach. It is the beach right before Orient and it is very protected. There is also a little beach bar that has food right there. Decent prices, too. The only vendor we saw was a lady giving massages using aloe from a huge aloe leaf. We snorkeled, too, and it was okay. We will go to that beach from now on. I also got a cool sea urchin shell while snorkeling.

Edited by Sheffie

St. Thomas - Emerald Beach. About a 10 minute cab ride from the dock. 30 dollars for 2 chairs and an umbrella. Nice restaurant to the far left of the beach. Not much to do other then hang out.

St. Marteen - we love the north end of the beach. Lots of restaurants and bars plenty of activities.

We were advised to avoid Magens bay and were glad we did. We took a taxi over to this place - http://www.emeraldbeach.com/ it was much quieter, and some of the crew were there. You can use the hotel facilities, (no charge) the pool, and beach bar. We had a great day.

Sounds good. Coud you tell me if there is a charge for a lounge? How much? Thank you

We just went to Emerald Beach for the first time in Oct /12 at the suggestion of a friend and really liked it. Best part it is very close and a cheap taxi ride there. There was a charge for the lounge chairs but I don't recall how much. Here are a couple of photos from our visit there.

P1000787.JPG

P1000788.JPG

We love Emerald beach in St. Thomas. We spent almost 2 weeks in the USVI & BVI last summer and Emerald Beach was our favorite St. Thomas. It has the calm waters of Magens without the crowds. There is limited snorkeling from the beach off to the left by the rocks. You can also rent kayaks and peddle boats at the Best Western. The pool is very nice and the beach bar is fantastic. Here are some of our Emerald Beach photos.

232323232%7Ffp63394%3Enu%3D3362%3E465%3E499%3E245346558%3A252ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp633%3A%3B%3Enu%3D3362%3E465%3E49%3B%3E245346558%3C252ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp538%3A%3B%3Enu%3D3362%3E477%3E8%3C5%3E24534779%3B6252ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp53999%3Enu%3D4%3A64%3E9%3C4%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D3394%3C3%3C%3A69343nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp539%3A5%3Enu%3D4%3A64%3E9%3C4%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D3394%3C3%3C%3A42343nu0mrj

Hope this helps.

I believe Donna meant Lindquist instead of Lindberg:) And Emerald Beach is another location entirely.

Lindbergh Bay is Emerald Beach - one and the same place (take a look on Google maps).

I would also say it's a great spot for what you're looking for and really close to where the Oasis docks. There are a couple of bars (attached to the hotels) where you can use the facilities and free Wifi for those who are interested.

We've been 3 times and it's never been crowded.

Great pictures of that beach by the way emmy and HappyHappy1 - here's a link to the beach on Youtube

Edited by Bobal

We were advised to avoid Magens bay and were glad we did. We took a taxi over to this place - http://www.emeraldbeach.com/ it was much quieter, and some of the crew were there. You can use the hotel facilities, (no charge) the pool, and beach bar. We had a great day.

Can you tell me what the taxi price was each way? Thank You

>>Best calm water, away from the crowds, soft sand beach to visit for the day. I would like a beach with a place to get a drink, maybe a sandwhich, and a clean bathroom<<

Unfortunately you cannot find all of these attributes at one beach because having a perfect beach will attract everyone like you. So you have to settle for some and not others.

To be away from crowds the recommendations above for Honeymoon Beach on Water Island, Lindquist Beach on St Thomas, or one of the quieter beaches on St John are the best choices. The soft sand is also available at the STJ beaches and Lindquist, we've not been to Water Island.

To have more amenities (food and drink) you need to allow for more ppl and look at Secret Harbor or Sapphire on St Thomas. I would avoid Lindberg Bay (aka Best Western Emerald Beach Resort), Coki (although gorgeous beach and softest sand, just busier because it's a small bay), and Magens.

For St Maarten we'd avoid Orient Beach, very busy vibe, we spent a week there. I would look at Bay Roughe or Happy Beach, and Bay Long where La Samanna is located, a very nice and pricey restaurant.

Taxi from Havensight was $6 per person (each way) when we cruised in two years ago, should still be similar. Taxis in St. Thomas are expensive. If you are coming into Havensight this is one of the cheapest rates you will find via taxi.

Actually the taxi rates are reasonable here, it's only $9 - 10 pp each way to the nicer East End beaches. Renting a car is also affordable here since your auto insurance is in effect in the USVI.

Can you tell me what the taxi price was each way? Thank You

Taxi from Crown Bay was $4.00 per person each way. We really liked Emerald Beach. It was NOT crowded at all when we were there. Chairs rented for $7.00 but we did not rent any, just put our towels on the sand. One thing I want to point out is that a couple people on this post have mentioned using the pool there, there is a sign that specifically says the pool is to be used by hotel guests only. I suppose it's possible you could get in and out and nobody would say anything to you, I didn't take the chance. Princess has such nice freshwater pools, I didn't feel the need to have a pool on the island, I enjoyed swimming in the nice calm ocean!