Formal nights on Celebrity (Australia & NZ)

As we all know all the rest of the nights are casual/smart casual. Even I found out on this thread here that my suit is certainly not considered formal enought for Cunard!!! Besides it only comes out on the formal nights so I can enjoy the ship and go to the shows and use the bars and lounges inside.

For me I hate the semi formal nights that require jackets. Never liked them at all. I prefer the smart casual. For my it is just long pants, collared shirt and shoes. All easy. Formal nights are usually the welcome aboard, farewell and maybe once in the middle of the cruise. I have no problem putting on a suit if it means getting into the welcome aboard cocktail party with loads of free drinks on offer :D

Thank you Ceejay, your post has been passed onto all members of our travelling party. I really appreciate your comments and honesty. Something i am unclear of is the American reference. We have traveled on many cruise ships before, all American, with American itineraries. Including NCL, RCC and Carnival, the dress code is fine. Smart casual usually on those ships include Jeans and even Bermuda shorts. Formal on those ships include nice clothes but as you stated, one persons formal is not anothers.

Please don't misunderstand me, we will not come into the MDR with board shorts and singlets. And i have many suits ranging from $400 to $1500. Your missing my point. It's my holiday and i don't want to take my suit. I will take some simple black pants and a simple jacket but i'm having fun and i paid $8000 to have fun over 14 nights i will have it how i like. As for the comment about my wife i think its rude and EXACTLY the tall poppy attitude i was talking about. Hope i never meet you on a cruise.

Sutho and CeeJay, thank you for comments. Need more people like you posting honest information rather than the other up-themselves opinions i have read.

After this cruise i will post pictures and give my own experiences.

Thanks

Sej

Hi Sej,

By US style, I guess I was referring to the more formal attitude to evening attire than I have experienced on P&O Aus. On P&O, jeans and shorts seem to be allowed, but that has not been my experience on HAL or Star (my Princess cruise was a short one, so the dress code was loose!)

If you don't want to pack your suit, hiring is an option. For you and anyone else interested, I found the website for the company that hires out to HAL, Celebrity, Disney and Princess here: http://www.cruiselineformal.com/. Hiring formal gear can reduce your luggage considerably, and you don't have to launder it when you get home ;). I just had a squizz and the formal package starts at $85 US including tux, two wing collar shirts, bow tie, cummerbund and cuff links. And no, I don't work for the company, just sick of lugging the other half's heavy suit. It is the only one he owns and the only time it gets an airing (other than weddings and funerals!), but as carry on luggage for the flights it is a pain to travel with.

Just keeping it in perspective ... Most of the people you will be cruising with will have never heard of Cruise Critic, and will not have given anywhere near as much thought as you have into what will be considered acceptable attire!

Cheers

ARGGG!!!! Do i need to ring Celebrity to somehow arrange a refund for myself and my travelling group of 17? We will not be wearing a suit. When we booked and paid for this cruise RCC told us and showed us (pictures) that formal was not overboard and that neat and tidy dress was perfectly normal and allowed. They also told my wife and the other 5 women that nice pants were perfectly acceptable on the Solstice and 'Don't believe everything your read on the net'. They told us that jeans and shorts, even board shorts were all ok.

Now i have 4 members of our group ring RCC tomorrow to see if they can get a refund because of the tall popping attitude here.

Please for the sake of honesty, someone who has actually been on the boat and knows for sure post your experiences. Sutho, thank you for your pictures and honesty. You look great. I and my friends will NOT look like you at dinner i can assure you. But i appreciate that you want to wear that.

And for the record, my wife and i earn over 250k a year. We are choosing to NOT dress like that. Its a a relaxing holiday for us. We bought the drinks package and we are relaxing.

Sej

Sejanus

I was on board the Century last year for the Xmas/New Year cruise so I feel that I am qualified to comment.

In the first instance I would stay clear of discussing dress standards on the Celebrity boards, the discussion degenerates into a slanging match pretty quickly there and its not easy to get an answer that would give you confidence that you are on the right track. :rolleyes:

Sutho has quoted the dress standards on Celebrity above and yes these are the standards you will be required to adhere to.

The biggest problem I think for you will be the formal nights in the main dining room if you choose to attend those nights. Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie with no exceptions. Its not necessary to wear a tux or white tie but the suit shown in Sutho's photos would be quite suitable for those nights.

Ladies on formal evenings are generally able to dress in "after 5" wear and this would include a nice pair of dress pants. I wore dress pants or a little black cocktail style dress (LBD) last year.

If you want to dine in the main dining room on the non-formal-night evenings then the "smart casual" dress rules apply. Unfortunately you will never be admitted into the main dining room or the speciality restaurants in your board shorts or holiday gear. You may be allowed into the restaurants in your jeans as long as they are a bit dresser than your weekend daggy pair and you have teamed them up with a nice shirt (either a polo or buttoned).

To be honest its a bit easier for the ladies to slip into the formal dress standards than the gents I think. Ladies can dress basic clothing up and down with accessories but for the men a suit and tie must be exactly that.

I can tell you however that in my opinion no one pays much attention to what anyone else wears. We are all on holidays and winding down for the year was the priority for most.

I hope this helps puts things into perspective for you. If you travel agent has suggested you can live in your boardies for the whole cruise then you have been sold a story. I do hope however you can find a solution to your dilemma without cancelling as you are like us - this trip is all about winding down after a big year at work and the relaxing with a drink in hand is a big part of that. As is the fact that the phone and emails wont be able to find us. The relax factor worked so well for us last year that we are doing the same trip this year and this is despite the fact that I personally despise dressing up when I should be relaxing.

cheers

Jacinta

I will also add that a large proportion of the passengers on board the Century last year were Australian and Kiwi and I did not detect one shred of one-up-man-ship when it came to the dress ups, :D

Hmmm - I guess that would depend on what you mean by "one-up-man -ship" :confused:

Barry

Thanks JacintaH, another informative response and we appreciate it. I won't be wearing thongs, boardies or jeans into any of the dining venues, that's just not us. What was getting me cranky was the instant shutdowns you mentioned exist on these forums regarding dress codes. Some members of our party are considering not going on the cruise because of some peoples comments in reference to dinner jacket / sports coat... must wear a dress type attitudes.

After taking some advice from people here i have visited the forum of the ship i will be going on and i am happy to say we will have a great time. 90% of the posts on those forums support what you aid. Nice tidy 'formal' dress but tux's etc were not required. Sutho's pic is spot on and even considered by many to be over formal as the use of a sports coat is becoming much more common on celebrity.

Thank you all for turning my feelings back the way they should have been regarding the 'formal' issue. This information has been passed to the others and i hope they stay. I also hope others read this information.

These opinions can be very intimidating for first time cruisers and although i am not, i can understand how my friends would feel. Especially when one is told that this is the 'wrong cruise ship' because of the type of jacket or dress.

Thanks all

Thanks JacintaH, another informative response and we appreciate it. I won't be wearing thongs, boardies or jeans into any of the dining venues, that's just not us. What was getting me cranky was the instant shutdowns you mentioned exist on these forums regarding dress codes. Some members of our party are considering not going on the cruise because of some peoples comments in reference to dinner jacket / sports coat... must wear a dress type attitudes.

After taking some advice from people here i have visited the forum of the ship i will be going on and i am happy to say we will have a great time. 90% of the posts on those forums support what you aid. Nice tidy 'formal' dress but tux's etc were not required. Sutho's pic is spot on and even considered by many to be over formal as the use of a sports coat is becoming much more common on celebrity.

Thank you all for turning my feelings back the way they should have been regarding the 'formal' issue. This information has been passed to the others and i hope they stay. I also hope others read this information.

These opinions can be very intimidating for first time cruisers and although i am not, i can understand how my friends would feel. Especially when one is told that this is the 'wrong cruise ship' because of the type of jacket or dress.

Thanks all

Welcome to the CC Boards - if you are a "first timer" or have thin skin, NEVER ask questions about dress codes or tipping!! :D

However, this place is fairly tame - If you REALLY want to get ripped up about dress codes, go on over to the Cunard sub-Forum. :D

Barry

Funny thing just happened here!! :D While we are talking about dress codes and Aussies and cruiseships and Americans , etc -- a bloke just walked past our place with a Poodle. Not just any Poodle - but one with the FULL French cut

Well so what?, I hear you say - you see a lot of them in Paris.

The "bloke" looked like this http://squackle.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/blokesl.jpg

:D

Barry

Thanks all

The majority of the time you will probably all enjoy the casual cruising. When it comes to the formal nights it will be up to each of you what to do. You can either dress down and enjoy the buffet, chill out by the pool, enjoy a few drinks on deck. From my understanding it is only the main dining rooms and formal lounges that restrict access to formal dress on designated nights.

Hmmm... I see you use the plural quite a lot...can't help wondering however if your wife actually shares this chauvanistic view. Most women love the opportunity to dress up occassionally, and formal nights on a cruise are ideal for this... and their partners should also dress accordingly.

If you feel the need to just relax, wear your board shorts and generally be a yobbo, perhaps you are on the wrong cruise ship.

Why? Are you a hooray Henry that wears a tux to the pool. Or bores people by big noting himself? Measures his superiority by his outfit...in other words someone most are polite to but move away from quickly? You like to use the word yobbo - I like to use the word 'old fart'

And while we are on the subject of chauvinistic....isn't it a bit chauvinistic to be talking for her yourself? Or do you adhere to that old fashioned notion a husband always talks on behalf of his wife because she is just so incapable of signing up and saying it herself?

I don't think anyone said anything about wearing board shorts on formal night to the MDR...my god man where did you think he would be wearing them? To Blu?

Welcome to the CC Boards - if you are a "first timer" or have thin skin, NEVER ask questions about dress codes or tipping!! :D

However, this place is fairly tame - If you REALLY want to get ripped up about dress codes, go on over to the Cunard sub-Forum. :D

Barry

Or re dress/tipping to the 'American Forums' e.g. Princess, Celebrity etc.

I still have battle scars for debating tipping/dress codes over there.

Remember my advice..'Go to Lowes for your Clothes.' and 'Tip how you like, tipping is a personal matter.'

Here endeth the sermon for this Sabbath.

Thanks all

I also hope your party for your cruise stays together. It would be great to get some feedback from you all on how the trip went. I have notionally earmarked an Asian itinerary for next years holiday cruise.

Thanks all

I have not cruise on Celebrity so I am not the best person on this topic. However, on all of the other lines I have cruised with my husband and son who hate wearing a suit and me who has not worn a dress for over 30 years we have coped just fine and eaten at the dining room on formal nights.

The boys wear a dinner/sports jacket and place it over the back of the seat when they sit down. They wear a dress shirt but no tie and have never been stopped. I wear pants and add a bit of bling. So not all ladies like to dress up and some like me like to feel comfortable and enjoy good food.

I am sure you will have a great time.

Or re dress/tipping to the 'American Forums' e.g. Princess, Celebrity etc.

I still have battle scars for debating tipping/dress codes over there.

Remember my advice..'Go to Lowes for your Clothes.' and 'Tip how you like, tipping is a personal matter.'

Here endeth the sermon for this Sabbath.

Anyway Les - I'm not talking to you -- you sold your faithful old Tux to some Op Shop in the UK -- Shame!!! Shame!!

Barry

Speaking as someone who has hasn't worn a suit or tie in over 20 years I don't see what the big deal is. I've found the simplest technique is just to dress in black and no one notices you even if you are wearing jeans. Dress codes are rarely as strictly enforced as some people imagine.

The formal dress code only applies to the MDR anyway so just take the opportunity to eat elsewhere. Best to avoid the whole issue.

It also helps to take notice what other people are wearing out and about of an evening these days. Pick up the latest fashion trends of what the style is. In my line of work I have been to clubs, pubs, bars, restaurants all over Newcastle and the Hunter Valley. Usual evening wear is jeans or trousers with the collared button up shirts. Polo shirts seem less common now. The shoes men are wearing these days seem to be the leather type pointed toe slip on's. I noticed that a bit around here and also in Sydney close to the Opera Bar as I always park my car at the Opera House when I do my photgraphy in Sydney. As for that suit I wear that is also the kind people wear to weddings. Facebook is good to see what people wear as well and I have never seen anything less than a suit at a wedding.

Just my observations...

I've changed my Avitar...just to get me in the mood for our cruise on Solstice next Feb ;)

cheers

Very smart Flipper, love the blue dickie bow. I hope you will pack your bogan gear too though, Fourex T shirt, stubbies and thongs, plus Fourex stubby holder of course. LOL.

Yeah' date=' but didn't he buy it from an op shop? He was just recycling![/quote']

Barry Bazzaw and Eileen, stirrers you two, no, I bought if from Lowes for $99 15 years ago and donated it to the Oxfam Shop in Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire, post Arcadia, it had shrunk.

Now I have to wear my Lowes grey suit to formal nights, will do me thanks, I will not be on Cunard, unless I win Lotto.

Barry

Barry - We are watching you - even on the AU and NZ board - there is no escape.

Louise D.

Cunard FP - Southern Region.

Barry - We are watching you - even on the AU and NZ board - there is no escape.

Louise D.

Cunard FP - Southern Region.

There you go Barry, the Cunard Special Branch have you under observation, you had better go and buy another tuxedo to go with the other 3 you have. Got to keep the standard up on Cunard old boy, even in steerage class. LOL. Or are you in Queens Grill or perhaps Princess Grill? Surely not in Britannia with the plebs.

Tally Ho. Rule Britannia, God Save the Queen and all that.

Archived